Shoreside jobs for Deckies

Interesting Ive heard of some of those but not others. Is a DP supervisor essentially a DPO who works onshore? I also have a degree in finance so I may look more into the assurance and director roles of those are a possibility.

Thanks but I’m working in the Gulf on a drill ship and loving it, just trying to get an idea of my what future may look like if I ever decide to give it up. If I ever have kids I just can’t see myself missing half their life

Do you have any idea what they’re salary range is like?

I actually went to college for business originally but got out in 2013 and jobs were bad, first job was life insurance sales at 100% commission (I made 0 sales) lol the next one I had paid $15/hr as an estimator at an aerospace plating company. After my one year review came up I was told how well I was doing and given a .25 cent raise!

Felt like I made a terrible choice with my decision on my major, I wasn’t passionate about it at all I had just heard my whole life major in business and youll get a good paying job. Tried applying to other jobs but usually struggled through the interview process, Ive never been good at faking enthusiasm about a company or service when in reality I just want to know when and how much I’ll be getting paid.

Then someone close to me was attending an academy and told me to check it out. And damn I wish I had done that when I was actually in high school. I’ve always been fascinated by the sea and boats in general due to my grandfather’s old race boats and mechanic shop. Had my parents not moved me all the way up north at an early age I can’t even imagine the amount of knowledge he could have passed on to me , oh well.

Think I went a little odd topic from your comment but I am somehow hoping to find a way to utilize my passion for the shipping industry with the knowledge and understanding I have of finance and businesss.

Well, there is also ship brokering (a subject I have little knowledge about, outside of reading Matthew McCleery novels). As far as surveying, if you are deck, then any independent cargo/marine survey company can tell you. Check out SAMS (https://www.marinesurvey.org/) or NAMS (https://www.namsglobal.org/). When I came ashore (and an engineer), I worked as a Class surveyor for 10 years.

1 Like

Damage Control Officer (Damage Control Officers (DCOs) conduct training based upon MSC and USCG training requirements, ship drills, ship inspections)

Announcement opens from 04/18/2022 to 09/30/2022.

In the car this morning will give you couple things to think about later today

Bill