Penn lastest Kirby aquisition?

Barge monkey-ever think the “upper management” may not have had a choice when it came to leaving?

I can only speculate on what ive been told. When I come back, and there are 4 guys from kirby on this boat in the last 10 months kinda make you wonder how things are over there. I just wish those guys would bring back thier website, the trash talk was epic.

www.nyharbor.webs.com

Not near as good as the old site they had

http://thertbu.com/

[QUOTE=“KPEngineer;89569”]There was talk on the boats last year that Mr. Waterman would sell soon and retire. He found a buyer willing to pay the right price, nothing more to it than that.

The money and benefits weren’t that great that it would have impacted the bottom line. Most of the time we were on contract so Penn was getting bad even while we were sitting.[/QUOTE]

I just spoke with a friend that is currently employed by Penn. He said Waterman was in the hole about 115 million…so he took the deal. Penn has not “talked” to the employees yet…they are not sure what is going to happen…hurry up and wait!

Dec 15th, Penn becomes Kirby. Spoke to a mate on one of penns wire boats, i guess thier contract with SIU reads that after 30days from the sale of the company, the contract can be used for toilet paper.

I suspect that all the Penn 333 guys will go to RTBU. It would be better for them as 333 was useless anyway. The question is what happens to the Penn SIU guys. SIU was always a sweetheart deal, but we never were taken either. Will Kirby deal with two unions? Is it in our interest to do so? The biggest problem is for the guys that have a significant amount of time towards SIU. So many questions - just have to wait and see…

[QUOTE=“waterman480;89654”]I suspect that all the Penn 333 guys will go to RTBU. It would be better for them as 333 was useless anyway. The question is what happens to the Penn SIU guys. SIU was always a sweetheart deal, but we never were taken either. Will Kirby deal with two unions? Is it in our interest to do so? The biggest problem is for the guys that have a significant amount of time towards SIU. So many questions - just have to wait and see…[/QUOTE]

I am employed by a 333 company. Do you think it is a good idea that Penn join the RTBU?? My company employees are considering leaving 333 and joining the RTBU…Just looking for some other opinions of NY boatmen and such. I am not sure if this deserves a separate thread. Also, it seems this site is dominated by GOM people…Are there any 333 people out there in cyber land??

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;89721]I am employed by a 333 company. Do you think it is a good idea that Penn join the RTBU?? My company employees are considering leaving 333 and joining the RTBU…Just looking for some other opinions of NY boatmen and such. I am not sure if this deserves a separate thread. Also, it seems this site is dominated by GOM people…Are there any 333 people out there in cyber land??[/QUOTE]

I left the boats at KSEA (Harbor Mate) before the rise of RTBU (2010). In short, 333 in NY Harbor were THUGS and useless. ONLY time you saw a delegate near the boats was on crewchange and THAT was to hit up the arrivals to insure they were current on their dues. THAT was it. The delegate served NO OTHER PURPOSE. They were useless for the layoffs in 2009. A Chief Engineer got laid off and found work in NY Harbor BEFORE the Union could and was PISSED OFF that he found it. We were poorly represented by the Union for the 2008 negotiation after they jammed Moran with that Bullshit caveat, and I paraphrase; if another unit inside the Union negotiated lesser wages then Moran could lower THEIR wages in kind. I wouldn’t piss on 333 if they were on fire. Skip Remington can be acquired taste but he won’t fuck you like 333 did

I used to work for penn 333. Great place to work. From wat ive seen i like the 333 contract better but i also havent seen the whole contract with rtbu to compare to. . But this discussion deff needs its own thread.

[QUOTE=“Jolly Tar;89723”]

I left the boats at KSEA (Harbor Mate) before the rise of RTBU (2010). In short, 333 in NY Harbor were THUGS and useless. ONLY time you saw a delegate near the boats was on crewchange and THAT was to hit up the arrivals to insure they were current on their dues. THAT was it. The delegate served NO OTHER PURPOSE. They were useless for the layoffs in 2009. A Chief Engineer got laid off and found work in NY Harbor BEFORE the Union could and was PISSED OFF that he found it. We were poorly represented by the Union for t008 negotiation after they jammed Moran with that Bullshit caveat, and I paraphrase; if another unit inside the Union negotiated lesser wages then Moran could lower THEIR wages in kind. I wouldn’t piss on 333 if they were on fire. Skip Remington can be acquired taste but he won’t fuck you like 333 did[/QUOTE]

I was part of the 2009 layoffs. And I agree with your reply JollyTar. This is kind of a hotbed topic up north. Say the word and I will start a new thread. I didn’t know if it was a taboo subject on here with all of the pointy sticks. Don’t get me wrong…I enjoy the poking and all that goes with it. Actually, I would like to hear what the veterans think of this subject…cCaptain, Cappy208, Fraqat, and the like.

