Subchapter M

The only good old tugs I’m aware of are Crowley’s Invaders, but I’m biased towards high horsepower.

15.705(d)

The Invaders are awesome boats. The previous class (cannot think of the name) are very good boats too —- DARING Class, built mid-60’s big single screw good seaboats 2200 to 2800 hp.

I don’t see a 15.750 either…

I look again when I get to a real computer. 46 CFR 15.705(d).

Your thinking of this?

“The Coast Guard interprets this, in conjunction with other provisions of the law, to permit masters or mates (pilots) serving as operators of towing vessels that are not subject to the provisions of the Officers’ Competency Certificates Convention, 1936 (see 46 U.S.C. 8304), to be divided into two watches regardless of the length of the voyage.”

So only towing vessels greater than 200 GRT, and only when outside the boundary line, ever need to run three watches. That’s complete bullshit…

1 Like

The Grace Moran was a great boat as far as single screws go. It has a 3,500 HP EMD and a ~13’ diameter propeller.

That looks like the right language. 46 CFR 15.705(d) is the USCG interpretation of the federal statute, 46 USC 8104(h)

Here’s the whole thing:

“(d) Subject to exceptions, 46 U.S.C. 8104(h) permits a master or mate (pilot) operating a towing vessel that is at least 8 meters (26 feet) in length measured from end to end over the deck (excluding sheer) to work not more than 12 hours in a consecutive 24-hour period except in an emergency. The Coast Guard interprets this, in conjunction with other provisions of the law, to permit masters or mates (pilots) serving as operators of towing vessels that are not subject to the provisions of the Officers’ Competency Certificates Convention, 1936 (see 46 U.S.C. 8304), to be divided into two watches regardless of the length of the voyage.”

I couldn’t agree more.

I recall the good old days when we had as many as 9 or 10 men on a boat that size. Now some of them are down to 4 men running to Hawaii.

It’s total bullshit. Congress and the USCG.

1 Like

I think the only place it should be allowed are on ship assist boats (maybe also other small tugs that never leave a small geographic area). All other vessels (tugs, OSVs, etc), if operating more than 12 hours a day, should be required to run three watches.

1 Like

Many ship assist boats are down to two men

For some slow operations that’s perfectly fine. For others, like one on the Delaware River, they are operating highly illegally.

1 Like

With all of this talk about Wheel House Manning, What do you think of requiring Two (2) Licensed Engineers onboard. In my career, I’ve seen way too many boats running the coast with a “Deckingeer” (a Deckhand that knows how to start and stop). To me it’s beyond stupid to be running around either pushing or towing an Oil Barge with no Licensed Chief Engineer.

There were many days back when I worked as the only Engineer that I would be up for well over 24 hours doing repairs followed by sailing and having to stand a watch. Until they finally get their heads out of their asses and come out with an honest manning scale these Tug Companies will continue manning at the lowest level that they can!

2 Likes

I would like to suggest at least 1 licensed Chief Engineer & one QMED/unlicensed assistant but I had a couple of unlicensed assistants who weren’t mechanically inclined enough to work at a Jiffy Lube. 2 licensed engineers would be better.

Those tugs have some brave or stupid skippers to put their lives & livelihoods on the line with those non-responsible skeleton crews that they set sail with?

I’d like to see a dedicated engineer that is a good mechanic who can fix things. A licensed is less important. However, what I expect to see coming is more licensed engineers who are not very good at fixing things. I also like to see deckhands with mechanical ability who can help the engineer when he needs it.

Of course on big tug with a huge oil barge, that requires more. Two licensed engineers who can fix things. That would not add one penny to the price of gas at the pump.

Brave or stupid? What choice do guys have! “Gee mister port captain, I won’t sail until you get me two licensed engineers, a third wheelman, and an extra deckhand”. Good luck paying your mortgage with pride alone.

The guys running up and down the Delaware way over rest hours with two people is one thing, but what do you want the rest of us to do?

1 Like

As I said, be brave, be stupid or go home.

Like I said, you can’t pay your mortgage on pride alone. Until congress and the USCG acts in the best interests of the mariner and not the ship owner, there will be boats with 4 or 5 man crews and one maybe engineer.