The latest "World's largest Container Ship"

At Christmas time the Scandinavians and us hosted a Christmas tree up the mast but on New Years Eve they stopped. With NUC lights displayed they partied hard judging by the VHF transmissions.

My last cook always put out the grub on holidays. No matter what the weather. He is now a valued and respected AB/Tankerman approaching retirement. He could also handle the boat if needed, Put him on the throttles many times. Never understood why he didn’t pursue it further, a damn good fellow to have aboard.

1 Like

Is this the same way that you stop the ship in the Suez and let it gently drift to shore?

Why don’t you just tell the whole story. Everybody was doing coke back then! I love the great sea stories the boomers tell about how they worked 18 hours every day and then drank 7 hours each night and went back to work!

1 Like

The people I knew weren’t doing coke but that doesn’t mean they sometimes didn’t burn that candle at both ends. That said I have been in situations that required being up 24 - 36 hours dealing with shitty situations. That’s called life and has nothing to do with being a “boomer”. If you are fortunate enough to never to be in such a situation count your blessings.

Fine, ‘uppers’.

Those folks didn’t last long in the world I lived in. Nor was it tolerated.

Maybe your situation is different.

1 Like

I made a joke and you respond with an insult? Fine.

Abuse of stimulants was common and well documented in the 70s and 80s maritime industry. If you’re claiming it wasn’t, you’re just a liar.

LSD was legal till it wasnt…

24000 containers x $20000 / container to ship = $480,000,000 for one ocean crossing . That paid for the ship in 1/2 a round trip and then some.

It’s a shame these companies are losing so much money. Oh yeah I forgot the return trip cash cow. They probably only make 300 mil on that one.

1 Like

I presume you meant that as a joke??
If not, you should do your homework before posting.

Capacity of the largest ULCV are 24000 TEUs and there are only a few of those yet.
“$20K/Container” is for 40 ft. units:

Return trip is mostly with “air as cargo” (empties) This is an EXPENS for the carrier, not an income:

What causes this problem with surplus in one port and shortage in another?
Not one single cause but that is also explained in the above article.

Sorry to bring in facts again. It is easier and SOOO much fun to blame it on the shipping lines. (They are mostly “foreign” after all)

1 Like

Last Saturday afternoon the EVER ACE arrived off Rotterdam Maasvlakte and was meet by the Boluda tugs VB CHEETAH, VB TIGER and MARS, RPA 16 and the Maassluis based museum tug ELBE:

Photo: Julia Hoffmann ©
Imgur
Photo: Peet de Rouw ©

Photo: Sandra Warren ©
A lot of “Shipspotters” were also at hand, ready to get that best photo of the event:

Photo : Arie Boer ©

Like these Ace photos::

Photo: Jan Simons ©
Photo: Frans de Lijster (c)
Evergreen Marine’s newest container ship, the EVER ACE, arrived at Rotterdam Maasvlakte becoming the largest boxship to dock in the port and by some measures also the largest containership in the world. The vessel, which is on its maiden voyage, is part of an expansion program that will significantly increase the Taiwanese carriers’ capacity. Ordered in 2019 and delivered on July 29 to Evergreen by Samsung Heavy Industries, the EVER ACE is reported with a total container capacity of 23,992 TEU, which would make it just slightly larger in capacity than HMM’s ultra-large containerships which are rated at 23,964 TEU. In April 2021, CMA CGM, however, claimed the world’s record for the largest actual load with 21,433 TEU aboard the CMA CGM JACQUES SAADE when it departed Singapore.

The new EVER ACE is 399.9 mtr in length with a beam of 61.53 mtr In dimensions, she is similar to the other 24,000 TEU ULCC vessels built recently. Samsung also reported that the vessel has a top speed of 22.6 knots and is designed to operate very efficiently with several new features including a flared bow design the vessel arrived in Rotterdam with an reported draft of 12 mtr

The Evergreen A class have a maximal theoretical capacity of around 23,992TEU 6 ships are being built by Samsung Heavy Industries in South Korea. Another 6 will be built by China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) at two shipyards in China:.

The new containership is the beginning of a new class of 12 ULCC ships on order for Evergreen, with a total of four expected to be delivered this year. Six are being built by Samsung with the others being built at Hudong Zhonghua and Jiangnan Shipbuilding in China. The six being built in China reportedly will have a slightly smaller capacity of 23,888 TEU. Evergreen added two of the orders this spring to the class and is rumored to be considered three additional vessels.

These vessels are part of the carrier’s growth plan that calls for the addition of 70 new vessels with a combined total capacity of 688,000 TEU. Alphaliner currently ranks Evergreen seventh largest with a total capacity of 1,385,477 TEU.

The new class of boxships are approximately 20 percent larger than Evergreen’s largest vessels, including the EVER GIVEN. The line noted during the delivery ceremony that the new vessels will be used to upgrade its operations on the European route which had previously been using 14,000 TEU vessels.

In the first half of the year, Evergreen took delivery on 14 new vessels adding 98,000 TEU in capacity and it is expected to take delivery on 19 more ships in the second half of 2021.
Further, the company is also reassigning vessels from other subsidiaries to Evergreen Line in order to meet current market demands. Benefitting from the strong market conditions, and just beginning to reflect the capacity growth, Evergreen reported that revenues doubled in the first half of the year to nearly $7 billion while profits topped $3.2 billion.

The EVER ACE was delivered to Evergreen on July 29 and departed the Qingdao Port at Shanghai loaded with 6,200 TEU as it began its maiden voyage. The new vessel was given a festive arrival on August 8 as she reached the port of Taipei. where Evergreen is headquartered. The vessel continued to Yantian, China before heading to Europe on its first voyage.

As seen from the VB CHEETAH:

Photo via Evergreen Shipping

Arriving at the terminal:

Photo: ECT
Source: Maasmond Newsclippings today.

1 Like

What a monster.

It’s the shoreside logistics that get me. Just moving all those boxes out of the port by other transportation systems. The USA has 10,000 ton trains but much of the weight is in the wagons. I don’t know how many TEU they carry.
12,000 trucks?

1 Like

Believe me Hogsnort,I get it. Son is presently doing his service in the Naval reserves in the weather center. Lieutenant blah blah blah is returning soon to a giant shitshow headache in his regular job regarding logistics in a major container port. Can only go as fast as the new cranes allow them. Do have a good railway system, but many other things stub their toes.

A friend asked a question that I was unable to answer (not an uncommon phenomenon) so I’ll ask it here:

What is rule of the thumb value for the percentage of empty space in containers? Clearly this varies by the route, e.g., the assumption that a containership outbound from China has relatively full containers and one outbound from Los Angeles mostly empty. Given that, what are the guessitmate numbers for the amount of air that is shipped around world on these ships?

Cheers,

Earl

From a lengthy article by Forbes Insight:

The empty space economy - EURACTIV.com

](https://www.euractiv.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/11/DSSmith_REPORT-FINAL-PRINT_EN_V03.pdf)

4 Likes

In the weeks we spent loading general cargo in Europe for New Zealand every square foot was utilised. Finally with locomotives on deck and No.4 hatch lid clear and the the hatch square filled with Mail we sailed. The return voyage the ship was full of frozen meat, cheese and in season apples.
Shipping air worked out cheaper because containers are stuffed and emptied by labourers not longshoremen, the ship’s crews are smaller and the turn round is quicker.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: ONE Reports $4 Billion Quarterly Profit and Expects $12 Billion For The Year