Unanswered Questions

I have two questions regarding the Gulf Spill to which I cannot find an answer anywhere:

1. The ocean floor at the site of the Horizon Deep Water Rig is 5300’ below the surface and the well bore actually runs down to a depth of 18,300’ feet, also below the surface. But what I’d like to know is how far below the ocean floor does the Macondo reservoir actually begin? I saw a recent interview with a member of the senate drilling committee who said most reservoirs today begin at at depth of 10,000 below the ocean floor - can anybody give me the relevant details on the Macondo well?

2. What is the probable diameter of the Macondo well bore? 50’, 200’ 500’?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=dcarlson;37468]I have two questions regarding the Gulf Spill to which I cannot find an answer anywhere:

1. The ocean floor at the site of the Horizon Deep Water Rig is 5300’ below the surface and the well bore actually runs down to a depth of 18,300’ feet, also below the surface. But what I’d like to know is how far below the ocean floor does the Macondo reservoir actually begin? I saw a recent interview with a member of the senate drilling committee who said most reservoirs today begin at at depth of 10,000 below the ocean floor - can anybody give me the relevant details on the Macondo well?

2. What is the probable diameter of the Macondo well bore? 50’, 200’ 500’?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Top of Oil Zone 18083ft Bottom of Oil Zone 18366ft

9.7/8" casing at the top ID 8.625"
7" casing at the bottom ID 6.094"

You might want to check here for good info.

Thanks much - very much. Your answers are very surprising.