Used Engine oil removal

Marine gear heads and people with the knowhow this topic is directed to you and hope you can assist me or help direct me towards the right area. Recently the topic of container ships servicing their engines and dumping the used oil in my native land coastal area came up, the idea of offering a service that helps to remove that oil out of the engine oil holding tanks while the ship is docked and pump it into a tanker truck crossed my mind.

The reason I came here is to pick the brain of those who have knowledge of this operation. Would cargo shippers be willing to participate in this and would they be willing to pay for such a service? As far as the engine room design is the used oil kept in a specific tank that we can easily get into to and remove the used oil? what is the difference between used engine oil and bunker oil and last but not least has anyone witnessed such a company that offers this service if yes please share their information.

No ship should be dumping oil in the ocean. Period.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. I just can’t…

1 Like

Brother your useless sarcasm is not what i need to save my motherlands coast waters. If you were a true sailor to his or her craft you will feel the severity and the sense of urgency of this topic rather than sharing your childish memes…grow up pal !

Sorry i couldn’t resist clapping back at ya !

We’re just boggled and amazed by your naivety that you don’t think there’s already something set up in wherever your “motherland” is for ships to discharge ashore for disposal. It’s been illegal since 1983 to discharge oil overboard for ships of all kinds.

Now whether the ship operators are dumping overboard illegally or not is a legal matter for port state control to start enforcing in your “motherland.”

4 Likes

Thank you for your worthless message. Though as you stated its illegal to do this ships are still doing it and given the fact my “motherland” is a third world corrupt nation, they tend to overlook this since they have terrorism funded by western nations to overthrow stable regimes. I am mind blown that you took all this energy to type copy and paste just to prove a point…

That’s Rich pal !

To answer your question there are services of which you speak in most ports to receive waste oil and sludge from ships.

It sounds as though you’re asking whether, in the absence of enforcement of the laws, the people doing the lawbreaking would pay for a commercial service to allow them to be legal?

If such a service doesn’t already exist in your region, perhaps so. But if it does I doubt that a little competition will make any noticeable difference. And I’d be surprised to find that something doesn’t already exist.

I’ve asked many folks at various cargo ports in my motherland and no such service is neither offered nor does it exist, this is why i cam here asking for you guys kind assistance. So far its been rough like the Atlantic ocean in the winter. Sorry for coming across this way but all you need to do is look at the replies, they have been downright nasty.

Warm Regards !

Well you might be in luck…one of the advantages of living in a

(his words @ombugge, not mine)

is lack of/lack of enforcement of various regulations. In the US, it would be a nightmare trying to stand up a company like this due to the myriad of local, state, and federal requirements and their associated fees, lawyer fees, blah blah blah fees, etc. There, it might be as simple as buying a truck and some hoses.

The problem for you would be what to do with it once you’ve got a truckfull. You seem to not be in favor of dumping it in the local stream (which is good). If you’ve got a suitable disposal method lined up, preferably one where you get paid for providing it, then you’re all set.

One problem I see is that if you’re dealing with shipping companies/crews who are willing pump oil right over the side, then they might not be willing to pay money for this service.

Best of luck!

Oil Sludge Removal Companies in Tunisia

Looks like there might be some limited competition…

1 Like

Oily Waste or “Slop” Disposal is normally requested by the vessel owner or ship manager via their local port agent. Its a common practice in many ports. Slops are collected via tank barge or vacuum truck and then transported to a local disposal facility.

If this is a business you want to get into, i’d suggest to start talking to the local vessel agents who operate in your area.

DM me if you want more info.

Specifically which nation is your motherland?

Thanks for your kind reply sir, I truly appreciate the offer and will DM you.

Tunisia to be precise port of Rades, La Goulette, Gabes and Zarzis.

Have you witnessed or have video/photos of the slop oil discharged to the waters of your homeland? Can you identify specific vessels making such discharges?

I spent a winter getting work done in Bizerte, with much time spent blatting around the countryside on a motorcycle. Yours is truly a land of special beauty, and a far cry from the festering cesspool to your West. I am surprised at your assertion that oil is predominantly discarded over the side, as I saw no sign of it, but I don’t doubt that it’s true; corruption seemed pretty universal in Tunisia.

There are most certainly waste oil removal services already on the market. You should get in touch with the agents to figure out the lay of the land. Just send a few requests for a quote, and you’ll know how much you can charge. You also need to get in touch with SOTUNOL and the like to figure out the disposal side of things.

Given the high volume of shipping through Gabes, an old bunker barge might be the tool for the job. They can be had for scrap throughout Europe, but transporting one to Tunisia might be a challenge, both practically and bureaucratically.

Are your motives idealistic or profit driven? In the former case, your time might go further with a bit of activism. In either case I wish you the best of luck. The Tunisian coast is much too beautiful to get ruined by greedy fat cats!

Aussi, ton anglais est vraiment de la classe pour un tunisien! Ca doit etre ta troiseme langue, ou quoi? Te laisse pas embeter par des salopards qui s’amusent avec toi!

2 Likes

Well I’m a Mariner by trade and that usually comes with a high degree of humility and ability to break balls as well as get my own balls broken.

My sarcasm was for what has been pointed out by several others here on the forum. Waste oil removal is typically available but unscrupulous individuals and companies persist in flaunting the law to save a buck. If your country is as corrupt as you say, no amount of having the right equipment on hand is going to force a dodgy company to do the right thing. I despise pollution, particularly illegal dumping, but the reality is that scumbag people exist in this industry and can make more money by flaunting the law than following it.

2 Likes

My brother if you’re a mariner and can attest to your ballz breaking seamen tradition i can counter that with me being a railroader here in the US, and being a brown boy who had to grow some crocodile thick skin to weather the shit they threw my way. I came here with humility asking for help and i did get the information i needed along with some shenanigans.

As we hoggers say High ball !

2 Likes

I truly appreciate your help brother and no i didn’t get upset at all just had to answer them kindly as one of my all time favorite historical figure would say “speak softly while carrying a big stick” Teddy Roosevelt.
The idea I have in mind is to collect it and distilled it back into diesel, this technology is quite present in the Chinese market. This project has been cooking in my brain for sometime after witnessing a gorgeous land like Tunisia drown in trash due to the absence of firm stern leadership thanks to this bullshit Arab spring. My idea would recycling rubber tires, used motor oil, construction debris, and medical waste.

Turning trash into resources while cleaning the land and employing the locals, rather than see them drown in the Mediterranean chasing their imaginary el dorado.

2 Likes