Summer Sea Term 2022 - Unlicensed positions / Regimental Officers

Looking for some background information on these positions. I have seen a couple of the academies advertise for these and was wondering what the jobs entail. I am a soon to be retired Navy officer - - I do have sea time but do not have any license.

Apply, they will hire anyone stupid enough to take the job.

You will basically work for the seatime and the chance to travel to some foreign ports, at least for some past cruises, nowadays they seem to stay local.

I am only familiar with the officer contracts. Let’s say the conract will pay $8000 for the summer. They will shake you down for mandatory health insurance for half of that.

As far as the actual job you will be doing one of two things A. standing watch on the bridge or engine room, supervising and teaching the cadet on watch. B. teaching a class in the classroom or other location hands on with a group of cadets. Both schedules are fairly easy. You will likely share a room with another officer. Since you are Navy, they are like staterooms. You take your meals in their version of the wardroom, but there is also a small dining area seperate from the cadets where you can get food, should you be pressed for time or on watch.

I have seen them hire for positions like purser, regimental clerk, stewards, deck technician/welder. In the past they used to hire able seamen. The actual regimental officer thing is usually taken by the shoreside regimental people, although I have seen them hire extra hands. In that job you wear a uniform and do a lot of hold inspections, and cadet evaluations.

1 Like

I’m going to say your numbers are a bit light on the salary.
I have first hand knowledge of someone working aboard in an unlicensed, purser type capacity and made a bit more than that with no requirement for health insurance. The licensed positions I believe go through MMP and they would be the ones requiring any health care contribution.
A good opportunity, only made better by personnel with experience who can add to the environment.

1 Like

I just reached out to a friend of mine that sailed for more than one sea term as a deck instructor. She grossed 15K for 60 days and probably netted 9k. She did not have to buy the health insurance because she already had qualifying insurance, she is a member of UUP.

She did tell me that different people get paid differently. For example MMP folks actually make less because they have to kick back to the union. She confirmed it’s an 8 hour day for most people on board. Apparently there are different ways to get on the ship. You can be hired as crew, school staff, or supernumerary. However if you have a license or other rating all of the sea time letters will look identical.

You do this for the experience and seatime, not for the money.

Anyone interested should apply at the school website.

On my particular sea term, way back when I was a cadet. I met some really experienced people and a lot of recent graduates with no experience. People that I was a cadet with a few months prior. I found that I learned the most from the people in the middle, meaning not green, but not washed up or blackballed yet.

1 Like

Thank you for all the great information. Money and insurance not a huge deal breaker/maker for me. I will have health insurance and am looking mostly to do something interesting and meaningful while I am relatively young and able. Another quick question, what do they wear for uniforms? Since I am not active duty navy what should I expect to need in the way of uniforms? Thanks again

If you are being hired as an unlicensed regimental officer, your job would pretty much be overseeing cadets, inspecting berthing areas, administrating the demerits and mast process. For uniform, you’d wear your navy uniform. Every regimental officer, who was prior service that I’ve seen wore their service uniform, most have been USN with a few USMC in the mix. It doesn’t pay well, but if you do it full time, it is a NYS job. Honestly though, unless you have much knowledge, experience, or interest in how commercial shipping works I wouldn’t recommend it. The best regimental officers I’ve known have commercial shipping experience in addition to their service. The few that are prior service and are not mariners or alumni of the school are often in their own world thinking the school has the same purpose as VMI, Citadel, or Norwich. It’s a merchant marine academy, not a military prep college, subtle difference but outsiders don’t often understand it.

5 Likes

I interviewed for a deck officer position for the 2016 sea term for Cal Maritime (iirc) and the pay was approximately $3,000 - $4,000 a month. It was effectively a volunteer position mostly filled by retirees and unemployed recent grads. I got a job offer for a real job at a shitty company and the guy at Cal told me to jump on it and not waste my time on the training ship with them (he knew I had a family and needed actual pay).

1 Like

If you’re MMP and on vacation and looking for something to keep you busy while your card ages it’s great. You take it on your night mate (PRO) card and it extends your health insurance a bit (three months vs. the usual six.)

No one does it for the money. If you did the full SST which amounted to 135ish days at the max pay (it increases each year to a max of around $300 per day) you take probably $11,000 max after taxes and union deductions.

However, if you have been working steadily and have 100k+ saved in the bank and are looking to screw around in Europe or some islands for a few months, who cares?

2 Likes

Due to the very high turnover in (CMA grad here) “Company Commandants,” you could be hired on exactly as LI_Domer described. No idea about pay. I felt sorry for the guys on my last training cruise because they wanted to cut people some slack, but cadets are such obnoxious bastards that they had no choice but to slam people with demerits. Show any weakness, and the cadets will pounce. They mostly seemed super bored and played video games, then would come out and yell at people to remove their covers in the mess.

1 Like

There are also some duties such as urinalysis, alcohol testing, and Covid testing, which would require you to get more up close and personal with the cadets.

I don’t fully remember fully but I would think that would have to assign watches or shifts to properly surveil the gangway for drunk cadets while in a port. There is probably a detail to chaperone cadets when they go on the school run tours.

If you do go on the training ship make sure you have a good plan on your cell, and bring plenty of movies to watch. On my experience, I found that entire season of shows like “The Sopranos” ate up the time well. If you dip, bring plenty of that, because you cannot buy that overseas except on a military base. Cadets would bring like two sleeves and say “that should be enough” and run out in the first three weeks.

I run into the same thing on my present tug. If you smoke, how hard is it to count up how many cigarettes you smoke in two weeks? Bring twice that many with you. Why should I have to get you to a dock so you can buy smokes during a hitch?

2 Likes

I hear they’re absolutely hurting for licensed officers in both departments now – with the offshore jobs boom at MMP (not sure if it is the same for MEBA and AMO and other offshore/inland employers as well) a lot of people bailed on them or found employment elsewhere.

Two 38 day cruises I believe. Lots of luck to them getting those billets filled.

1 Like