Pecking order?

Oh, but I have also sailed with a captain or two that were pretty oblivious to geographical awareness. . . do I have a story or two. . . .but I digress. . .

3 Likes

Hehehe, well, controlling the air conditioning is a tool for a passive aggressive AH like me. . . .

3 Likes

There is a difference between command of the ship and the management of the ship. The command lines should be through the traditional hierarchy . Management of the ship should done by the senior officers.

If something was to happen to the chief I would rely upon the 1 A/E for technical advice, same as I rely now upon the chief.

1 Like

In my experience that’s the way a lot of ships are run. C/E claims to want nothing to do with command or running the deck but if things don’t go his way he is going to make life aboard unpleasant, wrong approach in my view.

A good chief brings a lot of experience and importantly a different point of view to the table, that’s why it’s important to make sure his voice is heard with regards to shipboard management.

Too bad this stuff isn’t taught.

2 Likes

This works both ways, there have been way to many times where the ER Crew was up for well over 24 hours but the “Deck” Crew just had to do maintenance right outside of their rooms! Nothing like trying to sleep after a long 24 or so hours on 130 deg heat only to hear someone running a needle gun or deck descaler next to your buck!

While I’ve never “intentionally” cut the AC or Hot Water to a Captain or mate’s SR, one boat that I worked on where the blower (way before AC was common on Tugs) for the Captain’s room did some funny things. His room was cooled by the Intake Blower for the ER which created a venturi effect and would draw fresh “cooler” air in from a cracked Porthole. Somehow this Blower would become a Exhaust Blower and well you can guess the rest.

This Captain had a Hatred of Engineers that went back years before my time and even though I tried to do what I could to please him nothing worked. He went so far to Order the Deckhands NOT to assist me in the ER. The Union Contract allowed this as long as O/T was paid for working out of department. When it came to O/T, I wrote as much as i could and if I guy helped for 1 hour he got 2. I ended up getting fired from that boat. The shame of all this is this guy was one hell of a Boat Handler and I would have gone anywhere with him and not worried about him getting us into trouble.

The joke was on this Captain as once we had the meeting with the Union that Company was told that if 1 boat was working, I had to be on it! Just for the record, I was with that company for a couple of years after all of this and finally left because of massive pay cuts.

1 Like

I thought that, at least on a Foreign Flagged Passenger Ship that were Crew with an entire US Crew, the Bartender was next in line for Command if the Captain was disabled???

Some of our younger members might not get this one. LOL

3 Likes

And no matter how badly wrong things go for me, there’s nothing that I can do that will point the keel in the wrong direction or break the ship in half… both of which I gather are possibilities with cargo operations. CCR is another good place to have the air conditioning perfect and use library voices.

1 Like

A:

B:

Are we supposed to pick A or B?

Really? You’ve never heard of someone being fired from one boat/ship and immediately put on another?

1 Like

Yeah, must be a little boat thing. Usually those guys get fired from the company not just one boat from what I have seen.

I didn’t for a change read all the responses but aboard a ‘regular’ ship on the hi seas, its" cptn, cme, and the rest can fight it out.

well, of course the bosun will still handle the deck stuff and the mate will ““plot the course””.

The easiest way to get rid of a guy is to tell the office “give him a try on another boat, but we don’t want him back here again.” Just because a guy did not work out on one boat may not mean that won’t be ok on a different one.

5 Likes

Fair enough.

On tugboats with a real chief engineer, not a deckineer, the Chief is sometimes one of the oldest and most experienced guys on the boat. Many started out as deckhands. Some chief’s are good navigators and boathandlers with local knowledge. Sometimes the experienced chief has to babysit an inexperienced young mate.

Many tugboat captains and mates have been deckineers themselves, and are often pretty good engineers.

3 Likes

Whoever holds the deck officer’s license is in charge of navigation. I think that is pretty clear with the USCG. I wouldn’t expect the engineer to run the wheehouse just like they shouldn’t expect me to go down in the engine room and tell them what to do. Company policies don’t overrule CFRs.

Well there it is. If it was a snake it would have bit me. Thank you so much.

ISAAC!!!

2 Likes

I was never the oldest on board, and I didn’t start out as a deck hand, nor ever sailed as a deckineer, but I certainly learned my way around deck and even occasionally on the wheel on tugboats. Oftentimes the engineer becomes an extra deckhand/mate with small crews. At least that was my experience. . . .

1 Like

That’s usually the “lead captain” vs the “relief captain”. I’ve only heard “senior captain” used in modern times in reference to the guy that has been master of a specific vessel longest (in an equal time rotation) to designate he has slightly more authority about things done to the boat (modifications, alterations, and such) than the other master.