USNS Big Horn Grounding

The rumor mill is going again, anybody have info about Big Horn having issues?

Spill it!

Taking on water???

Yep, we heard the rumor too. Supposedly ran aground and is being towed to dubai

3 Likes

I heard the Crips rebelled against the Jacksonville gang and there was a shootout onboard.

8 Likes

You Josh, but these days at MSC it could absolutely be the truth

6 Likes

Is that a rudder post?

1 Like

Word is there’s no other oilers in the area to refuel the carrier group so they are hoping to refuel with a commercial tanker

3 Likes

Too bad the T-5’s are all in the process of being scrapped. The Darnell and Matthiessen could have done unreps.

3 Likes

Too many ugga duggas on the impact.

2 Likes

Yikes!!

Rudder post (steering gear flat) is a bit aft of the engine room on that ship, through a watertight door and the ECR, and two decks above the lower engine room (John’s photo), so while that’s obviously proper fu@ked, the water is coming in somewhere else.

Used to be a carrier group wouldn’t be in that area without a T-AOE in the region. But lost that redundancy when they laid half of them up.

No AKE in the area? Not that the AKEs carry near enough fuel to support an air wing, never mind the rest of the surface fleet. Good thing there isn’t risk of rapidly escalating regional warfare…/s

9 Likes

I see all the bolt heads broken & the flange a few degrees off, no longer aligned. But if thats the leak they must have mitigated the problem by raising the stern, adding some super heavy compound/grease, activated an air bladder system or sent divers under because its not spewing water in the photo. It looks all dry now?

Could the grounding have sheered the rudder post without water intrusion?

1 Like

Or maybe its a picture with the tide out aground & the water came afterwards?

Worth noting (perhaps), Big Horn is one of the single-hull versions of the Kaiser Class tankers.

1 Like

Yes.

There are two T-AKEs - Alan Shepard and Amelia Earhart

3 Likes

My article this morning about the incident and broader oiler/tanker related problems the US Navy is facing

5 Likes

Video of the flooding

1 Like