Tug Not Working To Stop Ship

Your link made my case. Quoted abstract of paper: “According to the CTX tanker casualty database, machinery failures are an important cause of tanker oil spillage. This paper argues that the current large (over 10,000 deadweight) tanker fleet is experiencing at least two full losses of power or steering per day, and probably more than ten. If this fleet were twin screw, properly implemented, this number would be cut by a factor of one thousand. At the same time, tanker low speed maneuverability would be improved dramatically. All this could be done for a net cost of less than that of the double hull.”

All this talk about tugs costing less than mules ignores the fact that the tugs can’t maneuver in the locks. One or two or even three tugs might be cheaper, but if they were useless you might as well put that money in a barrel and burn it. As for stopping the ship in an emergency you would be wrong to rely on the stern tug. The times I’ve experienced an engine failure on a final approach there was no time for the tug to stop the ship by itself. I was lucky enough to have a bow tug or thruster that pulled the bow away at the same time the stern tug backed. We overlapped, but didn’t touch. That option is not available in the confines of a lock.

When a builder creates a subdivision of 100 houses the extra cost per house to pre-treat the ground for termites, to use modern concrete foam blocks instead of 2x4 stick framing, to use vinyl siding instead of Hardi-plank, to use pvc instead of pec piping and to use double glazed windows are all small percentage points of the final cost of the house, but seldom done around here even though the final product would be infinitely better. Relying on simple initial cost factors ignores long term benefits.

Kennebec made an observation about “piston effect”. I have gone through the canal a couple times on a 500’ vessel and didn’t notice it. I have talked to captains of Panamax ships and Panama pilots who confirm it is real, but it only applies to vessels whose beam approaches the width of the lock. The OOCL Utah appears to have room around the sides for water to flow freely.

Kennebec also made the excellent observation that European locks don’t use mules. I think that’s a good question. It occurred to me that the lock gates there might be a design that’s easier to repair/replace, but I couldn’t find that information in the time I was willing to spend searching.

Lastly Ausmariner noted that the video stopped just when it was about to show contact between the ship and the lock doors. Excellent question - maybe edited by somebody’s lawyers before posting?

FYI - having two engines doesn’t reduce your chances of engine failure, they are doubled.
I have no idea how a tanker with an engine out handles, but at the smaller end of the scale some twin engine boats are a total bitch to handle at low/docking speeds on one. If you run both engines astern in the lock and one craps out, the vessel may not ram the lock ahead of her, but odds are pretty high she’ll twist in the lock and hit something.

Along with single engine, the switch from steam to slow speed diesel was a significant step change in single point failures that could render the ship powerless for some period of time.

I ran the canal years ago and can confirm Kennebec the piston effect, at least was real. It required power to keep moving forward in the lock, and the ship came to a quick stop with the power off. The mules took a strain - but most of the stopping was from the hydraulics in the lock.

Have not been in the new locks - and don’t understand the hydraulics there - but I could imagine pilots are also adapting to them. I am not sure any engine, tug, or even series of mules will stop any ship with significant momentum in a matter of feet.

As with most ship handling in confined spaces the answer may be just to go slower. Enter slower, allow the piston water pressure to drop - go a bit further, etc etc.

Never want to need the next bell, or tug.

The car ship’s beam 32.26 m (105 feet ) was panamax but our draft was under 9 m while the panamax ships draw 12 m. We’d enter the (old) locks on a dead slow but the piston effect is definitely noticeable from the ship’s momentum and the way the mules are being used. The larger, deeper draft ships are sometimes driven in on a full ahead bell.

The new locks were still under construction on my last transit so I don’t know what the situation is there.

2 Likes

Fun with statistics I guess but why not just say that the chances of losing propulsion due to mechanical issues are halved? Chances are most people would rather look silly angled across the chamber than poke a large hole in the lock gate.

1 Like

That is some scary reading! Nothing like how it was run back in the day.

Same incident described in The Loadstar: