CHIEF MATE / RELIEF CAPTAIN

Req #: 71113
Department: SCHOOL OF OCEANOGRAPHY
Job Location: Other Locations
Job Location Detail: R/V Thomas G. Thompson; at sea
Posting Date: 02/15/2011
Closing Info: Closes On 03/02/2011
Salary: $4196 to $4865/month
Notes: Please note that this position has been re-posted and will close on March 3. If you have already submitted your application, you need not submit it again, as it has already been received.

The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoy outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The many research activities of the School advance our knowledge of the oceans and contribute to the understanding of societal concerns. Research programs span small projects involving a faculty member and student, to large coordinated international thematic research efforts. The School occupies modern facilities located on the southwest edge of the University of Washington campus overlooking Portage Bay and operates the research vessel, the 274-foot R/V Thomas G. Thompson. Commissioned in 1991, this ocean-going research vessel is intended for use in sponsored oceanographic research projects by investigators from institutions around the country and can accommodate 36 scientists during cruises, which typically last 40-50 days, with an endurance of 12,000 miles and 60 days. The R/V Thomas G. Thompson is owned by the Office of Naval Research and operated under a Charter Party agreement by the School of Oceanography at the University of Washington as part of the UNOLS fleet.

We have an outstanding opportunity for a Chief Mate / Relief Captain. With delegated authority, interview and recommend selection of applicants, conduct training, assign and schedule work, act upon leave requests, conduct annual performance evaluations and recommend disciplinary action;

Under general supervision, serve as chief officer and second in command of an ocean research ship of approximately 3500 gross tons.

TYPICAL WORK

Stand bridge watches operating and navigating the ship;

Supervise the foc’sle crew when entering and leaving port or anchorage;

Conduct boat drills, fire drills, and other emergency procedures;

Supervise the work of junior mates and the deck crew; assign maintenance and repair duties;

Maintain adequate inventory of deck department equipment and consumable supplies;

Prepare work requests for repairs to be accomplished by shipyards;

Supervise personnel in the loading, stowage, securing and unloading of equipment and heavy stores;

Prepare watch lists;

May serve as Relief Captain;

Perform related duties as required.

This position provides a unique opportunity to work in a state-of-the-art research facility.

Requirements:
Legal Requirement: A U.S. Coast Guard Chief Mate’s license valid for operation of an inspected motor vessel of unlimited tonnage, upon ocean waters.

Additional requirements include:
• U.S. Coast Guard Master’s license valid for operation of an inspected vessel of unlimited tonnage, upon ocean waters
• Experienced in Dynamic Positioning
• Possess basic computer skills: word processing, spreadsheets, email
• Valid U.S. Driver’s license
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.

Desired:
• 5 years of ocean research vessel experience

Condition of Employment:
A satisfactory outcome from a criminal background verification will be required prior to hire.

As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.

Application Process:

Part of the application process for this position includes completing the Employment Eligibility Assessment to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. The assessment will appear on your screen for you to complete as soon as you select “Apply to this Position” on this job announcement. Once you begin the assessment, it must be completed at that time. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your “My Jobs” page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until the assessment is complete.

The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206.543.6450 / 206.543.6452 (tty) or dso@u.washington.edu.

[QUOTE=dougpine;47426]Salary: $4196 to $4865/month[/QUOTE]

[B]What The F&%# !?!
[/B]

It’s smaller than foreign captain’s wage.

It’s still a job isn’t it?

Let me get this straight, they are looking for a Chief Mate Unlimited Tonnage (who like a Master’s ticket), along with DP experience for $4196 to $4865 a month?? Thats about $140 to $160 a day???

well… she IS 2155 GT!

but does a research vessel need a licensed operator? or does the insurance require it? maybe it makes for a lesser qualification (or dare I say desperation?)

[QUOTE=cappy208;47515]well… she IS 2155 GT!

but does a research vessel need a licensed operator? or does the insurance require it? maybe it makes for a lesser qualification (or dare I say desperation?)[/QUOTE]

I think she is actually 3250grt. Her lightship displacement is 2155lt. In any event, the ship does require unlimited tonnage licensed officers because although the ship is government owned, she is inspected under 46CFR subchapter U (oceanographic vessels) and thus has to be manned accordingly. It’s NOAA vessels that do not require licensed officers on the bridge because they don’t have COI’s which is a bunch of BS, but so it is. Bigger BS is that they pay such a misery amount for the job but there is always a young officer looking for his first command and many have ascended to the master’s position there pretty quickly plus there are a whole bunch of young female graduate students aboard for every mission :wink: Also, you get to go to ports you would never get within 12000 miles of if you’re working out of Bayoo LaFoosh! There is a picture of her here alongside a pier in Hobart, Tasmania. How often do you get there in a lifetime? This would really be a great job if you don’t need or care about the money.

[QUOTE=c.captain;47516] It’s NOAA vessels that do not require licensed officers on the bridge because they don’t have COI’s which is a bunch of BS, but so it is. .[/QUOTE]

Not true. NOAA Ships have a CG COI letter, it’s just not a requirement. NOAA doesn’t require licenses on the bridge because they are public vessels and are manned by the NOAA Corps, commissioned officers. There are a handful of us civilian Mates/Master on NOAA ships, but we all have the appropriate licenses.

[QUOTE=Oldsalt206;47529]Not true. NOAA Ships have a CG COI letter, it’s just not a requirement. NOAA doesn’t require licenses on the bridge because they are public vessels and are manned by the NOAA Corps, commissioned officers. There are a handful of us civilian Mates/Master on NOAA ships, but we all have the appropriate licenses.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Oldsalt…I stand corrected. Btw, how many civmars does NOAA have sailing in the wheelhouse and are some actually masters? I’ve heard that the Corps was fiercly protective of their turf so to speak.

