The Arrogance of Senator Corker

my friend Tony Munoz nails it square on the head yet again…I think I’ll start calling him “Tony the Tiger”

[B]The Arrogance of Senator Corker[/B]

By Tony Munoz 2015-04-29 14:28:09

Senator Bob Corker (R-TN), Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, presided over a hearing earlier this month on the subject of “American Food Aid: Why Reform Matters.” During the hearing he remarked that the U.S. Merchant Marine’s participation in USAID PL 480 was a “national disgrace” and a “total hoax.” He opined that he was very tired and hadn’t been able to sleep because the corporate welfare going to U.S. flag lines was causing thousands of people to starve and die around the world.

He also said that the cargo preference for food aid was impacting U.S. strategic interests in Syria and other regions in conflict and limiting the government’s ability to engage foreign governments. He went on to say the redistribution of food aid appropriations would save USAID $440 million in corporate welfare costs, which could feed up to 12 million more people. He concluded by saying that food aid reform would reduce farm income by a negligible 1.1% and agricultural exports by less than one percent.

The Manipulation of Information

That Senate hearing on April 15 was nothing more than a parade of reform proponent testimonies. The stacked deck included Dina Esposito, the USAID Director of the Office of Food for Peace, David Ray of CARE USA, a non-governmental organization, Dr. Vincent Smith of the Montana State University and Dr. Stephanie Mercier of the Farm Journal Foundation.

Esposito testified that 10 million Syrians have been displaced due to the country’s internal war and that four million are now refugees in neighboring Lebanon and Jordan. She said that debit cards given to the refugees not only provide them dignity but also create local jobs and stimulate local economies.

She stumbled through most of her statement and could hardly look at Corker during the Q&A session. Perhaps she had already read the October 2014 United Nations’ internal audit on the World Food Program’s Cash Voucher program. The report details the diversion of millions of dollars in food vouchers that were sold by Syrian refugees to middlemen in Lebanon and Jordan.

About $230 million of the $317 million given to Syrian refugees was in cash vouchers, and the agency did not have the systems in place to even identify recipients. Furthermore, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon acknowledged that nearly a million people in Syria were denied access to relief convoys because of the inefficiencies of regional charities and nongovernmental organizations.

Corker and Esposito also portrayed USAID’s 2010 Haitian earthquake relief effort as a complete success, saying millions of displaced people got aid immediately. Corker took the opportunity to characterize the U.S. Merchant Marine’s participation in the relief effort as a “hoax.” In fact, he used the word “hoax” numerous times during the hearings to characterize the participation of U.S. farmers and deepwater mariners in the PL 480 Food for Peace Program.

The HBO series “VICE” took a different view. Its episode on April 24 characterized the $10 billion in foreign relief for the Haitian earthquake as a dismal failure. Five years later, displaced Haitians in Port au Prince, which was the area hardest hit by the quake, are still living in the makeshift encampments built in the aftermath of the quake. Port au Prince itself remains a shambles of broken buildings, and thousands of flimsy structures made of USAID plastic and food bags still exist along the mountainsides around the capital city.

Meanwhile, USAID spent more than $230 million of aid funds to build an industrial park, community center and soccer field in the northern part of the country while starvation and a cholera outbreak plague Port au Prince.

And the Band Played On

Vincent Smith, the Montana State professor, testified that the domestic intercoastal “cargo preference” trade (Jones Act) would absorb the 450 deepwater mariners who would lose their jobs as a result of food aid reform. It is unfortunate that Smith knows nothing about the STCW credentials required by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) to sail ships in deepwater international trades.

If the U.S. military has another drawdown of any significance, the fact is there will not be enough licensed U.S. seamen to sail supply vessels, and foreign companies will have to move the cargoes for the military and that will be a national travesty.

During the Q&A with Corker, Smith dismissed the U.S. Merchant Marine as totally insignificant to national security, which allowed Corker to call it a total “hoax” of corporate greed again. Their exchange was the height of hypocrisy and misinformation.

The testimonies of David Ray of CARE USA and Stephanie Mercier of the Farm Journal Foundation continued to parrot the reform consensus for the Congressional Record and are not worth commenting on.

The Ignorance of Leaders

Since the Marshall Plan after WW II, which rebuilt Europe, the U.S. Merchant Marine along with American farmers has helped feed the world. In the 50 years of Food for Peace, the U.S. has transported more than 110 million metric tons of food aid around the world, nourishing billions of people. U.S. ships are essentially a moving conveyor belt of logistics delivering food to strategically located USAID warehouses and directly into areas of devastation, continuously.

While Corker used the hearing to call American farmers and the U.S. Merchant Marine a hoax of corporate greed, he should remember that companies like Boeing get 137 government subsidies and $13.2 billion each year. Alcoa gets $5.6 billion, Intel gets $3.5 billion, and General Motors gets $3.5 billion. Even Berkshire Hathaway, with $485 billion in assets, gets $1.1 billion in annual subsidies.

Corker should be advised that it was U.S. merchant marine patriots who fought the most powerful navy in the world on the high seas in 1776. They’ve been on the battlefields with the U.S. military ever since. During the Persian Gulf War, the U.S. Merchant Marine transported four times the supplies they did during the Normandy Invasion.

During the hearing, Corker made a sideshow of calling the U.S. Merchant Marine a hoax. Would he have the audacity to say the same thing about the U.S. Navy, Army, Coast Guard, Marines or Air Force? Yet he did it so casually about the Merchant Marine.

The U.S. Merchant Marine deserves more respect from the U.S. Congress, and it’s unbelievable that Corker is Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. This nation deserves better. – MarEx

FUCKING Republicans will DESTROY the US merchant marine if they get their way! Senators with names like McCain, Grassley and now Corker…will they never stop until they see the US flag removed from the seas of the world?

I will make sure not to donate to any PAC he gets a pay out from.

I had already pointed this out in the Lisa Murkowski thread.

Dig deeper and you’ll find that it’s a “charity” organization which is the prime mover. Namely, the UK based Oxfam.

“Hunger often reflects a lack of money, not a lack of food. People in crisis who cannot afford to buy enough food for themselves and their families,” said Gawain Kripke, policy director for Oxfam America. “Shipping food from the United States can be an important action, but often it’s the wrong thing to do: [B]it takes months to deliver[/B], it’s more expensive and can even be destructive to the livelihoods of local farmers.”

It’s not the US mariner’s fault that Africa or Syria is no where closer to USA. Bastards want US tax payer funded grains for free, but don’t want to pay the US tax paying sailor for it.

They’re a charity organization, depending on aid themselves, but yet have the money to lobby a senator. What’s pathetic, disgusting and I’m out of polite adjectives is that as an aid organization, they have no compunctions to ask for US tax payer funded aid from this country at the cost of the tax payer aka the US mariner.

Another link:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/jun/20/us-congress-bill-food-aid

I am no fan of Cargill, one of the major sellers of US grain to the food aid programme, but it was under the Obama administration that the requirement to ship on US flagged ships was cut to 50%. And now, it’s being sought to eliminate it completely.

I’ll also be honest why this gets my goat. I am SIU, sail deep sea and this affects my chances of getting a job on a deep sea US flagged bulk ship. And yet, I’ve to fund the shipment of that grain on a FoC ship for which I subsidized a corporate to grow it.

Go, fuck off, Corker and Oxfam.

So we get blamed for the cost of random shit, yet again, one minute it’s fuel, now it’s food aid by yet another scumbag empty suit occupant of a senatorial seat who should have been put on the unemployment line a long time ago. He should have been gone after term 1- except we have this nasty little habit here in the US of re-electing the same scumbags over and over again. This allows them to build up their impervious fiefdoms and successfully hold off all attacks while amassing wealth and assembling hordes of cronies. You think we’d learn, but we never do.

Whenever this comes up I find it interesting that no one seems to ask the question: Is food aid helping hungry people?

Seems fairly fundamental, right? Well, it turns out that quite often it is not helping (http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123758895999200083). As one might imagine, global development and relief policy is actually very complex, and it should not be surprising that it doesn’t necessarily align with the best interests of US mariners and farmers. What may have been a good idea 50 years ago isn’t necessarily a good idea today.

Going further, the USA is a country that has trade tariffs to protect it’s economy from being undercut on prices on various commodities. Then we go and take US food and flood the market in Africa (and various other places) with cheap or free food. What do you think that does to African farmers? It puts them out of business. And then guess what happens… there isn’t enough food to eat. So people are hungry. So they need aid, and so on…

Buying food from local farmers not only feeds people, but it would support the local agriculture economy and in turn make that country or area more self sustaining, and thus not need as much aid in the future. Wouldn’t that be great? It is also cheaper for the US taxpayer and that savings could be then spent on whatever the next political cause de jour is. Mar Ex’s article arguing that “Other people get more corporate welfare so we should too.” is ridiculous. Really?

If you just want jobs for mariners then Africa would be better off if you just paid those ships and mariners to sit around and not haul food over there. But I’m betting that isn’t going to fly.

Sorry to piss people off, just thought I’d toss in a viewpoint that doesn’t seem to be shared often. I do feel for the mariners that would lose their jobs, but again, is this a jobs program or an aid program. They’re not the same, so quit calling it that. If the concern is really for the longevity of the US merchant marine then lets talk about that. I’m all for protecting the US mariner, but the false pretense of Food for Peace really gets to me.

But yes, Senator Corker is a blowhard.

[QUOTE=mariner244;161177]Whenever this comes up I find it interesting that no one seems to ask the question: Is food aid helping hungry people?