My POV is pretty simple. (Like my mind) If I have been shorted or treated badly I shy away. OR I scream like hell to try to get it fixed.

In the case of Union, way back when I joined SIU, the motto was (paraphrasing here, since I let my book go. And it was a LONG time ago…). “As a Union brother, I agree to never work for less than Union Scale.”. In over 30 years I have always made Union scale or better (whether I was working under a contract it not.). So that was confirmed when I started at one NY company several years after the strike. After the contract was signed ( and I had to join 333 and pay a 1,700. Initiation fee my annual pay jumped up about 7,500 bucks.) So for those who deny that a Union does any good, you should have been in the industry prior to!

This is certainly not to say you can’t find, keep and enjoy a great job that is NOT Union. However, unless there is a Union job around to set standards… You’re gonna get the scraps.

[QUOTE=bell47;89537]LOL… Tell Hostess that.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Hostess management, the same ones who gave themselves 300% pay raises at the time they asked unions to take cuts? The same ones who (last week) petitioned the bankruptcy court for large bonuses so they can supervise the liquidation of the company in bankruptcy? Effin’ evel union bastiges…

Why is 333 and RTBU being mentioned as the only available options? RTBU is an upstart with no leverage, and 333, which is a deckhand/tankerman union, is nothing more than extortion. Can’t wait to July when our contract negotiations begin. What’s it gonna be this year boys? Posting grub receipts or wifi? Let’s not negotiate seniority, schooling, or other benefits, No that would make too much sense!

I remember back in my 333 days some of the suggestions for a upcoming contracts. My favorite was Stainless Steel forks and spoons in the galley. Some of us wanted better wages and benefits but most of the suggested items for a contract were just plain stupid!

I agree with what was post before, without unions wages would be going backwards!

[QUOTE=Tugs;90296] Some of us wanted better wages and benefits but most of the suggested items for a contract were just plain stupid!![/QUOTE]

I was on committe for several SIU contracts. After losing our cooks in one contract, the company was going after asst engineers, transportation, unemployment and overtime. During a meeting, I mentioned to some of the guys that a little less “creative writing” on the overtime would go a long way to drop this issue. One guy replied “they’re gonna take away the OT anyway so we oughta get all we can now!” Another demanded an ice machine. After that, I figured nothing would surprise me. They proved me wrong on the next contract…

[QUOTE=jdcavo;89984]Do you mean Hostess management, the same ones who gave themselves 300% pay raises at the time they asked unions to take cuts? The same ones who (last week) petitioned the bankruptcy court for large bonuses so they can supervise the liquidation of the company in bankruptcy? Effin’ evel union bastiges…[/QUOTE]

I invested in Interstate Baking which later became Hostess many years ago and sadly watched as everything from computer companies to vulture capital outfits drove the brand which made Wonder Bread into the ground.
To say that the unions broke Hostess shows ignorance of the facts. The venture boys mortgaged this outfit to the hilt, invested nothing back into the business, took the money, declared bankruptcy and blamed the unions. When there are no more unions to blame maybe then people will see these greedy bastards for what they are.

It only makes sence for allied and penn to stay SIU and even more sence for the KSEA guys to join up with SIU we could all have 1 voice. nothing against a inhouse union but there is just no access to the bargining power for pensions, wages and such. SIU allready have the lawyers and know how. with KSEA joined with SIU we could have a powerful voice. hope you guys think this through and it cant hurt to talk with SIU and weight the benefits of joining feel free to contact me and i can point you in the right direction. its worth talking about and weighing all your options is the smartest thing we can all do at this point and time. Its worth the call be informed SIU has alot to offer.

from the Penn boats.

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;89303]http://www.kxxv.com/story/20200643/kirby-corporation-signs-agreement-to-acquire-penn-maritime

Wonder if the Penn Maritime employees will have to join the new RTBU union?[/QUOTE]

Penn or Allied would gain nothing by joining RTBU they have nothing to offer as far as i have heard you just pay dues SIU has alot to offer if i was Ksea i would weigh my options and talk with some folks SIU has alot to offer they have schools and benifits such as a pension, medical and MPP and other benifits.