Odyssea mishap

Any info on why the Odyssea courage hit the Q4000?

[QUOTE=c.captain;148224][/QUOTE]

Is that passed out sleeping or passed out because of one two many?

According to a friend who works there, “Captain was alone on the bridge and was at the desk doing paperwork.” The vessel struck the lifeboat on the platform. The Captain apparently thought the coast was clear and that he had more time than he did. I know things at that particular company are pretty laid back, but I thought all companies required two P.O.B. on the bridge at all times while underway. However, if I wanted to play Devils advocate, where was the radio/radar operator who was supposed to be on watch on the platform? According to other vessels in the field, no call was made from the platform to the vessel. Had someone on the platform saw the vessel entering the 500 meter zone or from even further out never called over the radio to ask the Captain why he was getting so close. Anyone who has ever sailed past the LOOP facility knows that if you get within so many miles, they are calling you on the radio. It looks like there may be at least two job openings becoming available.

It has come down to a choice, either you navigate properly, and keep a proper lookout, and neglect the paperwork; or you neglect proper navigation,and don’t keep a proper lookout, in order to the excessive paperwork.

The time has come to put pursers aboard these small ships.

There isn’t that much paperwork to do. If you’re even a half assed organized person it’s easy to stay on top of. This can’t be blamed on paperwork. If the wx was calm most people would get safe distance from anywhere and come to a complete stop and drift. Then you can turn on a few dim lights and do paperwork. If the wx was bad and he was rat patrolling he should have had the deckhand come up and sit for a few at the wheel. Either way he should have had another person on the bridge. Isn’t this part of an AB’s duties as being a RFPNW? Is it watch tv or watch out the windows of the bridge? Isn’t that the old Trico Hondo or Spirit River? If so that’s a good sized boat. They should have DP where were the DPO/Mates?

I have seen “clerks” on some of the big foreign boats I have done projects with. They handle email and all kinds of other crap. Probably their term for purser. Any bite us boats have them? Floatel etc…

The only pursers I have seen were on factory trawlers.

But if a factory trawler can afford a purser, certainly a mudboat can too. Nothing is more important to the people in the office than good paperwork. They would rather have a crappy boat handler that writes good reports about all the dents he is putting in the boat than a good boat handler who doesn’t write any reports about why he isn’t making any dents. I am being a little sarcastic.

Only a very little sarcastic though…

Funny, my company doesn’t care for a report with more than 2 sentences.

We already got pursers onboard they’re called mates. Isn’t it a rite of passage through the ranks to have do all the paperwork and chart corrections? When things are run properly doesn’t the buck stop with the chief mate? He makes sure to spread the tasks around to the jr deck officers according to their strengths. All the Master has to do is fill out the particular forms only he can fill out and read and sign everything else which should have already been proof read by the chief mate. Why do we need pursers there are enough mate/DPO’s staring out the windows nowadays to do an entire set of encyclopedias worth of paperwork every hitch.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that it is supposed to work just like that. However, down in the mud hole we call Fourchon, there are no mates. You have the master and 13 captains. Sad but true. This system causes nothing but dick measuring and BS. It needs to stop. Just because you hold the license doesn’t mean that you hold the position.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;148502]We already got pursers onboard they’re called mates. Isn’t it a rite of passage through the ranks to have do all the paperwork and chart corrections? When things are run properly doesn’t the buck stop with the chief mate? He makes sure to spread the tasks around to the jr deck officers according to their strengths. All the Master has to do is fill out the particular forms only he can fill out and read and sign everything else which should have already been proof read by the chief mate. Why do we need pursers there are enough mate/DPO’s staring out the windows nowadays to do an entire set of encyclopedias worth of paperwork every hitch.[/QUOTE]

I guess I forgot about the big crews that you now have in Fouchon. I am use to working 6 and 6 with just one mate. Nor do we stop to do paperwork.

I suppose we need a merchant marine version now.

Someone told me they took the guy off in handcuffs and he is in jail right now?

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;148502]We already got pursers onboard they’re called mates. Isn’t it a rite of passage through the ranks to have do all the paperwork and chart corrections? When things are run properly doesn’t the buck stop with the chief mate? He makes sure to spread the tasks around to the jr deck officers according to their strengths. All the Master has to do is fill out the particular forms only he can fill out and read and sign everything else which should have already been proof read by the chief mate. Why do we need pursers there are enough mate/DPO’s staring out the windows nowadays to do an entire set of encyclopedias worth of paperwork every hitch.[/QUOTE]

The first few ships that I sailed on had pursers, but they also carried 12 passengers. A lot less paperwork than there is now, though. . . .

[QUOTE=Flyer69;148613]Someone told me they took the guy off in handcuffs and he is in jail right now?[/QUOTE]

I find it hard to believe that “they” took the captain off in handcuffs, unless he was drunk.