P&O redundancies

Where is your empathy and concern for the 800 fellow seafarers who are being sacked for no other reason than profit? All the while you celebrate the decimation of the remains of the once great British Merchant Navy? That same Merchant Navy which helped save your bacon in WW II? (Along with the US Merchant Marine).

Anti-Union. Anti-US. And now, for the latest tin foil hat saga- Anti-Brit. The “not so great re-poster” has thrilled us yet again…

1 Like

I believe the Norwegian Merchant Marine helped “save some bacon” as well,

Maybe you missed this post?

It is a cruel world, but we have to face reality; if you can’t compete on costs you loose.
I agree that the way this was done is not correct. It should have been done according to the protocol set forth in the bargaining agreement, with a decent notice period.

As for compassion and empathy with my fellow seafarers? I think you Mr,“2GENUSMM” lack any, at least for non-US seafarers, judging from your posts on this forum.

What profit did P O’s parent company make last year?

Look like DP World Group did OK in 2021:

P&O Ferries did badly, however. The caompany has lost a lot of money in 2019, 2020 and estimated to have lost another £100 Mln. in 2021:

Subject: Sign the petition! Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, CEO of DP World, Owners of P&O Ferries: P&O Global Letter of Protest

Body:

Friend,

On March 17, P&O Ferries in the UK sacked 800 seafarers with 30 minutes notice over a pre-recorded Zoom call.

Aside from being callous and beneath contempt, this behaviour not only lacks any form of basic decency, but appears to be a flagrant violation of UK labour law and international labour standards.

The International Transport Workers Federation has a meeting with the owners of P&O on March 29. Let’s send them to that meeting with thousands of names pledging solidarity with these workers who deserve so much better than the scandalous treatment they’ve received.

We can’t and won’t let this go unchallenged. Will you join me in signing this open letter to the owners of P&O.

Can you join me and take action? Click here: Sign the P&O Global Letter of Protest

Thanks!

Where do they come from? It just say Agency hire, but nothing about where they are/will be recruited from.
The logical solution would be to look for Officers from Eastern Europe and crew maybe from India.
I have not seen anything to verify from where, however. (??)

Copied from Misc. Cartoon thread:

You Sir, read (and perhaps comprehend) selectively. No compassion for non-US Flag Seafarer’s ? What was the post about? Specifically non-US seafarers. And for your information, my family was comprised of non-US Flag seafarers also- specifically in the British Merchant Navy… This dates back nearly a century on both sides-

Again, the sacking of ANY seafarers especially a mass sacking just to increase corporate profit margins is terrible and often unwarranted. This is one of the reasons that most (if not all) of the countries that once had large ocean going merchant fleets are practically extinct.

Perhaps (as your on-line available CV suggests) you would have better served your roots in the Norwegian Merchant Marine by staying a course at home… You are an elder member of this forum and I have opted to tone down this response. I have dealt with a fair number of your peers- who like you- have incessantly trashed the USMM- this is something that I personally hold in great disdain…

1 Like

I am a realist, not a believer in fairytales.
It is sad to see a traditional British shipping company being sold off piecemeal to highest bidder.
The ferries to DP World, the Cruise Line to Carnival, the Container Line to NedLloyd, (which got sold to Maersk) and their Australian Offshore fleet to Farstad. (which is now Solstad)

PS> Looks like DP World is reviving the P&O Container Line brand in a small way:

PPS> DP World is also reviving the P&O Maritime name:

Otherwise I’ll just say; You are right!!!

Believer in “Fairy Tales”? I think not. Let me expand about on my roots in the seafaring industry;

My family (as far back as we have traced thus far) started in our industry prior to 1920- as a work-away coal passer and later trimmer aboard Canadian Pacific ships running between Liverpool and Canada. Also on this side of the family- numerous cousins worked for White Star and Cunard both before and after their merger- mostly in the Steward Department. This went on until the retirement of the Cunard Queens…

The other side of the family started around the same time in IWW as far back as 1922, then next relative joined the SUP in 1928, (he marched down Market Street on Bloody Thursday) the next one the MFOW in 1937, the next one in 1939, then next one in 1942 (he also in the SUP). The next one attended CME in the 1960’s, myself started in 1977- my wife in 1982. Resident in our family are almost exclusively Deep Sea Masters, Chief Engineer and a handful of Deck and Engine Ratings. Most of us were (and some still are) great supporters of Maritime Labor. There has been at least one member of my family actively engaged in every sealift operation since WW2.

I started in 1977 as a Wiper, became a 3rd A/E “through the hawsepipe” at age 21; Chief Engineer at age 30. My CV includes time as a Class Society Surveyor, Marine Superintendent, Port Engineer, Consultant Marine Engineer (Naval Arch/Design area) as well as Marine Engineering Manager for one of the Oil majors- I have witnessed firsthand the hardships and realities of corporate downsizing and outsourcing… It sucks.

Further- let’s bring this subject closer to home to you- You of course realize that a once solidly “home flag state” crewed company (originally two companies one of which you worked for) have been on a tear to replace EVERY Norwegian and Swedish Officer or Crewmember aboard the vessels- despite the long-proven track record that these seafarers are noted for- seafarers which I believe are largely responsible for the success this company has long enjoyed… Hell, they even went so far as to close up all of the Wet Bars aboard their vessels- in an attempt to “foster” more retirements and therefore replacements… How do you feel about their being made redundant?

P&O Ferries broke the law and must be penalised (nautilusint.org)

When technology moves in to work alongside skilled workers that job is devalued, even eliminated
or the job requires no skill update for last 50 years.
Along with the penalty for mistakes is somebody elses problem
Your industry works in no mans land of non taxed businesses
Nobody sure what rules govern the workers in nobodys durisdiction
Your replacement prints their own qualifications and cant answer questions because they cant speak English.
your F*cked

‘English’ speakers won’t do a shitty job like lashing hundreds of trailers a day for a pittance.
They (and ‘us’) even have to buy our own soap now.

I’ve read some professional bs but this guy is really good. Only external factors caused the problem? While I’ll agree Brexit caused problems management is responsible for nothing?

1 Like

It looks like some of them got jobs on Putin’s yacht.

CEO of firm behind refit of ‘Putin’s £500m superyacht’ speaks out (msn.com)

It ain’t over yet …

3 Likes

2 Likes

I didn’t know that P&O had their own dockers.
Anyway, I’m not bothered: I work for a cross Channel ferry company too but my contract is based in Guernsey so I am perfectly safe.

That’s nice: