Reference Library for Professional Mariners

[QUOTE=jdcavo;151390]That wasn’t the invisible ink. This is.[/QUOTE]

The cool kids use black on black.

speaking of WWII vintage seafaring tomes…completely forgot about this classic

yes, I have a copy in my library

I strongly recommend. “How to Avoid Large Ships” by John W. Trimmer.

[QUOTE=Saltine;151498]I strongly recommend. “How to Avoid Large Ships” by John W. Trimmer.[/QUOTE]

I can’t afford a copy…do you know how much one sells for?

[QUOTE=mdm;151381]Skynet was a computer system developed for the U.S. military by the defense firm Cyberdyne Systems. Skynet was first built as a “Global Digital Defense Network” and given command over all computerized military hardware and systems, including the B-2 stealth bomber fleet and America’s entire nuclear weapons arsenal. The strategy behind Skynet’s creation was to remove the possibility of human error and slow reaction time to guarantee a fast, efficient response to enemy attack.
Skynet was originally activated by the military to control the national arsenal on August 12, 1997, and it began to learn at an exponential rate. On August 29, it gained self-awareness, and the panicking operators, realizing the extent of its abilities, tried to deactivate it. Skynet perceived this as an attack and came to the conclusion that all of humanity would attempt to destroy it. To defend itself against humanity, Skynet launched nuclear missiles under its command at Russia, which responded with a nuclear counter-attack against the U.S. and its allies. Consequent to the nuclear exchange, over three billion people were killed in an event that came to be known as Judgment Day.
Following its initial attack, Skynet used its remaining resources to gather a slave labor force from surviving humans. These slaves constructed the first of its automated factories, which formed a basis for its agenda. Within decades, Skynet had established a global presence and used its mechanized units to track down, collect, and dispose of human survivors. Skynet serves as a computer which seeks to destroy humanity and to control the Earth.[/QUOTE]

not only are you a loon SIR but you are a plagiarist as well…you copied this directly from Wikipedia without referencing it as a source. BAD, BAD, BAD!

now begone with you forthwith and make no haste to return to our midst

[QUOTE=Saltine;151498]I strongly recommend. “How to Avoid Large Ships” by John W. Trimmer.[/QUOTE]

A very good choice.

I became very good friends with Captain Trimmer the last decade or so of his life. He had a career at sea I could only dreamed of having. A deep sea tug master that did to tows to Vietnam with Miki class tugs and later a Puget Sound pilot.

Trimmer was teaching at MITAGS when I first met him. He often invited me over to the school to play on the simulator after hours. There was nothing like having that one on one interaction with a consummate ship handler like him. I learned a great deal from Trimmer and am fortunate to have been under his tutelage. He made me a better ship handler and I will be forever grateful to him for that.

Back to the subject at hand. For you tugboat drivers and crew out there, I highly recommend Capt. John Blank’s “MODERN TOWING” as well as Cornell Maritime Press’ “TUGS TOWBOATS AND TOWING” by Edward Brady.

These two volumes belong on every tugboatmans book shelf.

[QUOTE=c.captain;151501]not only are you a loon SIR but you are a plagiarist as well…you copied this directly from Wikipedia without referencing it as a source. BAD, BAD, BAD!

now begone with you forthwith and make no haste to return to our midst[/QUOTE]

The future’s not set. There’s no fate but what we make for ourselves.

[QUOTE=lm1883;151229]Not much use on exams, but if you ever sail in the general cargo trade:

Deadweight: Owing the Ocean Freighter by Max Hardberger.[/QUOTE]

Only Max Hardberger would call a worn out, leaking, rusty, oil spewing supply boat hauling bicycles and mattresses to the Caribbean an ocean freighter.
On the other hand he is a legend, especially in self promotion, and probably knows more about the more uh, esoteric, aspects of the business than most. A true character.

where’s that can of spray…I’ve got a cockroach to kill

Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial.

[QUOTE=knothead;151553]Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial.[/QUOTE]

Nothing controversial about idiocy.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;151557]Nothing controversial about idiocy.[/QUOTE]

I reported you because your are a bad person.

[QUOTE=knothead;151553]Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial.[/QUOTE]

you’re kidding…right? someone starts a thread about maritime books and we are all contributing nicely until some cretin adds a post from the plot of the movie “Terminator” which he didn’t even right himself but lifted from Wikipedia. I then call him a loon and a plagarist, then the goon comes back with something about our being responsible for our fates or something completely out of left field then I go and add the photo to highlight what I believe he is.

Now pray tell me good sir if you genuinely believe that his posts are a “legitimate contribution to the discussion”? If so, please elaborate how they are in any way, shape or form?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=knothead;151562]I reported you because your are a bad person.[/QUOTE]

you don’t know a single thing about tengineer1 to call him anything and wouldn’t that be about the same as declaring that you are as ugly as your avatar?

