Retiring a Cruise Ship for Retirees

I wasn’t thinking of in the vessel aspects more the course approval aspect. I know the schools submit their curriculum to be approved I assumed they also submitted to a site visit before they got USCG approval. I even assumed they would be subject to further audit to make sure they are delivering what they said they would. But that might just be me being naive about the whole thing. Or are you not going after the US credentialed mariner?

I have been looking for a suitable picture of the traing barge at Loyang, but not found one yet. (reverting, if lucky)
I did find a video of the MSTS Falck barge at Pasir Gudang in Johor, just across from Singapore:

I have attended this one twice, but found that their curriculum was a replica of the one at Montrose.
IOW; all about North Sea rules, Hypothermia etc. and nothing about what is more of a problem in tropical water; dehydration, heat stroke, sharks etc. (Hell, even crocodiles in some cases)

Tugsailor:
You are obviously aiming for the lowest possible standard, which may be appropriate to compete on equal terms with US based training facilities.

At least you’ll have the advantage of better extra curricular possibilities in Thailand. Are you planning to locate your barge in Pattaya, or Patong Beach maybe?

We have one that needs attention much closer to home.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/parks/battleship-texas-dry-berth-project .

From what I understand they opened a project to dry berth it but ran out of money.

Well, I don’t know if a battle ship would suite as a training facility in Thailand.
May be a bit over budget for Tugsailor’s business plan.

There is a tropical depression that is probably going to develop into a cyclone by Fiji right now. Count me out.
There have been many instances of retirees living on cruise ships,mostly women.
One on the QE II was the widow of a a New York Don and found it cheaper to live onboard rather than pay for security ashore. Another German woman was on a special arrangement with a cruise line cruising in the Mediterranean was paying about the same as a nursing home.

It is good to share your opinions, however concise they may be. But to expand on your comment may I ask, when you are over 50 and wondering how and where to spend your last 30 years, what will your ideas be?

Living on board is not a new idea and I agree not a good idea when there is a cyclone in the area. Currently there are three cyclones, remnant hurricanes, torrential rain storms, heavy snow falls, droughts, flu epidemics, wars, starvation, rising sea levels, climate change road rage, violence and anger.
Seems like drinking a coffee on a luxury cruise ship, in sheltered, calm water, behind a pristine coral reef, while a howling gale vents its anger on the sturdy steel walls and picture windows outside is a perfect place to be.

Not quite the vessel I was looking for, Cruise ships have a potential life of around 90 years after which repairs and maintenance become uneconomic, the M/S Kong Olavs looks like its time has come and is ready for recycling.

Yes I think that is an issue, 300 tonnes of liquid waste per day for the next 50 years. I asked that question in a meeting with the Government planners and their comment was, "No worse than the hundred hotels already discharging into the “pristine Fijian waters.”

However, if the onboard treatment plant is operating efficiently and the tidal flow sufficient, then the ship should be less polluting than a few of the hotels I have seen. Also given the close proximity to shore toxic was will be disposed of in the land fill.

Some searching questions, thank you. Let me try to answer them.
“If your ROI is 30%, how come nobody else has done it yet” They have! But who would declare a 30% profit?
“You can build and sell a land resort in stages,” About 2 years to build 200 rooms for $100m, As against a 15 year old 700 cabin ship, delivered to site in 1 month for $50m and ready to operate within 2 weeks.
“Massively more expensive and difficult to maintain and run than a land building” When anchored and connected to shore services costs work out about the same.
“Expensive to import the stuff you need into Fiji.” Fiji grows quality food, produces hydro electricity and imports from China just like the rest of the world.
Cruise ships don’t pay tax. Death and taxes are inevitable even with Government help.
" A Ships cabin is one thing for 1-2 weeks. Quite different for the rest of your life." This I agree with cabin fever is a danger, but it is only 50 metres from shore with a mountain range and walking tracks 2 miles away or surfing, diving and swimming, shopping, theaters and sports down the corridor. I have identified 150 activities available and a whole community just on the other side of the cabin door. And if that is all too much, the airport is 50 miles away. It is not a prison cell.

“Fiji is far too remote for the American market.” Yes Fiji is remote from everywhere, that is part of its charm, the tourist market is 70% Australian and NZ, with the USA making up only 10%. I imaging the over 50’s population will have about the same proportions.
"Another thing that might work would be a dental care, cosmetic surgery, recovery resort type of concept."
I agree, all are marketable, I am not sure whether the idea will need a US based medical group however, Fiji, AU, NZ, UK and Canada all have good medical groups, insurances and free health care facilities.

1 Like

I won’t be spending them on a cruise ship that’s been found by actual maritime operators to have reached the end of its useful life, anchored in an area that has typhoons, run by someone who knows more about dollar signs than ships.

2 Likes

Maybe a shorebased Cruise ship, like this one in Shekou, China?:

No need to worry about Cyclones, or to hire expensive Mariners.

1 Like

two extra words I can add…“Legionnaire’s Disease

so to mr. Davescott…you can now please go back to where ever you came from…

I am seeking feedback from an informed group on the merits of providing high quality accommodation with high end medical care at low lost by using a Cruise ship.

and you are getting that feedback only it is not the feedback you seek so you are now getting frustrated…

I suggest you simply quit before you get even deeper into this pit you have created for yourself

Replies have been interesting, not frustrating, such as the valid point
about Legionella. Although that pathogen is not limited to retired Cruise
ships but available from any badly maintained air conditioning unit in the
world. I fail to understand your comments about digging a pit, the deep
water berth is already available, I am looking for viable options to fill
it.

What happens when a typhoon breaks her moorings and drives her from the deep water berth onto that “pristine” reef? Will everyone still be enjoying the weather inside their rooms?

Severe Tropical Cyclone Winston was the most intense tropical cyclone in the Southern Hemisphere on record, as well as the strongest to make landfall in the Southern Hemisphere. Winds exceeded 190 mph. Some 40,000 homes were lost, almost every school lost roofing 350,000 people affected with damage from Winston amounting to US$1.4 billion. That would be a concern to anyone so how would the Captain deal with what would have been a real situation

There was 2-3 day warnings so the Captain would have 3 choices, pull out from the shelter and run to deep water, rely on the mooring ropes and stay put or abandon ship and risk the land based shelters. In hind site going ashore, where most of the hotels sustained damage, would have had risks. Running out to sea would have been just as risky as waves were reaching 15 metres, if the ship lost power there was no chance of being towed back to shelter and apart from severe discomfort there would be a real risk of capsize.

Again in hindsight the storm surge was 3 metres and waves breaking beyond the reef into the anchorage area only 2 metres both well within the capacity of Cruise liners, so it would all be down to the moorings. My guess of the safest choice would be to stay put, turn into the wind, double up the mooring ropes, keep the main engines ticking over and reply on the calculations for the loading on the mooring buoys and the general seaworthiness of most modern vessels.

You’ve got it all figured out

4 Likes