OIM - Very similair job to Master of Ocean Freighter

Maybe he was just pointing out that you don’t need to be a master to be an oim? He said “valid career path”, not recommended career path… It sounded to me like he was simply stating that it was possible.

man, I am so late coming into this thread that I am just this once going to just sit and watch in rapt fascination with a big bucket of greased popcorn…now I get to experience all the fun everybody else talks about!

I do have to say that it is going to require strict discipline to remain on the sidelines…I already am itchin to weigh in here

down keyboard…DOWN!

This thread demonstrates the problem with the OIM role in the drilling industry. As far as I know the USCG is the only agency that requires the Master to fulfill the role of OIM and that only applies to US flagged MODU’s. So that really only affects the GSF Explorer… Correct me if I’m wrong on that. From there the companies are left to decide and within those organizations individual managers get to say how it’s going to work on their rig. Some get it right and some screw it up to the point we get the animosity demonstrated here.

I have the luxury of a rig manager that understands my role as not being the Sr. Drilling guy on board. I’m expected to know what’s happening on the rig floor, in the engine room and on the bridge but, as Capt Phoenix points out, the Sr. Tool pusher is the department head for drilling. I have a Chief Engineer to advise me on the power plant and rig equipment and a Captain to advise me on marine matters. The Captain retains his overriding authority for emergencies. A well control incident is still an emergency and the Captain is in charge of emergency management while the drill crew and I work with the Customer on a solution and provide him what’s needed to make an informed decision on abandonment. Quite simply, a modern DP drillship has too much going on with multiple well centers, 200+ POB, 2 or 3 engine rooms, and endless regulatory burden for one man to do it all. The team concept is necessary to be successful in my opinion and, lacking regulatory guidance and back-up, we need to rely on communication and professionalism to avoid the events of 2 years ago this week.

If you’re put in a position where you’re being used for your paperwork and have no support you have to walk away like you would if you were put on an unseaworthy vessel with no management support to fix it.

Liberia Flagged MODUs require an OIM endorsement onboard. OCS and UKCS require an OIM endorsement/license onboard MODUs. But this thread is not about OIM vs Capt who is ultimate responsibility. This is about helping other Mariners understand the drilling profession and the opportunities out there.

And Anchorman, such harsh language, you of everyone should appreciate the opportunity given to you by a Drilling Contractor, coming straight from OSV/Anchor Boats. So please, when you understand the industry a little more, and have at least a year behind your belt, come talk to me.

So that really only affects the GSF Explorer

Wasn’t the GSF EXPLORER flagged out?

Then why did you enter the discussion pissed at everyone like you had a chip on your shoulder? This is the first post you have made where you don’t seem like your are pissed off.

Nope… Sold to Transocean but still flying the stars and stripes.

Nope… Sold to Transocean but still flying the stars and stripes.

Back in 2010 it was announced that MarAd had given Transocean/GSF to remove her from the US flag. I wonder why they didn’t in the end especially since she is not in the GoM and doesn’t legally require US manning under 33CFR141?

Because I get tired of people wanting titles, I could care less if you called me OIM, Captain, Master or whatever you want on a Drilling Rig. I know my role, my responsibility, and there are some people who go after the title thinking that being an OIM is above all, I will keep those names to myself. I am a mariner, who works in the drilling industry, and we get shit on all the time by these companies and by the very people we protect and keep safe, I am not looking for glory or recognition, just to do my job, keep everyone safe, come home to my family and enjoy my pay check. I cant help it if people take things the wrong way. Helping other mariners and good people to get a foot in the door to this industry is all I want to do, because the recruiters for these companies have no clue and hire the wrong people usually.

Also, DP Semis usually will require OIM, BS, and BCO endorsements by their officers (DPOs, CM, Capt) but for some reason it seems like Drillships, although depending on what the Flag State will want, can get away with not having those titles associated with the mariner positions.

I heard the same thing but it never came through. My guess is they weren’t interested in the press getting more ammo to use against them during the Horizon disaster when senators were screaming about non-US flag vessels drilling in the GOM.