Uninspected towing vessel question

I was informed by the coast guard that an UTV can not go more than 12miles off shore but I know of them going out of the country. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks

It would be interesting to know what USCG person told you this. And what else was being discussed. And what rank, position this person has. I suspect that you have only told part of the story… or only understand part of the discussion.

UTV’s can go wherever, whenever, and however they want. The limits are the tonnage of the vessel, the license held by the operator and the actual capabilities of the vessel. It would be an extraordinarily ignorant CG person to make such a statement that you have asserted.

I was on a 97ton tug that took on water 14miles offshore and when we called the coast guard that were freaking out that we were “that far out”

If the master has a near costal licsene thats good for 200 miles . Peroid. There should be no other issues.as the post before said unless the vessels have some restrictions.

It doesn’t have any that I’m aware of

Did the tug have a load line assigned?

No it didnt

What USCG district was it? Who was freaking out?

It’s bc they prob didnt want to take the trek out there even tho it’s there job.

It was south of galveston and it was ether someone on the cutter or the helicopter. I didn’t hear the person say it. My capt was informed it

This falls in the category of “bullshit”.

There are two Coast Guards:

1. The SAR guys who risk their lives to keep us safe. (These are the good guys)
  2. The rest of the Coast Guard.

I have a feeling the story got muddled up before it got to you. The “good guys” Coast Guard doesn’t care what kind of boat you’re on. Their job is to save lives. The rest of the Coast Guard will be happy to hang you from your nuts (and sometimes that is very well deserved) if they get half a chance. But if someone from the USCG said that you were someplace you shouldn’t have been due to your Uninspected status, they’re uninformed.

If you have an inland license you may operate your vessel up to12nm seaward of the demarcation line (I think)

Both capts had near costal. Sounds like it is BS

I believe that is the limitation for non ABS inspected barges due to insurance and CG exception. You can get a waiver from the CG for more than 12 NM but it may be costly.

The boundary line is the the point that distinguishes between inland near coastal or ocean waters. In the Gulf of Mexico (from Marquesas Key, FL to Rio Grande, TX), the boundary line is drawn along the 12-mile line that marks the seaward limits of the territorial sea. 46 CFR 7.105 Inland waters are the navigable waters of the US that are shoreward of the boundary line.

Inland Rules, Part A(o)
“Inland Waters” means the navigable waters of the United States shoreward of the navigational [B]demarcation [/B]lines dividing the high seas from harbors, rivers, and other inland waters of the United States and the waters of the Great Lakes on the United Sates side of the International Boundary.

The [B]boundary line[/B] is a completely different animal, and is dealt with in 46 CFR Part 7:

§ 7.1 General purpose of boundary lines.

The lines in this part delineate the application of the following U.S. statutes: 33 U.S.C. 152 relating to the length of towing hawsers; 33 U.S.C. 1201 et seq., the Vessel Bridge-to-Bridge Radiotelephone Act; 46 U.S.C. 5102(b)(6), which exempt from load line requirements certain vessels on domestic voyages; 46 U.S.C. 3301(6) requiring the inspection of seagoing barges which are defined in 46 U.S.C. 2101(32); 46 U.S.C. 3301(7) requiring the inspection of seagoing motor vessels which are defined in 46 U.S.C. 2101(33); 46 U.S.C. 3302(d) which exempts from inspection requirements certain vessels under 150 gross tons that operate within the waters of southeastern Alaska and the State of Washington; and 46 U.S.C. 8304, “Implementing the Officers’ Competency Certificates Convention, 1936.”
[CGD 81–058, 50 FR 25230, June 18, 1985, as amended by CGD 95–028, 62 FR 51195, Sept. 30, 1997; USCG-1998–4442, 63 FR 52188, Sept. 30, 1998]

§ 7.105 Marquesas Keys, FL to Rio Grande, TX.

A line drawn from Marquesas Keys, Florida at approximate position latitude 24°47.5’ N, longitude 82°11.2’ W; along the 12-mile line which marks the seaward limits of the territorial sea (as defined in 33 CFR 2.22(a)(1)) to Rio Grande, Texas at approximate position latitude 25°58.6’ N, longitude 96°55.5’ W.
[USCG-2001–9044, 68 FR 42602, July 18, 2003]

For example, the Bridge to Bridge Radiotelephone Act applies beyond the demarcation lines to the boundary line, while the Inland Rules do not cross the demarcation line. A guy with an Inland license cannot operate seaward of the demarcation line unless the USCG has granted some kind of exemption, such as to the sea buoy off of Sabine for example.

Both capts had near costal, barge had a load line, boat didnt

This is EXACTLY why IMO is fed up with our rules and wants to not recognize US licenses!

Inland, Near Coastal, Boundary Line, Demarcation Line, Oceans. Either Inland, or Oceans… There ain’t nothing else! You really aren’t in near coastal waters when you are 199.9 miles offshore! Unless you are a company stooge who is trying to beat some regulation or insurance scheme.

[QUOTE=cappy208;49626]Unless you are a company stooge who is trying to beat some regulation or insurance scheme.[/QUOTE]

…and of course that NEVER happens.

You cited the inland rules which, I agree use the demarcation lines. However, for merchant mariner credentialing and which license you have to hold,
regulations concerning merchant mariner credentialing are controlling.

In 46 CFR 10.107(b) the regulations define the inland waters as the “navigable waters shoreward of the Boundary Lines as described in part 7 of this chapter, exluding the Great Lakes, and for towing vessels, excluding Western Rivers.” This is a different issue than which rules of the road apply. Inland licenses are valid out to the 12-mile line which marks the seaward limits of the territorial sea from Marquesas Keys, FL to Rio Grande, TX.