Starting the SIU Unlicensed Apprentice Program next month

Moving is a very difficult option for some of us. Piney Point gives us a foot in the door without needing us to really turn our lives upside down. I’m not exactly looking forward to the boot camp aspect and all the unpleasant things about it, but, in the big picture, its a small price to pay for a foot in the door and a job.

My hope was to get hired by MSC, but since I was turned down for one position and still awaiting an interview for the second after my application was forwarded, I have to say Piney Point is really starting to look like the better way to go.

GLMA Sailor this is good info. I didn’t know about the lakes. How do you actually go about applying to those companies. Also Tugted and Tugsailor thank you for the local info. I will look into these local companies. As far as Crowley I never find them hiring for any entry level personnel. I even have a friend that works for Crowley for several years and he is a DDE and he has been trying to talk to people at Crowley and at the union hall trying to get me an entry level position but no such luck after a few months of trying.

http://www.lcaships.com/careers/

Call the numbers and talk to the HR people. Get their email address and immediately email your resume and copies of documents, along with any applications or forms they want. Follow up with a phone call every week or so.

Andrie isn’t listed but you can google and find their site and HR info.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;144989]Moving is a very difficult option for some of us. Piney Point gives us a foot in the door without needing us to really turn our lives upside down. I’m not exactly looking forward to the boot camp aspect and all the unpleasant things about it, but, in the big picture, its a small price to pay for a foot in the door and a job.

My hope was to get hired by MSC, but since I was turned down for one position and still awaiting an interview for the second after my application was forwarded, I have to say Piney Point is really starting to look like the better way to go.[/QUOTE]

Who says you have to move? No matter where the job is, its just a few hours plane ride , usually about once a month. Lots of guys commute from Florida to work in NYC twice a month. There is a reason why Alaska Airlines has two flights a day from the PNW to Boston.

when is your report date? Mine is nov 3rd I am trying to find out if were in the same class

[QUOTE=trcb89;145072]when is your report date? Mine is nov 3rd I am trying to find out if were in the same class[/QUOTE]

October 6. We’re not in the same class. :wink:

Thank you very much GLMA Sailor

[QUOTE=tugsailor;145069]Who says you have to move? No matter where the job is, its just a few hours plane ride , usually about once a month. Lots of guys commute from Florida to work in NYC twice a month. There is a reason why Alaska Airlines has two flights a day from the PNW to Boston.[/QUOTE]

That’s right. For years, I sailed for a company whose US office was in Houston and I lived in Lake Charles, and then Ft. Lauderdale. Never made a difference. In fact, I made more crew changes at Port Everglades than most ports, although not more frequently once I lived there. I never even went by the office until I came ashore and I hadn’t worked there for 6 months.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;144880]My question was how is your hair maintained throughout the 12 weeks. Hair does grow back, unless they know of a way to prevent it from doing so.

Shoe shining material is not on the packing list. Do they provide such things there?[/QUOTE]

For the guys at Piney Point, you have the previous class that will cut your hair and boy ol boy, they will jack your head up

You can also try calling Capt. Kelly Sweeney. Headhunter. I don’t know if he works with entry-level though. Can’t hurt.

[QUOTE=catherder;148175]You can also try calling Capt. Kelly Sweeney. Headhunter. I don’t know if he works with entry-level though. Can’t hurt.[/QUOTE]

Capt Kelly tried to get me an entry level gig, back in the day, but that was when everything was super slow. It didn’t work out, but he was able to get me my first QMED job and I was more than satisfied with what he did for me. He’s a stand up guy and I’d use him again if I needed a job and wasn’t having luck on my own. He’s also great for temp work I’ve heard too.

[QUOTE=Kingrobby;148176]Capt Kelly tried to get me an entry level gig, back in the day, but that was when everything was super slow. It didn’t work out, but he was able to get me my first QMED job and I was more than satisfied with what he did for me. He’s a stand up guy and I’d use him again if I needed a job and wasn’t having luck on my own. He’s also great for temp work I’ve heard too.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he’s offered me a couple of relief jobs and the one I took was very nice. Good pay and nice trip plus unlimited time. I already work as a QMED but I wasn’t sure if he placed entry level, hence my comment. He’s very personable and returns calls.

That’s good news for these guys, they should absolutely give him a call.

http://www.maritimeheadhunters.com/

I am looking into starting the UA program offered by the SIU however on the website it says you need $1500 to start then says on a different page you need $3000. What would be a od amount to save up before I begin the process?

A post was split to a new topic: The blog Entirely Alive