Offshore Oil Exploration Cut Backs

Hey c.captain, lets just ignore it because that’s just how we roll…NOT IN MY BACKYARD, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME…yeah baby! Anyone but us! We’re immune! Money will always be influenced by supply and demand

[QUOTE=z-drive;133513]Hey c.captain, lets just ignore it because that’s just how we roll…NOT IN MY BACKYARD, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME…yeah baby! Anyone but us! We’re immune! Money will always be influenced by supply and demand[/QUOTE]

What I am trying to do is install a sense of reality to what for the past 8 years has been rather surreal. We finally have discovered that wages can plateau and not continually rise forever even though more and more boats are built yet I also believe people in the oilfield should not become so complacent as to believe that things can’t go the other way either. If rig dayrates fall so will support vessel rates and if they fall, the owners will find ways to cut their operating costs. Not too many GoM mariners able to just pull out if there are wage cuts. Some will but most will be forced to accept them. I also believe drilling contractors will make certain hands take cuts. Hopefully starting with these 20 something DPO’s. No way in hell are they worth $160+K a year! Take 33% off of that and they still are making too much for what they do and offer to an operation. Effing internet whores all of em!

Sounds like they need to start a DPO union to protect themselves. That sounded an awful lot like a Joe Boss statement.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;133519]Sounds like they need to start a DPO union to protect themselves. That sounded an awful lot like a Joe Boss statement.[/QUOTE]

I only speak from what I see and read which is that we are in for downward spending by the oil majors…did you see that graph on the cost per well in the article and has that tracked with the value of a bbl of oil (and that appears to be land well costs and not offshore where a $400M well has happened already!)? Something has got to give and look at what airlines did when they had to cut costs? Take back from labor and in many cases it was union labor who sucked it up and accepted reality. Why should offshore operators not react the same?

Of course, what will suck is that labor will take cuts so that Joe Boss will stay just as profitable as always. That is what a union is supposed to prevent. Pain needs to be felt by all equally.

"Pain needs to be felt by all equally. " And what dimension is that in?

In any company in this country, when the bottom line is “threatened”, and “sqeezed”, labor and low level management feel this “pain”, no one else, ever.

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;133544]"Pain needs to be felt by all equally. " And what dimension is that in?

In any company in this country, when the bottom line is “threatened”, and “sqeezed”, labor and low level management feel this “pain”, no one else, ever.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I was speaking purely from a hypothetical standpoint and in no way do I see anything other than what you describe taking place in the GoM. It is certainly one place you won’t find a cop on the beat looking out to protect labor!