Towards zero emission shipping

CO2 is a naturally occurring gas. It seems deliberately cruel to squeeze it into rocks for millennia in such a place. Give it to the bananas, I say, and let it transform itself free at last.

“Free at last. Free at last ! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Cruel to what or who? I didn’t know that a gas or rocks, had feelings (??)
May be the Icelandic feel hurt that their rocks are used this way??

Cyanide is a naturally occurring compound as well. Perhaps you might partake with a CO2 chaser and let us know the benefits.

all that Co2 was in the atmosphere before, in the last few years we are just putting it back from where it came from, did we do something wrong?

1 Like

I can get by without cyanide. I can’t get by without CO2. Nor can you … if indeed it becomes clear you are human.

1 Like

I guess the key issue here is that we did what we did too fast without giving anyone time to adapt.

As for CO2 concentration in the atmosphere, increasing it will have a negative impact on the nutritional value of certain key crops such as rice. The other adverse effects will also offset and likely exceed any gains from “having more plant food in the air”.

The funniest arguments against reducing shipping emissions was about a month ago when someone was worried about “internal combustion engine mariners” becoming obsolete before retirement age. I wonder if stokers thought of the same when oil-fired steam boilers were introduced…

1 Like

Rice ( polished white rice particularly) has no nutritional value, its a 3 P food…
Only good for Pensioners, Prisioners and Phesants…lol
Saying that its good with a currie…

PS Nuclear is the answer if we are worried about Co2

1 Like

The human population is growing, hence we need more food to feed them all.
Is the solution is to bring CO2 level in the atmosphere up to say 1000-1200 PPM to increase agricultural production?

Well, that may bring some different problems, like more drought in dry parts of the earth, which reduce the food production there.
It also bring stronger storms in other parts of the world, causing flooding of agricultural land, thus reducing food production.
There is also the problem with rising sea level, storm surge and “king tides” that cause salty water to flood large part of coastal areas, making the most productive delta areas useless for agriculture, thus reducing food production.

Maybe the climate scientists have a point??

We are not in control of the CO2 level … in either direction.

It will rise or fall naturally anyway and that natural component is about 97% of the total whereas the human component is the rest. So twiddle your CO2 knob all you like and the 97% will still rule the roost.

Remember, China alone produces over half of the human-caused CO2 and you can’t tell it what to do so your options are getting more and more limited to twiddle that useless knob.

I don’t mean to dishearten you. Expend your boundless enthusiasm on solving easier and more pressing human tragedies. Eradicating malaria is easy enough … DDT and cheap mosquito nets can save millions of lives for next to nothing.

Zero emissions shipping saves not a single life. You do the sums.

It’s still an important if not even the primary source of energy, protein, zinc, iron and some B vitamins for hundreds of millions of people in Asia and that makes it one of the most important food crops in the world.

they would be all better off without it.
It just keeps the poor, poor and just alive huge amount of malnutrition in asia because of they crazy idea that polished and washed rice is good for you.
Look at the health and size of Koreans once they got off it and ate cabbage instead

so Co2 rise will cause the death of many and hence the planet will self regulate once a few billion are gone, therefore for the long term survival of the species we need more co2

I am tempted to make a comment on this but prefer to assume there is a healthy dose of sarcasm in your statements

1 Like

no sarcasm, I was in Seoul for their annual parade day when they pedestrianize the town centre and all the Korean war vets come out in uniform. A great family day.
What amazed me was there was the typical 3 generation of each family there and there was 1’ in height difference between each generation everywhere I looked.
I have several friends who are pediatricians in SE asia and they all said, it was getting off rice.
They know full well in poorer parts of asia there are lots of malnutrition issues and its from the locals thinking they should feed children polished white rice they wash to oblivion so its just a starch stomach filler. PPP food
One of my friends was doing work for the gov in Malaysia with orang asli, they can see the kids suffering so they ask how they feed them, same old wash and wash the rice then feed it to them.
They shock the mothers but it works, they wash the rice and then get the kids to drink what was washed off the rice and dont feed them the rice.
A couple of days and the kids are back to normal.

This is going a but off topic but here it goes. Korea has changed tremendously over the years. From the first time I was there in the early 70’s when there was still marshal law until now. As the economy has grown so has the well being of most of the population. When I say well being that includes the amount of food available to the populous in addition to health care and education. The standard of living has advanced to the point of obesity is emerging as a major health concern.
So how do I know this you may ask. I have stated in past posts that I worked in Korea as an ex-pat in the mid 2000’s when the company was building ships there. My wife happens to be Korean. We met and later married there in the early 80’s. She was born on a farm and growing up her family was poor like most of Korea after the Korean war. She tells of sometimes going to bed hungry and the family receiving USAID food, i.e., powdered milk and corn meal that they mixed to make a gruel of sorts. Her oldest brother stayed on the farm as did his kids. This is in stark contrast to her younger sister who lives in the city and kids went to and graduated from a University. Such were the changes in opportunity available to them over the years.

Rice was, and still is a major part of their diet. But their diet today along with the choices they have consists more than just rice and kimchi.

2 Likes

The other reason they got off rice was lack of flat ground to grow it.
Article below says 30 year decline in rice consumed.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/south-koreans-are-eating-more-bread-than-rice-and-noodle.

I wonder what the co2 output is of rice v cabbage?

Kimchi (cabbage) gives me gas so I suppose we must also consider methane exposure. In an enclosed space it can be hazardous.

In the late 60’s the curfew started at 21:00 in Korea if my memory is correct. Their naval academy challenged us to a game of rugby. They played with suicidal zeal but I think that was the first and last time they played a New Zealand warship.

My last ever game of rugby was versus the Kiwi battalion in Singapore (just a friendly game … supposedly) the morning after our ships arrived in about 1986.

I buried my boots at sea in the straits on the way out. Enough said.

Yes in rich Asian countries the average height and weight of the population has grown rapidly for the last couple of generations. They still eat washed and polished rice though, but not with just a symbolic amount of vegetables, or a small piece of meat to go with it. (Sometime only soya sauce)

In the 1960s and 70s I (at 6’) could see over the head of most people walking on the streets of Singapore. Not so today.

PS> I got the impression that the females has grown more that the males (My observation)

Unfortunately the population has also grown fatter. Could the number of MacDonald’s in Singapore have something to do with that??

1 Like