Rolled charts memory

Not the most important question here but figured this just might be the right group of fellows to ask…how in the hell does a guy get new paper charts to lie flat? And maybe cancel out thier “memory”… Yea I know dumb question, but man they piss me off…haha. There has got to be a better way, maybe an old trick, or some ancient secret eh? I try books, I try rolling backwards, I try hanging, paperclip, on and on…

If you work in the oilfield you can just put them under a piece of plexiglass.

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;169469]If you work in the oilfield you can just put them under a piece of plexiglass.[/QUOTE]

a OSV’s entire chart portfolio consists of NOS1115a, 1116a and 1117a and all are corrected with a crayon!

Yes, rolling backwards seems to be the best method…but not by much. Boy you should see the cluster#*/k when a chart is needed…and try and put another in the proper order. 17 new charts of different sizes and they they have truly tested my patience! I swear they are alive and will not die and lie flat!!!

[QUOTE=swampy;169481]Yes, rolling backwards seems to be the best method…but not by much. Boy you should see the cluster#*/k when a chart is needed…and try and put another in the proper order. 17 new charts of different sizes and they they have truly tested my patience! I swear they are alive and will not die and lie flat!!![/QUOTE]

When we get charts we put them flat on the chart table with pubs holding them down for a day or two. But are you folding your charts?

Our chart drawers are large enough to hold a chart without folding but all are charts are folded once so each draw has two stacks of charts.

Some get folded but most do not. Only a few dont fit the cabinet. They can be pressed for weeks with books and manuals and still will not lie flat when in use. These new charts are also printed very heavy paper…

No problem pressing them down with weight for a bit. Usually I kind of fold them over the edge of the table “bending” them for a bit too. This is with new print on demand charts.

[QUOTE=c.captain;169476]a OSV’s entire chart portfolio consists of NOS1115a, 1116a and 1117a and all are corrected with a crayon![/QUOTE]

Wrong Scooter, we are professionals.:cool:

HO229 volumes were always my preferred weights after a backwards roll.

Besides, it’s a grease pencil not a crayon. :wink:

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;169490]we are professionals.[/QUOTE]

OF COURSE YOU ARE! I beg you pardon. How could I have made such a hideous gaff?

Every GoM mariner is highly educated and literate. They are scholars of theory as well as masters of practice of the nautical and marine engineering sciences. The epitome of enlightened logical thinkers par excellance. Simply the very best bar none.

3 charts? In the Northeast I correct about 110 give or take…

[QUOTE=TugNtow;169500]3 charts?[/QUOTE]

ok, four charts…you gotta have NOS11346 for Fourchon and Belle Pass but no one ever uses it

I don’t use charts Scooter, it’s all in my head.

[QUOTE=c.captain;169499]OF COURSE YOU ARE! I beg you pardon. How could I have made such a hideous gaff?

Every GoM mariner is highly educated and literate. They are scholars of theory as well as masters of practice of the nautical and marine engineering sciences. The epitome of enlightened logical thinkers par excellance. Simply the very best bar none.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that kind compliment C Capt.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;169506]I don’t use charts Scooter, it’s all in my head.[/QUOTE]

of course you don’t! that is the GoM way to steer from rig to rig! you must be one of those tearsheet GoM masters who’s license is printed on a sheet of Charmin, but just be sure you don’t leave your ticket stuck to your ass…

[QUOTE=AB Murph;169534]Thank you for that kind compliment C Capt.[/QUOTE]

yes, all my enmity towards the GoM mariners is really how envious I am of their abilities and knowledge…if you can’t be one of em, use all your powers to tear them down!

The first step is admitting you have a problem, you must feel so much better unburdening yourself.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;169542]The first step is admitting you have a problem, you must feel so much better unburdening yourself.[/QUOTE]

I believe I am going to go “unburden myself” now and wipe afterwards with a facsimile of AHTS Master’s license…

ha ha ha “tear sheet” has never made more sense

[QUOTE=z-drive;169569]ha ha ha “tear sheet” has never made more sense[/QUOTE]

come on there boy…you’re 12hours late achangin your avatar! Having trouble keepin up?