I’m non-union, but I don’t believe there’s any benefit. Actually I’m not sure you could even join without having a license and all that goes along with it.
Some union companies will hire from the outside, but once they hire you you have to join the union in order to ship out.
You can join MM&P as an associate member but I mean you get the license in a month so i wouldn’t say it’s worth it at this point. Join both, see which one gets you a job first and go with that one. Just don’t mention that when you’re signing up
Contrary to some folks, the unions are generally not the viper in your back seat waiting to bite you. It is in their best interest to keep you employed and paying dues. I have a preference of unions, but that is my preference. Wherever you end up, pay the dues, and be glad you have a job with a few bennies that can be carried over to other companies represented by that same union.
I think the right answer to your question is join both unions upon graduation and stick with the one that gets you a job first. AMO is free, that’s a no-brainer. MM&P is a few hundred up front and can get you night mates. But really just hustle and take the first job you can get and pile up a cushion.
My preference is the for the union the last 17 years that has paid my pension and family medical bills.
AMO… My son was MMP during his short career, domer will like that perhaps.
I’ve worked one union job and a lot of non-union. If the company treats you right non-union can be good. But, they can also be shit. The union boat I was on was good and I had no complaints, but I wasn’t there very long.
Like Kingrobby, I sailed both union and not union (and for two different unions). There are benefits and liabilities for both. It is a tough time to be sailing. Concentrate on getting a job first. If you have to join a union, then by all means, do so.
Join MEBA, MMP and AMO upon graduation. When you start working you can just ignore the others. As long as you keep it quiet and don’t sail with any others nobody cares. The unions will care if you come home from one job, then go to another union looking for work. It’s a small industry. There are a few gov contracts are coming up next year and if you wan to have the best chance for work keep an eye on what companies pick up the Watson Class and Bobo Class vessels. If MMP retains Watson class you will want to get you required gov training(MITAGS) as soon as possible, as its much easier to ship as an applicant on gov ships than it is to hit the hall looking for commercial work. If MEBA is awarded the Watson Class or Bobo Class go with MEBA. MEBA has only a few mates and will initially struggle to crew up a 5 or 8 ship fleet. Considering you have 1 year left you should absolutely join MMP as an associate member. Any way you can gain a advantage(higher book/group status) over another mate is a plus. If I recall, associate members gain group time or something through cadet time??? Also Look into the MEBA cadet intern program next summer or this summer if it runs. It will be mostly engine at MEBA school during the program but there have been a few mates over the years. It could be a great way to get the classes you need for GOV ships before you head out. pm me if you have some more questions.
I was aware that MEBA was generally more of an engineering union so to say, so that is good to know. Would MEBA or any of the unions post information like that on their newsletters?
Yes actually, every day while at school (not sure if online counts or not), associate members gain half a point, and then while at sea on a school ship another half point is gained per day
I will definitely look into this, thank you
I will be living in San Juan, Puerto Rico upon graduating
My 2 cents? Been sailing 20 years, first ten non-union, all over the US, tugs/OSV’s. got unlimited in 2009 and have been AMO ever since. I prefer AMO as it’s the ‘working mans union’, there’s an online job board, I don’t need to live near a hall, and our school is awesome, especially if you live where it snows in the winter. Head down to Florida to warm up for a few weeks and take a class.
Thats funny because I was emailing one of the captains at my school about AMO and he said the same exact thing, ‘working mans union.’ But when it comes down to it, I won’t be living near a hall, so I’m leaning towards AMO mainly because of that
I need to keep doing research, plus I still have plenty of time to chose
We’re all working men and women in this business, so I won’t belittle the people who choose where they want to make their homes in this business.
Go wherever you can get in and just remember never to feel obligated to stay anywhere if you don’t like it. No one knows what you want or need better than you do… no one.
With the exception of MSC vessels ~99% of ocean going ships are union. Compare that to ~99% of non-tug workboats are non union, and tugs are roughly evenly split union vs non union. With the small vessels union seniority doesn’t normally dictate hiring of officers, the company can hire whoever they want then you join the union afterwards if you aren’t already a member.
Ultimately, I would like to work on ships until the end of my shipping career, but things don’t always go as planned, which is another reason why I am pursuing my mate of tow.
Then join MSC if they’ll hire you and ship like crazy, make money, see the world, bank sea time, and upgrade your license. Stay with MSC until you have at least Chief Mate Unlimited then transition to union government vessels. Last I heard it’s easy to get Chief Mate positions on government contract ships because so few Chief Mates have the required classes. (Last I heard you can make the same per year working 3 months on 3 months off as a civilian Chief Mate as you can working 10 months for MSC as Chief Mate.)
If you can, pay dues while at MSC and get time towards your book and time towards retirement.