Rule 9 and Narrow Channels and Fairways

Ok… trying to reign this thread back on topic, no one (JDC included) has helped to answer my question about how many lists of narrow channels the CG maintains. I provided a link to Sector San Francisco’s. If you know of others, please provide a link. I spent some time this morning and came up empty.

It is interesting that COTPs might make a list. But this does absolutely no good if the list is too hard to find.

https://www.foia.gov/how-to.html

1 Like

72 Colregs (unless there has been another update, I’ve been away for a while)) described a vessel underway, under power quite clearly. On topic , narrow channels and draft restricted vessels do not appreciate being compromised by shallow draft vessels that have a better avenue than they do to avoid collision. Common sense rules over less than common sense. Those would be the cases JDC would have liked to defend. I am on topic with this one my friend. A simple rule to follow. Perhaps you have the feeling USCG maintains all the narrow channels, they put together the rules for navigating them. It is up to the mariners on whatever craft they operate to abide by them. Make a much safer place to operate if they did.

1 Like

SeaEagle,

Bear with me, brother. Up until yesterday, I was quite convinced no such lists of narrow channels existed. Now I found out I was mistaken, and they do. I think I’m quite reasonable in asking that I be able to see what is out there. Do you feel otherwise?

Not unreasonable to ask, I get that. Don’t have a problem with you DC I have an opinion that the rules are quite clearly explained. I am a patient man. But not with clowns off of Annapolis or anyone that impeded my travel when they had much more room than i did. Sure you have been there, as most of the mariners on this site. No matter what port they transit.

1 Like

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/799/TSAC%20Task%2013-05%20Final%20Report_Narrow%20Channels.pdf

Recommendations for Communicating the Designation of a Narrow Channel

1. The working group believed that the navigational chart was clearly one good place to indicate the Coast Guard’s designation of a channel as narrow by an established Regulated Navigation Area (RNA). For example: NOAA Chart 18773 SAN DIEGO BAY has a Note B stating that the main channels are designated narrow channels. (See attached). Of course, RNAs are also found in the appropriate Coast Pilot and in 33 C.F.R. Part 165. Notices of Safety Zones that are promulgated to declare a waterway as a narrow channel are best disseminated by Broadcast and Local Notices to Mariners and other means if they are of short duration. Long-standing Safety Zones should be treated the same as an RNA and published accordingly. In summary, the best method, assuming that there are designations of a narrow channel for a particular area, is to print the note right on the chart. The other methods should not be discounted or discarded, however, as they are an important source of official information

Note_B

Simple for most people, some… not so much. This post is wearing me out. Please close it.

1 Like

Interesting reply in a “professional Mariner” forum… but kinda supports my other posts regarding certain commercial vessel operators getting on their high horses about “ignorant yachters” …

Why are yachties so sensitive? I’m not only a professional mariner, but I’m also a part time internet troll.

I can’t speak for “yachties”… but I do question your claim of being a “Professional” Mariner. I am sure you make a pay check driving a boat for someone.

1 Like

What’s the matter? Is it the lack of mutts or toast that bothers you? I guess you haven’t had your first chuckle today, either.

Another sea story from SF Bay. Different war ship, USS LAWS, a Fletcher class DD, and yes another dependence cruise. This time in the middle of the bay on a weekend. One could probably use the sailboats as stepping stones from SF to Sausalito.

Anyhow, I’ve a vague memory of the conning officer calling Main Control to make black smoke. Can’t do it now with air pollution regs, but the two uptakes spitting out thick black smoke created the impression that we were making high-speed. The ship rang up medium speed, 12-15 knots, and the sail boats parted like the Red Sea.

Years later, I’m on USS Kilauea [1975] pulling into SF Bay. Same problem with sail boats. The captain slowed down to steerage way as he pondered his action. I related the dependents cruise story and Kilauea did the same thing - make black smoke and make speed. Parting of the Red Sea 2.0!!

Too bad California Air Resources Board won’t let you do that now.

That’s all I remember.

1 Like

LMAO, Seasmaster. that was chuckleworthy.

Beat that dead horse Quimby.

1 Like

For many regattas on the SF City Front the organizing club uses AIS and contact w/ VTS to deploy “shepherd” RIBs that can direct racers to change course and remain clear of shipping traffic. Failure to follow directions results in a DNE - Disqualification Not Excludable, which is usually the end of the regatta for that boat and if the ship’s pilot files with the CG can lead to major fines and being declared PNG. This is a major effort and expense on the part of the clubs.

The SF ferries and their captains are indeed patient, helpful, and usually great to work with. The fisherman less so but usually not too bad. The general boating public can be clueless but there are rarely few nitwits out once the afternoon breeze pipes up.

I have a regular run from Carteret to New Haven. The Long Island Sound yachties can be insufferable during the summer season.

I did learn from a racer that if you give a boat 5 they are automatically disqualified from the race.

Most racers will stay out of your way but certain other folks cant spend the $15 on Amazon for a rules book and seem to want to test my stopping ability.

2 Likes

I was an exempt master outbound from Auckland. The America’s cup was on and once out of the sea buoy commercial shipping had a reserved shipping channel clear of the race area. The race was canceled due to lack of wind and suddenly between 3 to 4000 pleasure craft departed the race area and met me coming out still in the harbour channel. I took the necessary action: closed the eyes to mere slits, hand hovering over the whistle, and clenched.
The water was churned like a washing machine.

I always grill my wafi mates on the cases where sail gives way to power, they never know the answers.

He wasn’t.

No one ever said it wasn’t, but despite being under power it’s still a sailboat.