The Presidential Candidates and Their Views on the Jones Act

I’m curious as to what you all have heard and what your opinions are concerning each of this elections candidates? Who is best for the US Maritime economy and why?

Since I have only just joined the MM and have only been of voting age for 2 years, I havent formed too strong of an opinion yet.

Interested to see your thoughts (preferably backed up by evidence).

Cheers,
Cody

Roll Tide!!!

Trump is an interesting topic in respect to the merchant marine. He has shown strong protectionist tendencies but at the same time he seems to want to throw the baby out with the bath water and right into China. I think if he were asked he would probably fiercely defend the Jones Act (if only to piss off one of his great establishment foes, John McCain). In reality though I think he’d probably give all of our jobs to China.

As for the others, who knows? Not a damn one of them (Trump included) knows what the merchant marine is, why it exists, or why we need to keep it. Duncan Hunter is the only politician I’ve ever heard of who knows we’re even here.

As a United States Senator and as Secretary of State, I witnessed firsthand how vital it is for us to have a strong and vibrant U.S-Flag Merchant Marine. The Jones Act ensures that cargo delivered between our harbors and on our inland waterways is securely and safely moved by well-trained American mariners aboard U.S.-flag, U.S. built vessels.

-Hillary Clinton

https://www.seafarers.org/news/2016/Q1/HillaryClintonThanksSIU.htm

[QUOTE=Rafterman;183072]As a United States Senator and as Secretary of State, I witnessed firsthand how vital it is for us to have a strong and vibrant U.S-Flag Merchant Marine. The Jones Act ensures that cargo delivered between our harbors and on our inland waterways is securely and safely moved by well-trained American mariners aboard U.S.-flag, U.S. built vessels.

-Hillary Clinton

https://www.seafarers.org/news/2016/Q1/HillaryClintonThanksSIU.htm[/QUOTE]

Beautifully worded bullshit. I agree with PaddyWest, none of those clowns has any idea we exist (or they just don’t care). The president won’t be the driving force behind any sweeping changes to our industry, we’re just too small and obscure to matter (as far as they know).

But nobody is going to turn away good voters, if they’re ever asked, I’m sure they’ll say they’re behind us 100%. “Go Merchant Marines!”

I see the SIU endorsed her according to FB world news lol

WTF Fraq… Trump was accused of, and convicted for UNION BUSTING! Yeah, I’m trolling you, for the truth!

Don’t you know, Fraq hates Unions.

[QUOTE=Rafterman;183072]As a United States Senator and as Secretary of State, I witnessed firsthand how vital it is for us to have a strong and vibrant U.S-Flag Merchant Marine. The Jones Act ensures that cargo delivered between our harbors and on our inland waterways is securely and safely moved by well-trained American mariners aboard U.S.-flag, U.S. built vessels.

-Hillary Clinton

There’s still no way in hell I’m voting for that lying scumbag CUNT, period. :slight_smile:

LOL, come on man, speak your mind and tell us how you [U]really[/U] feel…

-Hillary Clinton

Yes, and she also “supports the second amendment”…

Great thread guys. Some quality shitposts in here.

[QUOTE=Rafterman;183088]Great thread guys. Some quality shitposts in here.[/QUOTE]

I refuse to swim in this stinking toilet with y’all…FUCK THIS SHIT!

when it finally winds down if anyone wants to hose off I’ll energize the fire pump

Then stay out of this thread. Most of us already know your opinion. I mean this in the most polite way possible as well.

they all sucks equally in their own ways. Ted, don, Hillary and Bernie.

Nobody will support the merchant marine. I’m just hoping to get through my career.

Post your pictures of Trump!

[QUOTE=z-drive;183093]
Nobody will support the merchant marine. I’m just hoping to get through my career.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by support? Whoever gets elected, I doubt the Jones Act is going anywhere. First off, executive branch does not make laws. The “woman” appears to support Jones Act, but she was just giving a speech at a union.

What hurt domestic shipping greatly is that there just isn’t much to ship domestically these days compared to the past. Instead of making stuff in the USA and shipping it around (raw materials to finished goods), it’s all made overseas and shipped here completed. Also, trucking took over a lot–annoyingly. Railroads have downsized a bunch in the last 50 years, but they also became more efficient and reliable.

support in my book is fight for it and push expansion and at the least protect what’s already there: end waivers etc unlike Obama. Jones act waivers are not support.

Just like they support Wall Street and big pharma

[QUOTE=c.captain;183089]I refuse to swim in this stinking toilet with y’all…FUCK THIS SHIT![/QUOTE]

You just did…

Anyhow, thanks for the replies all. Keep them coming. I hate to hear the SIU endorsed Hillary, makes me think twice about signing with them (it was my plan for this fall). No amount of professed support for the MM could convince me to vote for Trump, Hillary or Bernie. Trump is simply a liberal running under the guise of a fierce Republican (and a silly, meglomaniacal, buffoon IMO) and is just as much a liar as Hillary. But I digress…