One month after the DALI allision

And there has been next to nothing released by the USCG or the NTSB since!

WTF?

It seems likely that some complex electrical issues are involved. The NTSB may need to bring in the National Academy of Sciences to help figure that out.

The company and the crew have undoubtedly lawyered up in the midst of a criminal investigation. It may become a long federal grand jury investigation.

I don’t think we’ll see a final report from the NTSB for a couple of years. Probably only very general non-conclusive statements out of the NTSB until the criminal investigation gives them the go ahead.

NTSB said they expect a preliminary report in May.

1 Like

We wait a year or more for some aircraft accidents, it takes time.

Either agency usually releases some sort of preliminary finding by this point…they certainly did it with the loss of the EL FARO

There will be a number of international regulations involved (e.g. UNCLOS, IMO instruments, including SOLAS and MARPOL Conventions, Casualty Investigation Code and Code for the implementation of mandatory IMO instruments). National law may supersede some of these regulations. In Germany, it is mandated by national and EU law for the Federal Bureau of Maritime Casualty Investigation (BSU, Bundesstelle für Seeunfalluntersuchungen), to publish an interim report, whenever the final report on an investigation will not be available within 12 months from the date of incident*, regardless of contemporaneous criminal investigations or pending liability law suits. However, these interim reports often seem to merely fulfill that obligation on paper, and remain rather light in content. In contrast, the NTSB preliminary reports I have seen so far, tend to be more comprehensive and outspoken. It will be interesting to see, how they will manage the preliminary Key Bridge report under the enormous legal, financial and political pressure in the short time frame they have committed themselves to. I do not envy them. Due to their track record, I will have confidence in their final report (fortunately, the conspiracy thread is closed).

*:
“Pursuant to the second sentence of Article 28(1) of the Law to improve safety of shipping by investigating marine casualties and other incidents (Maritime Safety Investigation Law - SUG) in conjunction with the second sentence of Article 14(2) of Directive 2009/18/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 establishing the fundamental principles governing the investigation of accidents in the maritime transport sector, the Federal Bureau of Maritime Casualty Investigation publishes an interim investigation report within a period of 12 months of a very serious or serious marine casualty if it is not possible to complete the corresponding investigation report within that period.”

5 Likes

Well, I can say that I am frustrated as hell not hearing anything at all but I guess we will see what they release in early May.

Which early May, 202X ?

Meanwhile, the local radio this morning is saying now is your chance to get in our out with 35 feet or less draft, the main channel will be open for a few days before they close it again to finish up getting the Dali loose.

Nice looking bulbous bow on Balsa 94 getting out of Baltimore. Looks like they hit something head on as well.

1 Like

The Balsa 94 seems to be trying to tow a tugboat home with them and another tug showed up off to starboard to try and get it back…or they don’t want more parts of the bridge knocked over.

Just curious, is the port all Moran?

Moran and McAllister share the work.

Maybe Krause every once in a great while?

Krause ceased operations a couple of years ago.
All the boats except one, Theresa Krause, have been sold.

Watch video of the passage from bulker Phatra Naree;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwLiQVGL76o&t=1s .

I thought that was the case, but I wasn’t sure.