Washington State Ferries

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;174603]Fuck the microwave this is the only way to go…

http://www.popcornpopper.com/36038.html[/QUOTE]

I think we got a brand new one somewhere in the basement collecting dust, unless it got donated to charity or re-gifted? Oh well. They’re handy though

You mean fourth captain?

Does anyone have experience being an On-Call Seaman for Washington Ferries?

I’m a “desk” jockey in my late 20s who is seriously considering a career change - I cannot stand office work!

I have a strong work ethic and I’ve always had a passion for sailing and the water but have no prior experience.
This seems like a great career opportunity with room to rise through the ranks. Putting in the hard work and paying my dues starting from the bottom to become captain eventually sounds VERY appealing to me.

Would anyone know how often OC seaman actually work for the Ferries? Sadly I have college bills that need to be paid, and I’m not sure I can support myself if I’m working 4 hours per week for months on end :confused:

[QUOTE=Quimby;174500]http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/yourwsf/employment/

Washington State Ferries looking for 60 new deckhands | The Seattle Times - http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/washington-state-ferries-looking-for-60-new-deckhands/[/QUOTE]

This was a very nice article. I would be interested in working shore side for a ferry terminal. I am from Staten Island, NY and ride the SI ferry all the time. It is a very smooth operation and sometimes they have four boats on the water at a time. I think it would be really interesting working on the shore side end of the entire process.

Does anybody know what the requirements for these deckhand positions are?

I’m a deckhand on a commercial fishing boat in New England. I’d like to stay on the water but need something with a more steady income than fishing.

Appreciate it

Does anybody know what the requirements for these deckhand positions are?

I’m a deckhand on a commercial fishing boat in New England. I want to stay on the water but need something with a more steady income than fishing.

You have to live in Washington and start off on a “on call” basis until you have enough seniority to get a permanent ferry spot.

[QUOTE=VibrationTech;174834]You have to live in Washington and start off on a “on call” basis until you have enough seniority to get a permanent ferry spot.[/QUOTE]

I’m from Everett originally so could always go back. Or I could use my parents WA address and see if they call and if not whatever. Always be more opportunities.

Thanks

[QUOTE=tugsailor;174597]Oh… Fraq, you are a real shit disturber! The power is out, but I’m already making popcorn on the woodstove. This is gonna be good.

( By the by, how many guys under 50 know how to make popcorn without a microwave?)[/QUOTE]

I do, but I also make brown bag microwave popcorn. . . . .cheaper than the prepackaged stuff. . . yet I digress. . . again. . .

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;174603]Fuck the microwave this is the only way to go…

http://www.popcornpopper.com/36038.html[/QUOTE]

A large wok also really kicks ass. . .I have had one like you linked to, but it can’t beat a wok. . . or brown bag microwave popcorn. . .

I applied online, and nowhere did it say you have to be a current resident of Washington State, just if you have a driver’s license that allows you to drive in Washington State. They ask you if you’re willing to relocate, and I wrote that I’d move there if I got the job. Does someone here know otherwise, that they won’t hire someone that isn’t currently a state resident?

It depends on how competitive the job market there is. If they have a bunch of local applicants they’d probably choose them first.

I love popcorn and I never use a microwave. Just buy some of the packages of kernels, throw a single layer of it in a pot with just enough vegetable oil to cover them and cook over medium heat. Im in my mid 20s now and it’s how I’ve made it for roughly 10 years. Way to be agist Tugsailor. Just remember to put the cover on the pot or you’ll suffer from cognitive dissonance.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;177060]It depends on how competitive the job market there is. If they have a bunch of local applicants they’d probably choose them first.[/QUOTE]

They usually have a line down street applying for any Washngton Ferry job. Every new hire starts out “on call”. Which means that you will get called sporadically to work one day, or maybe a few days at a time. I think almost everyone starts as an OS. So you must live in the Seattle area, and it won’t be more than an occasional part time job to start with.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;174603]Fuck the microwave this is the only way to go…[/QUOTE]

Geez, what a wuss … here’s how real men make popcorn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbbROe8xOZQ

I’m a Chief Mate with the ferries. Pension is 2%× years of service based on your high five earning years. Captain pay is roughly 110k right now not including overtime. So if you put in 30 years and averaged 110k could be quite a bit higher if you work OT Pension would be 2%×30=60% of 110k or 66k. Then when you start collecting there is a COLA that is supposed to track inflation.