'The Lawless Ocean' by New York Times

Have you seen the investigative piece on the NYT called ‘The Lawless Ocean’? They just released part 2 or 5 today. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Part I can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/world/stowaway-crime-scofflaw-ship.html

Here’s a brief excerpt:

Few places on the planet are as lawless as the high seas, where egregious crimes are routinely committed with impunity. Though the global economy is ever more dependent on a fleet of more than four million fishing and small cargo vessels and 100,000 large merchant ships that haul about 90 percent of the world’s goods, today’s maritime laws have hardly more teeth than they did centuries ago when history’s great empires first explored the oceans’ farthest reaches.

Murders regularly occur offshore — thousands of seafarers, fishermen or sea migrants die under suspicious circumstances annually, maritime officials say — but culprits are rarely held accountable. No one is required to report violent crimes committed in international waters.

Through debt or coercion, tens of thousands of workers, many of them children, are enslaved on boats every year, with only occasional interventions. On average, a large ship sinks every four days and between 2,000 and 6,000 seamen die annually, typically because of avoidable accidents linked to lax safety practices.

Ships intentionally dump more engine oil and sludge into the oceans in the span of three years than that spilled in the Deepwater Horizon and Exxon Valdez accidents combined, ocean researchers say, and emit huge amounts of certain air pollutants, far more than all the world’s cars. Commercial fishing, much of it illegal, has so efficiently plundered marine stocks that the world’s population of predatory fish has declined by two thirds.

[QUOTE=Mikey;165926]Have you seen the investigative piece on the NYT called ‘The Lawless Ocean’? They just released part 2 or 5 today. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Part I can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/world/stowaway-crime-scofflaw-ship.html

Here’s a brief excerpt:[/QUOTE]

The article is accurate. The writer may be even going easy on the industry. I have seen,had conversations with participants regarding things I can best describe as atrocities. Anyone that has spent time in port in developing countries, talking to mariners from other countries have similar stories. It is part of life at sea for a large part of the world. Big money involved.

[QUOTE=Mikey;165926]Have you seen the investigative piece on the NYT called ‘The Lawless Ocean’? They just released part 2 or 5 today. Would like to hear your thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Quimby’s thread on the topic: http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-news/17354-stowaways-crimes-intnernational-waters-nytimes.html

It’s very interesting and I’m waiting to read rest of it.

What scares me most would be the so called, “actors” you might pull from the water and think you’re saving. Then they turn around, kill you and steal your boat. Or fake police. Gives me the heebee geebees.

The NYT just released the last part in the series, telling the story of how Sea Shepherd chased a notorious fish poaching vessel across the globe until it was scuttled by its crew.

[QUOTE=Mikey;166295]The NYT just released the last part in the series[/QUOTE]

I believe “latest” is a better word since this is part 4 of 5.

Not a huge fan of the exploits of the Sea Shepherd folks, but in this case…I have to give it to them. I couldn’t stop reading that article. Good on them for stealing their net and chasing those fucks to the bittersweet end. Good riddance.

[QUOTE=Quimby;166313]Not a huge fan of the exploits of the Sea Shepherd folks, but in this case…I have to give it to them. I couldn’t stop reading that article. Good on them for stealing their net and chasing those fucks to the bittersweet end. Good riddance.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. If they’re fishing illegally then seize their gear as evidence. Tail them until they go into port so you can call the authorities.

Don’t ram them or sabotage their propeller or anything else that could cause harm to the sailors…

http://maritime-executive.com/article/spanish-authorities-arrest-fishing-crime-leader

Criminals? Lemme tell you about some criminals.

Most of you regular guys know who I work for (primarily). The IG report on one of our ships came out last October. If you want a copy, PM me and I’ll send you the link. It IS public access. I am disgusted. We are supposed to be the stewards of the ocean, but that’s a fucking joke. Oh, and no training or any other meetings came out as a result of this, as I predicted.

BTW, I was never a crewmember on said vessel. I think I would have walked off first opportunity. Walking off is something of a thing here. I’m here two more years and I pull the pin…

Google the IG report (released last Oct) on the NOAA ship RAINIER.

I was never assigned to that vessel, but I can assure you that the attitude described on that vessel appears on several other vessels and since the incident(s) in question, there has not been any meeting or safety stand-down of any kind in any way shape or form whatsover…

Cliffs notes: NOAA ship dumps oil deliberately for x number of years, finally gets caught, crew claims they thought public ships were exempt…

I only heard about this via the grapevine. And I fucking work there!!

[QUOTE=Quimby;180963]http://maritime-executive.com/article/spanish-authorities-arrest-fishing-crime-leader[/QUOTE]

If this is how Sea Shepherd does business, then I support these efforts. Their attempts at disabling legal operations are what disturbs me, and their attitude about that. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;181099]Their attempts at disabling legal operations are what disturbs me, and their attitude about that. . .[/QUOTE]

Not to mention almost everything Paul Watson does/says.