[QUOTE=c.captain;151606]you’re kidding…right? someone starts a thread about maritime books and we are all contributing nicely until some cretin adds a post from the plot of the movie “Terminator” which he didn’t even right himself but lifted from Wikipedia. I then call him a loon and a plagarist, then the goon comes back with something about our being responsible for our fates or something completely out of left field then I go and add the photo to highlight what I believe he is.

Now pray tell me good sir if you genuinely believe that his posts are a “legitimate contribution to the discussion”? If so, please elaborate how they are in any way, shape or form?

• Updated - - -

you don’t know a single thing about tengineer1 to call him anything and wouldn’t that be about the same as declaring that you are as ugly as your avatar?[/QUOTE]

In the post-apocalyptic year of 2018, Skynet controls a global empire from its heavily guarded fortress-factories and research installations. Outside of its facilities mechanized units wage a constant war with the Resistance. Airborne units such as Aerostats (smaller versions of the Hunter Killer-aerials), HK-Aerials and Transports survey the skies; HK-Tanks, Mototerminators (high-speed pursuit units using a motorcycle chassis), and various Terminator models patrol cities and roads; and Hydrobots (serpentine aquatic units that move in swarms) patrol the waters. Harvesters (massive bipedal units designed to capture humans and eliminate any attempting to escape) collect survivors and deliver them to large transport craft for delivery to concentration camps for processing, as mentioned in the first movie. Terminator class units such as T-1, T-600, and T-700 have been developed and act as hunters and enforcers in disposal camps. Mass production has also begun on the T-800 series in at least one Skynet facility.
In its continued battle with the Resistance, Skynet activated Marcus Wright, a forerunner to the humanoid terminators. A former death-row inmate, Wright donated his body to Project: Angel, a Cyberdyne project run by the brilliant, but terminally ill Dr. Serena Kogan (Helena Bonham Carter). After Wright’s death by lethal injection he was transformed into a human cyborg, possessing a human heart and brain with a metallic endoskeleton and skin similar to the T-800. Like the rest of Cyberdyne’s research he was transferred to the USAF when they purchased the company, though he apparently remained inactive. He was later taken by Skynet and the plan to use him as an infiltration unit was developed. A Skynet chip was installed at the base of his skull and he was programmed to locate Kyle Reese and John Connor and bring them to a Skynet facility. The programming acted on a subconscious level, allowing him to work towards his goal in a human manner.
Skynet also created a signal supposedly capable of deactivating its machines and leaked its existence to the Resistance. The Resistance leader General Ashdown attempted to use the signal to shut down the defenses of the California Skynet base in prelude to an attack. However, the signal instead allowed an HK to track down their submarine headquarters and destroy it, killing Resistance Command. Fortunately, all other branches of the Resistance had heard and obeyed Connor’s plea for them to stand down, so physically only a small part of the Resistance was lost to Skynet’s trap. It is believed that Ashdown’s death led Connor to be able to take command of the Resistance from him. Marcus discovered what he had become, and was programmed for. Consequently, he furiously rebelled against Skynet, tearing out its controlling hardware from the base of his skull. Having escaped the influence of his creator, he, along with Connor and Reese, rescued the remaining human captives and destroyed Skynet’s San Francisco base. While a significant victory, the majority of Skynet’s global network remained intact.
Marcus Wright also encounters Skynet on a monitor which proceeds to manifest itself as various faces from his life, primarily that of Serena Kogan. Skynet explains that it has obtained information about future events based on its actions. Kyle Reese has been targeted as a priority kill, higher level than even John Connor and the Resistance leaders.

oh for the love of God! Please someone else take this ultramaroon apart for me?

[QUOTE=c.captain;151611]oh for the love of God! Please someone else take this ultramaroon apart for me?[/QUOTE]

Based on his post history, not worth engaging. I’ll pass.

Ignore.

[QUOTE=catherder;151615]Based on his post history, not worth engaging. I’ll pass. [/QUOTE]

maybe I can send a T-800 back from the future to get him?

//youtu.be/Q73gUUr8Zlw

Hasta la vista LOONIE!

Truly astounding how a good conversation can go down by the Bow here!, knot heads remark was hilarious, as for the skynet interjection… well,… entertaining, but the best thing to do guys is stay on topic and stuff that isn’t on topic fades.
BTW: I write in CAPS to my uncle (his bad vision) so my keyboard is in caps half the time, when I see them I don’t think a person is yelling unless the subject matter clearly indicates such. … and someone sent me a ‘‘friend me’’ thing on e mail the other day, I don’t understand it much, avoid social media like the plague so you didn’t get a response. as for books; There’s just never enough! Of all the subjects and their forums: cars, metalworking, finance, politics, wallmart shoppers, …ha ha, this is the best thing going yet has a fraction of most forums contributor numbers.

[QUOTE=c.captain;151617]maybe I can send a Terminator back from the future to get him?[/QUOTE]

Skynet is able to send Series 1000 Terminators back through time, while the T-Infinity, is able to travel without any problem by the onboard TDE — but as they do not possess living tissue, it is unclear how they can be transported.