Ten thousand pound lost anchor retrieval methods at 600 ft

[QUOTE=Dougan;113664]I know you shrew. Western? Thanks for the opinions. The DP necessity suggestion is doubtful. Remember when somewhat precision jobs were done without whiz bang DP?[/QUOTE]

DP has done some remarkable things in this industry, but it sure has created a generation of Nintendo Captains that think its a necessity for everything marine.

I have thought about all this. Soft clay there and may be leading under. I have a few targets to attempt at and see. Even have sonar ability.

[QUOTE=anchorman;113672]DP has done some remarkable things in this industry, but it sure has created a generation of Nintendo Captains that think its a necessity for everything marine.[/QUOTE]

your taking a .02 to 1 target size to depth ratio here. Pretty much trying to find a pencil point spot on a page in the dark, but what do I know…I am just a whiz bang kid who only knows how to push buttons on a ship’s bridge

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Dougan;113673]I have thought about all this. Soft clay there and may be leading under. I have a few targets to attempt at and see. Even have sonar ability.[/QUOTE]

if that chain is leading under the anchor or is buried in a soft bottom, you’re not going to be able to grapple shit

[QUOTE=c.captain;113669]sure piece of cake with hundreds of feet of chain attached and all laid out nice and straight but not with only 25’ of chain…that’s the difference. 25’ is nothing and might even be under the anchor[/QUOTE]

You just have to hit and drag it, it will be laid out then - I would expect the hook to jump off a few times to get a clean bite. You will know if it’s that chain or not. Of course, you need to know where it is to begin with. Yes, small piece of chain is all you need. That’s about the same length where the swivels would fail on the old rig. From the bolster to the fairlead.

[QUOTE=anchorman;113676]You just have to hit and drag it, it will be laid out then - I would expect the hook to jump off a few times to get a clean bite. You will know if it’s that chain or not. Of course, you need to know where it is to begin with. Yes, small piece of chain is all you need. That’s about the same length where the swivels would fail on the old rig. From the bolster to the fairlead.[/QUOTE]

I’ve said my piece…if this anchor ends up recovered without ROV intervention then I will be very, very surprised

[QUOTE=Dougan;113673]I have thought about all this. Soft clay there and may be leading under. I have a few targets to attempt at and see. Even have sonar ability.[/QUOTE]

The oil companies would provide us with a magnetometer, never used sonar. Good luck.

GPS, ARPA, radar… it’s a long list.

You are getting all scientific remember this is like a league of their own “you throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball”

If you did grab it I’d be concerned about how to safely handle it not knowing how its hooked on, especially when you get to the surface and have to actually get it out of the water. Anchor handling boats have deck hardware to help make that less of an issue but on a regular tug (I’m assuming) it could be difficult to do.

Possible of course but I’d guess the chain is probably well settled in the mud making it way harder than if it was on a hard bottom.

Keep dragging. What the hell, it’s only fuel. Blind luck might be on your side!

[QUOTE=rshrew;113652]You don’t think you could run a grid line of courses and snag it?[/QUOTE]

That’s how I did it before the ROV became popular in the Gulf.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;114029]That’s how I did it before the ROV became popular in the Gulf.[/QUOTE]

but what are you gonna grab? there is only a very short piece of chain attached to the anchor and when you drag for one you drag for the chain. Even if you did manage to grab the anchor itself here isn’t even that much you can hold it with…the grapple will slip right off as you are lifting it to the surface.

It’s all about luck and a good fix on the anchor.

[QUOTE=c.captain;114030]when you drag for one you drag for the chain. [/QUOTE]

No. You drag to hit metal, that’s about it. Hitting the shank is where you would want to hit if you had a choice.

[QUOTE=anchorman;114221]No. You drag to hit metal, that’s about it. Hitting the shank is where you would want to hit if you had a choice.[/QUOTE]

and then what? the shank is straight so as you start to lift what does a grapple grab hold of as that 10000# is hauled up 600’? Besides the size of the shank on a 10k# anchor must be very sizable…who has a grapple that big and how do you maneuver it without even seeing the anchor on the bottom?

[QUOTE=c.captain;114222]and then what? the shank is straight so as you start to lift what does a grapple grab hold of as that 10000# is hauled up 600’? Besides the size of the shank on a 10k# anchor must be very sizable…who has a grapple that big and how do you maneuver it without even seeing the anchor on the bottom?[/QUOTE]

The grapple will not set on the shank, and the intention is not that at all. Start to lift? Do not get that too far ahead. If you manage to hit the shank you are golden. The anchor being the heavy side, the grapple will slide toward the chain, getting a bite in the best spot - the links right by the anchor. Once you recover, you will have good weight on both sides. Refer to my first post, 1.2 X WD. You do not recover an anchor unless you are set by it first. You have more spots to hit the anchor right than you do wrong. The hardest part is an accurate fix and putting metal on metal. That is why we always had a magnetometer.

[QUOTE=c.captain;114222]and then what? the shank is straight so as you start to lift what does a grapple grab hold of as that 10000# is hauled up 600’? Besides the size of the shank on a 10k# anchor must be very sizable…who has a grapple that big and how do you maneuver it without even seeing the anchor on the bottom?[/QUOTE]

Its 2 inch chain, I have 3 inch chain and it’s 4 tons per shot. This is 1/4 shot of 2 inch so its about a ton, that and a 5 ton anchor is 6 tons. The engineers would have a good idea what size round stock can be bent with 6 tons but I would guess a grapnel made from 3/8 in (?)round stock would lift 6 tons. (if that’s wrong an engineer would be delighted to point it out)

The operation has two parts, find and recover. I guessing the find part would be with some other equipment but recovery with grapnel hook

[QUOTE=c.captain;114222]who has a grapple that big [/QUOTE]

See the link I provided earlier in this thread. Some are rated for 3" Chain and up to 200 tons capacity.

[QUOTE=anchorman;114228]See the link I provided earlier in this thread. Some are rated for 3" Chain and up to 200 tons capacity.[/QUOTE]

Well as I’ve said before let’s see if we ever hear anything back but I don’t believe we will.

[QUOTE=c.captain;113674]your taking a .02 to 1 target size to depth ratio here. Pretty much trying to find a pencil point spot on a page in the dark, …

• Updated - - -

[/QUOTE]

Definitely want to hear the end of this story. Sometimes you actually find the needle in the haystack. Although this sounds like a pretty large haystack with a very small needle!