Vintage Soup

Anybody her who have tried this soup in Bangkok??:

2 Likes

Bon appetit! It is well so good that no Dutch food inspector can pay them a visit because their fun would then probably be over.

Dutch food inspector on holiday would be welcome, I believe.
As long as they came as paying guests to enjoy the soup, that is!!

2 Likes

I wonder how many molecules of the original soup are in its present incarnation.

i think this concept really does have some potential… like aged liquor or something but I really really can’t see how this can really be. but yea, I’d sure like to try it.

You just keep it on simmer and add something to it every day. Nothing new except the claim that this particular pot of soup has been running for forty years continuously.

1 Like

Some cooks used to have what was called the “phantom pot” that was constantly simmering. It contained both meat, bones and vegetables and was used as a base for soups and gravies as far as I know.

1 Like

There is more to perpetual stewing then meets the eye. I think that the method that the stock is sieved every night is to be preferred. All the flavors and goodies of the ingredients in the stock are extracted so get rid of these and start anew the next day with fresh meats and veggies with the sieved stock.

However, the type of stew made at Wattana Panich is not kept constantly cooking around the clock, like many perpetual stews in restaurants in the United States. Instead, the chefs adopt a Chinese technique, and take the soup off the heat every evening, when service is finished.

They drain the huge pot, and strain the soup, taking care to remove all of the small pieces of meat and vegetables. The remaining stock is then cooled and stored carefully, to prevent any spoiling. This is then used as the base for the next day’s soup.

According to BK Magazine, the chefs at Wattana Panich add 55 lb (25 kg) of fresh beef to their soup every day, which is cooked twice to ensure that the meat is perfectly tender. The juices from the fresh meat mingle with the existing soup from the previous day, to produce an incredible depth of flavor.

Food safety is not endangered if the fluid is kept above 60° C.

You can read further details in the link and the detailed report which is linked on that page. But, basically as long as your food stays above 140°F / 60°C, according to this report, it should remain safe “indefinitely.”

1 Like

So there was a CE sitting at the counter of the cafe down by the docks looking into a bowl of soup quite dejectedly. In stumbles the oiler fresh from the bar. He sees the Chief and ask if he’s going to finish his soup. No says the Chief so the oiler reaches over and starts in on it. He almost finishes it when he sees a dead mouse in the bottom of the bowl. He pukes everything back into the bowl.
The Chief says “That’s about as far as I got too”.

4 Likes

Best joke this month! :rofl:

I actually ate there and thought it was great. If travel becomes possible I’ll get more !

1 Like

On a Dutch Shell tanker I sailed on the captain was always shouting at his personal Chinese steward. I must say that the guy was not the brightest around and made many mistakes hence the captain’s frustration. At the end of the year and softened by the Christmas spirit the captain said to the steward that he would try to be less offensive in the future. The steward answered with the famous words: “Thank you kindly captain then I promise not to piss in your soup anymore.”

3 Likes