Starpath CD-ROM

http://www.starpath.com/catalog/software/software_index.htm
Has anyone had any experience with this?? Being a hawspiper I am always looking to learn. I will be shipping out with MSC in a month and thought this would be a better option instead of bringing a crap load of books with me.

[quote=HawspiperJeff;28420]http://www.starpath.com/catalog/software/software_index.htm
Has anyone had any experience with this?? Being a hawspiper I am always looking to learn. I will be shipping out with MSC in a month and thought this would be a better option instead of bringing a crap load of books with me.[/quote]

I can’t say that I’ve had any experience with this, but I’m confused about your question. Are you looking to reduce the number of books you bring with you by obtaining electronic versions of the material or are you looking for a program of instruction?

If you are merely looking to reduce the number of books you need to carry then I would suggest you look at the NMC webiste and nga.mil website. Most of the material is available in electronic format for free from one of these two sites. I can be more specific and provide exact links if that is what you are looking for.

You wouldn’t happen to be shipping out on the USNS Dahl would you?

[quote=Cal;28432]I can’t say that I’ve had any experience with this, but I’m confused about your question. Are you looking to reduce the number of books you bring with you by obtaining electronic versions of the material or are you looking for a program of instruction?

If you are merely looking to reduce the number of books you need to carry then I would suggest you look at the NMC webiste and nga.mil website. Most of the material is available in electronic format for free from one of these two sites. I can be more specific and provide exact links if that is what you are looking for.

You wouldn’t happen to be shipping out on the USNS Dahl would you?[/quote]Don’t know going down to NEO end of March early April. I have a hand full of books but that $550 CD set will keep me busy for ever and all I would need to carry is 10 CD’s. So for anyone out there just asking if anyone has used them? I am going to buy them just asking if anyone has used them, and maybe a review on them

Jeff, I used this software and online support when I studied for my celestial endorsement. The course is generally not suited for the USCG exam, but I was able to ellicit the help I needed from the staff and David Burch himself when I came upon something that wasn’t in the course material. I found it helpful and inexpensive. If you couple this software with the M.E.T. booksyou’ll have everything you need for a self-study setup. Like I said, the software isn’t targeted at the USCG exam but the good folks at Starpath were very helpful. I took a leisurely 3 months of home study and practice to get ready for the exam. You can find HO 229 available for download online. In any case you will need the almanac and tables that the USCG has in the exam room, and make sure you’ve practiced the “sailings” before you step into the clutches of the examiner.
Even though there are resources for the pubs online, I’d recommend getting the hard copies of what you need, they are easier to use and don’t depend on an aircard or laptop for access.
You don’t really need one, but if you buy a sextant, get a decent one. If not, you’ll spend more time adjusting the damn thing than taking sights.
Since you’re going to sea, online access will be problematic. I had a good experience with Starpath, but without internet access for the help forums and guidance, it might not be the course of choice.

I have been using the Davis MK25 for several years. Lightweight, easy to travel with, and only costs about $200. Adjustments are simple and I spend minimal time on them. My sights are consistently within 2nm of my GPS position (good enough for gov’t work!).

Hi,
If you’re looking for celestial software, you could also look at WinAstro (www.winastro.com)
Tim

Not looking for celest just looking to learn while I have time to burn, and make my testing down the road easier