Tonnage

Does anyone know if you can combine Tonnage of the vessel and barge if you are pushing and not an ATB?

I believe you can now but they only let you use a certain % of that time for a tonnage upgrade. Anyone else?

Technically, no, but there is anecdotal evidence that you have a chance of getting it approved anyway.

From a USCG FAQ page:

The regulations published on December 24, 2013, grants credit for service on towing vessels
using the aggregate tonnage on a two-for-one basis (2 days experience equals 1 day of
creditable service) for up to 50 percent of the total service on vessels of 1600 GRT or more. See
46 CFR 11.211(d) and (e).

Service on towing vessels. Service as master or mate (pilot) on towing vessels,
when the aggregate tonnage of the tug and barges is 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT or more, is creditable, using the aggregate tonnage, on a two-for-one basis (2 days experience equals 1 day of creditable service) for up to 50 percent of the total service on vessels of 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT or more required for an unlimited officer endorsement. The remaining required service on vessels of more than 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT must be obtained on conventional vessels. This service must be documented as specified in §10.232(a) of this subchapter.

[QUOTE=Pristinebay;184677]Does anyone know if you can combine Tonnage of the vessel and barge if you are pushing and not an ATB?[/QUOTE]

Yes. See 46 CFR 11.211(e):

[I]Service on towing vessels. Service as master or mate (pilot) on towing vessels, when the aggregate tonnage of the tug and barges is 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT or more, is creditable, using the aggregate tonnage, on a two-for-one basis (2 days experience equals 1 day of creditable service) for up to 50 percent of the total service on vessels of 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT or more required for an unlimited officer endorsement. The remaining required service on vessels of more than 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT must be obtained on conventional vessels.[/I]

However, this may require extensive documentation that may be difficult if not impossible to obtain after the fact. Unlike an ATB, the vessels making up the tow can change, almost daily. The typical service letter saying something overly general like “…with tows of up to 15,000 GRT on inland, near coastal, and oceans routes” may not be sufficient.

If you sail on an Intercon ATB and the tug is 299 GRT and the barge is 16,149 GRT…is there anyway to upgrade from 3/M AGT to 2/M AGT? The total tonnage combined is clearly over 10,000. Obviously we push and are connected to the barge via the Intercon system. I guess 1200 psi at the coupling and able to take 25 foot seas is not considered rigid…right? The NMC said only half of the time would count because the tug is “not inspected”. But the funny thing is, a USCG CWO just came aboard and “inspected” the vessel for a UTV (uninspected towing vessel) inspection.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;184742]If you sail on an Intercon ATB and the tug is 299 GRT and the barge is 16,149 GRT…is there anyway to upgrade from 3/M AGT to 2/M AGT? The total tonnage combined is clearly over 10,000. Obviously we push and are connected to the barge via the Intercon system. I guess 1200 psi at the coupling and able to take 25 foot seas is not considered rigid…right? The NMC said only half of the time would count because the tug is “not inspected”. But the funny thing is, a USCG CWO just came aboard and “inspected” the vessel for a UTV (uninspected towing vessel) inspection.[/QUOTE]

Uninspected towing vessel inspections…one of my favorite contradictions in terms.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;184742]If you sail on an Intercon ATB and the tug is 299 GRT and the barge is 16,149 GRT…is there anyway to upgrade from 3/M AGT to 2/M AGT? The total tonnage combined is clearly over 10,000. Obviously we push and are connected to the barge via the Intercon system. I guess 1200 psi at the coupling and able to take 25 foot seas is not considered rigid…right? The NMC said only half of the time would count because the tug is “not inspected”. But the funny thing is, a USCG CWO just came aboard and “inspected” the vessel for a UTV (uninspected towing vessel) inspection.[/QUOTE]

The regulation for ATB service is essentially the same as I described above for the combined tonnage of a tug and tow. See 46 CFR 11.211(d):

[I]Service on Articulated Tug Barges (ATBs) and Integrated Tug Barges (ITBs). Service on ATB or Dual Mode ITB units is creditable for an original deck officer endorsement or raise of grade of any deck officer endorsement. Service on an ATB or Dual Mode ITB with an aggregate tonnage of 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT or more is creditable on a two-for-one basis (2 days experience equals 1 day of creditable service) for up to 50 percent of the total service on vessels of 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT or more required for an unlimited officer endorsement. The remaining required service on vessels of more than 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT must be obtained on conventional vessels or Push Mode ITBs.[/I]

Inspection status is irrelevant.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;184744]Uninspected towing vessel inspections…one of my favorite contradictions in terms.[/QUOTE]

Mine is an unlimited endorsement with a tonnage limitation. When I can give the explanations above without having to suppress laughter I will know I have been here too long and should retire.

I don’t think so, based on my non attorney interpretation they seal the deal by requiring time on “conventional vessels”

What does the CFR define as a conventional vessel? Clearly ATB’s are conventional in 2016?

But 150% of 16,000 is way over the 10,000 grt mupper threshold to not limit tonnage so that’s how I’d make my case if it were me.

Examination.

Laugh all you want Cavo. That shit is written so it can’t be interpreted plainly and you know it.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;184744]Uninspected towing vessel inspections…one of my favorite contradictions in terms.[/QUOTE]

I kinda like towing by pushing…

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;184769]Laugh all you want Cavo. That shit is written so it can’t be interpreted plainly and you know it.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure his reference to laughter was about explaining “Unlimited license with a tonnage limitation”.