Seems fairly fundamental, right? Well, it turns out that quite often it is not helping (http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123758895999200083). As one might imagine, global development and relief policy is actually very complex, and it should not be surprising that it doesn’t necessarily align with the best interests of US mariners and farmers. What may have been a good idea 50 years ago isn’t necessarily a good idea today.

Going further, the USA is a country that has trade tariffs to protect it’s economy from being undercut on prices on various commodities. Then we go and take US food and flood the market in Africa (and various other places) with cheap or free food. What do you think that does to African farmers? It puts them out of business. And then guess what happens… there isn’t enough food to eat. So people are hungry. So they need aid, and so on…

Buying food from local farmers not only feeds people, but it would support the local agriculture economy and in turn make that country or area more self sustaining, and thus not need as much aid in the future. Wouldn’t that be great? It is also cheaper for the US taxpayer and that savings could be then spent on whatever the next political cause de jour is. Mar Ex’s article arguing that “Other people get more corporate welfare so we should too.” is ridiculous. Really?

If you just want jobs for mariners then Africa would be better off if you just paid those ships and mariners to sit around and not haul food over there. But I’m betting that isn’t going to fly.

Sorry to piss people off, just thought I’d toss in a viewpoint that doesn’t seem to be shared often. I do feel for the mariners that would lose their jobs, but again, is this a jobs program or an aid program. They’re not the same, so quit calling it that. If the concern is really for the longevity of the US merchant marine then lets talk about that. I’m all for protecting the US mariner, but the false pretense of Food for Peace really gets to me.

But yes, Senator Corker is a blowhard.[/QUOTE]

No no, you have a valid point there. It’s been my belief for some time that much of the food aid is stolen or sold on the black market and may even fund warlord activity, not to mention undercut local farmers. I think the voucher program was intended to circumvent that but I hear the vouchers are being sold for cash. My beef is with Sen. Corker’s attitude toward us as an industry… here’s another useless body in the Senate who we need to keep an eye on since he clearly has a bullseye on us.

[QUOTE=lm1883;161185]Mariner244 is right on point. A great deal of the food aid isn’t distributed but SOLD at local market prices to the people by the recipient government.

The change in food aid policy reflects the changing race for influence in developing countries. African countries want investment (hard currency) and infrastructure so they can exploit natural resources (or inflate a Swiss bank account). Who wants corn soy meal from the U.S. when you can get a railway from China, complete with bridges and pay offs. The only thing the Chinese want is access to raw materials or transit routes. China could care less about internal politics and that is why they are quickly becoming a favorite of these new Client states.

Put yourself in the shoes of some African dictator. Would you rather have corn from someone that’s going to try to socially change your country or a boatload of cash from someone who couldn’t care less and wants to create industry?[/QUOTE]

I’d say that in many cases the food is sold at inflated prices, as is happening right now in Yemen and Syria.

[QUOTE=catherder;161178] My beef is with Sen. Corker’s attitude toward us as an industry… here’s another useless body in the Senate who we need to keep an eye on since he clearly has a bullseye on us.[/QUOTE]

YES! This is what we as American mariners must be concerned with here. A concerted effort on the part of more and more Republicans to besmirch the US Merchant Marine and to stick a long knife into it. Declaring our industry a hoax is tantamount to declaring us useless freeloaders all bent on getting ours from the government. It fails utterly to realize that we, the American mariner, is a critical part of our Nation’s defense and thus must be preserved against the forces of a global economy which has already damned near sounded our death knell. It is up to our leaders to realize that we deserve respect and not to be derided in such a manner as the likes of the McCains and Corkers now are so oft to do.

They are all useless. Republican and democrat.

The strange thing is is that my own congressman is trying hard to get offshore energy exploration off the coast. He has been to Fourchon he has talked with the port directors and industry leaders and is excited about what that type of business would do for his (my) district and the entire region. But omg, he is a evil evil republican! Gasp!!

Whats holding him up? The White House among other things…

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;161190]They are all useless. Republican and democrat.

The strange thing is is that my own congressman is trying hard to get offshore energy exploration off the coast. He has been to Fourchon he has talked with the port directors and industry leaders and is excited about what that type of business would do for his (my) district and the entire region. But omg, he is a evil evil republican! Gasp!!

Whats holding him up? The White House among other things…[/QUOTE]

Actually, you are mistaken about that. The White House released a proposal to begin offering leases in 2017.

The areas have to be surveyed first and that’s what a lot of environmental groups are opposed to because apparently some of the testing is destructive but you oil and gas guys will have to explain that to me.

I believe we have the same Congressman…he’s one of those assholes who’s been around too long in my opinion.

I would thank you for this statement but it appears the moderator has not given me this option at the moment. Many of my comments are not showing up in other threads either.