Veolia marine

Has anybody worked at veolia? I have seen the job posting for them on career builder but go to their website and can’t find anything for able seaman. Any info would be great!

[QUOTE=jordanr5904;106051]Has anybody worked at veolia? I have seen the job posting for them on career builder but go to their website and can’t find anything for able seaman. Any info would be great![/QUOTE]

thats because they dont want to hire americans

Weren’t they giving up on the US anyways? Not the any of them will hire Americans to begin with.

Kanskje det er en mangel på norske sjøfolk

I dont think there is a shortage of Norwegian sailers. I think if a company operates and does business in the US they should have US sailers

talk to ccaptain about it, but use the search function first.

I won’t say any specific about that company (which is not named Veolia “Marine”- and for good reason) since I use my real name and have already gotten myself into enough trouble.
But I will lay out how it works with many companies

• A company brings in a vessel from overseas that already has a foreign crew.
  • They obtain a waiver from USCG for the foreign crew under the bases that they just got to the Gulf and haven’t had time to hire Americans
  • Just before the waiver is to expire, or possibly all along, they advertise for all of the positions they require a waiver for
  • Mariners spend countless hours completing applications, sending resumes, etc for positions nobody has any intention of hiring them for
  • Company compiles a database of applicants and reasons they are “not suitable” to be hired
  • When they re-apply for the waiver - they show that they “darn it… just can’t find any qualified American’s available - but we sure tried”
  • Rather than investigating the situation the USCG just grants the waiver or at most sends a letter telling them to “tighten-up and find somebody before the next waiver” (this can and does go on for years) because it’s much easier than following the law.
  • The cycle will continue perpetually until someone holds the USCG accountable to tie one of these vessels up and the company begins to feel it where they gain most by not hiring Americans - their pocketbook.
  • At present : COST OF AMERICANS - COST OF FOREIGNERS > COST OF ADVERTISING + COST OF LAWYERS
  • The only way it will change: COST OF AMERICANS - COST OF FOREIGNERS < COST OF ADVERTISING + COST OF LAWYERS + COST OF VESSEL DETENTION
    Since I don’t know of anyone with the money, resources, and motivation to hold the USCG acountable - I wouldn’t expect any changes.
    Don’t blame the companies - they are just exercising smart business practice. Blame the USCG for not holding them accountable.