Vessel inspection checklist

I work for a small tug company. I’ve been delegated the task of coming up with a vessel inspection checklist for a daily to an annual and everything in between. Can anybody help me out by sending me their company’s checklist or if you know of a good website I can find this information? I’ve got a good idea of what needs to be done but putting it all down on paper and giving all the task designated times is a bit overwhelming for me considering the short amount of time I’ve got to do this project. Any help would be much appreciated.

Use what the Coast Guard will be looking for when they conduct their inspections. That way you will know you have EVERYTHING required by CFR. Here is the link to the form they will use, as well as the guide book.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/TVNCOE/documents/toolbag/UTV_Exam_Form.pdf
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/TVNCOE/documents/toolbag/UTVGUIDEBOOK.pdf

Good info from scallwag. For daily checks I’d consult the CFR’s for that they expect for each voyage. we log a test (state satisfactory or not) of all equipment including Nav lights, Nav equipment, compass, communications, charts/pubs, steering/propulsion, lifesaving etc. if you had this printed in the log or a separate inspection book it would be slick to just initial daily.

[QUOTE=Sharknado;141580]I work for a small tug company. I’ve been delegated the task of coming up with a vessel inspection checklist for a daily to an annual and everything in between. Can anybody help me out by sending me their company’s checklist or if you know of a good website I can find this information? I’ve got a good idea of what needs to be done but putting it all down on paper and giving all the task designated times is a bit overwhelming for me considering the short amount of time I’ve got to do this project. Any help would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

When I was a Vessel Manager/Port Captain I performed a full USCG/ABS inspection every quarter on each vessel. The captain came around with me during the inspection and a list of deficiencies was given to rectify. It wasn’t a session designed to scold anyone but if we found something wrong it gave us plenty of time to fix before our inspections. And it also gave you 2 more inspections throughout the year to catch items that occurred down the line.

Never had a boat get a no sail item, just minor 835’s depending on the inspector.