[QUOTE=c.captain;47536]Sorry Oldsalt…I stand corrected. Btw, how many civmars does NOAA have sailing in the wheelhouse and are some actually masters? I’ve heard that the Corps was fiercly protective of their turf so to speak.[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize c.captain. There are 6 civilian mates and chief mates in the NOAA fleet and at least 2 ships have civilian Masters. NOAA has started its own AB to Mate program (ABC School). The candidate gets sent to Kings Point for BOTC for 16 weeks with the newly indoctrinated Ensigns to take all of the required STCW training. After a few months at sea you go for a second round and third round of training to finish up all of the classes required for a 1600ton mates license. Much like PMI’s AB to Mate program. (I used the training to test for Unlimited) The application process was a bear, a AB Unlimited is required to even apply for ABC school.

BTW, did you know that the training offered to the NOAA Corps has been approved to by the Coast Guard to issue 1600ton mates licenses? Its a pretty good deal for anyone thinking of joining the NOAA corps, you get a commission and a license.

Also, all NOAA ships have ABS classifications and are run through the ringer by our own in house Fleet Inspectors.

So why do different institutions have different regs to follow. It is pretty amazing how a little grease in the right place makes everything alright!

Old salt clarifys the COI. But the COI does NOT have a manning complement listed. Sounds sort of bogus to me. I recall a certain industry that has lobbied long and hard to keep the fleet uninspected, and is now trying to have “Inspected Uninspected Towing Vessels.” Sound familiar?

They should post pics of the crew, maybe it might attract them to the job.

Come on “Old Salt”…NOAA Corps [U][B]shut down[/B][/U] the AB to Mate program 2 years ago which is common knowledge The truth is NOAA corps is not in favor of civilian mates on the bridge, they want it to be 100% NOAA Corps (except the lookout). Instead they are spending a fortune to recruit more NOAA Corps officers. NOAA will send AB’s to individual STCW Schools as long as they pertain directly to their jobs, but not as a formal “AB to Mate” scenario. The top brass said (in writing) they “do not see the AB to Mate program being re-instituted in the foreseeable future”

[QUOTE=capttarpon727;52630]Come on “Old Salt”…NOAA Corps [U][B]shut down[/B][/U] the AB to Mate program 2 years ago which is common knowledge The truth is NOAA corps is not in favor of civilian mates on the bridge, they want it to be 100% NOAA Corps (except the lookout). Instead they are spending a fortune to recruit more NOAA Corps officers. NOAA will send AB’s to individual STCW Schools as long as they pertain directly to their jobs, but not as a formal “AB to Mate” scenario. The top brass said (in writing) they “do not see the AB to Mate program being re-instituted in the foreseeable future”[/QUOTE]

You should log onto gcaptain more often. Everyone’s AB to mate program has been cancelled.

[QUOTE=capttarpon727;52630]Come on “Old Salt”…NOAA Corps [U][B]shut down[/B][/U] the AB to Mate program 2 years ago which is common knowledge The truth is NOAA corps is not in favor of civilian mates on the bridge, they want it to be 100% NOAA Corps (except the lookout). Instead they are spending a fortune to recruit more NOAA Corps officers. NOAA will send AB’s to individual STCW Schools as long as they pertain directly to their jobs, but not as a formal “AB to Mate” scenario. The top brass said (in writing) they “do not see the AB to Mate program being re-instituted in the foreseeable future”[/QUOTE]

This sounds like ageism, since you can’t join the corps after your early 40’s. I wonder why?

A lot of laws either don’t apply, or don’t fully apply to this industry. Namely disabilities.

Regarding over 40, once you are IN is ok. But some companies quietly just ‘don’t have a spot’ for you starting out over 40. I think it has to do with training. They don’t want to have to keep paying for training if you only have 20 years left ( at least as far as wheelhouse personnel are concerned.). The previous is MHO, not neccesarily the reality.

[QUOTE=cappy208;59187]A lot of laws either don’t apply, or don’t fully apply to this industry. Namely disabilities.

Regarding over 40, once you are IN is ok. But some companies quietly just ‘don’t have a spot’ for you starting out over 40. I think it has to do with training. They don’t want to have to keep paying for training if you only have 20 years left ( at least as far as wheelhouse personnel are concerned.). The previous is MHO, not neccesarily the reality.[/QUOTE]

This I don’t understand. How many people stay with the same company for 20 years nowadays, especially in the maritime industry?? So why should they care? And why would NOAA or anyone in the maritime industry have a mandatory retirement age of 62?

[QUOTE=MariaW;59254]This I don’t understand. How many people stay with the same company for 20 years nowadays, especially in the maritime industry?? So why should they care? And why would NOAA or anyone in the maritime industry have a mandatory retirement age of 62?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know, but I’m currently on my 17th, going on 18th!

Regarding how it affects training and advancement; I know it is illegal, but that has never let an HR person when comparing two applicants to not silently consider ther remaining age education level, computer literacy, and experience.

Because the NOAA Corps is a Commissioned service you cannot serve over the age of 62 except in extreme circumstances and would not be at sea generally. Therefore the maximum age to join is 42 because of federal law that requires Commissioned officer to complete 20 years of service before the age of 62, just like the other uniformed services.

Also; NOAA Corps is no longer doing the 1600 Mate thing. With the move to the Coast Guard Academy and the alignment with CG OCS the licensing stuff was secured. The graduates walk out with the necessary STCW certificates to apply for a 100 ton once they have the sea time, but no “program” per se.