NTSB releases update on bridge collapse investigation

I still cannot understand why DALI turned starboard out of the dredged channel to run aground and hit a bridge pillar on the sea floor. Was this due to multiple blackouts aboard?

Yes. How are you not aware of that by now? The video released that night showed it blacking out…

3 Likes

I completely agree with that. As much as I prefer the screw type Phoenix or Dinkle DIN rail terminals I have found that smaller wires with ferrules can easily be pushed out of the contact area when the screw is tightened. The spring type are a pain to use (in my opinion) because it can be difficult to feel when the clamp is fully opened and stranded wire is inserted. It is very easy to get it wrong on either type. The only type that I really trust is the “Euro style” terminal blocks but they take up too much volume in most automation controllers and are seldom seen.

Alias Heiwa must have been recently in his private cryogenic chamber that got stuck due to technical glitch and have just been rescued by a medevac team or has an inceredible & eccentric sense of humor :joy: , completely ignoring zylions of Gbytes of info written on this forum on Dali.

Can not believe we all have wasted so much time preparing such an in depth brief for his careful perusal only to find it completely ignored . :sob:

4 Likes

So how does a ship turn starboard at all, when there is a blackout aboard? Don’t you need power to first turn the rudder so the ship then turns? I have seen that DALI is sailing again. The Norfork shipyard couldn’t even repair the buckled forecastle.

Norwalk shipyard? Details are important.

1 Like

Have you ever steered a ship? Even with less than 3 degrees right rudder, it will start drifting starboard, and even if the RAI says the rudder is centered doesn’t mean the ship will hold a perfectly straight course. Same happens in your car.

You’re assuming the rudder was perfectly centered when they went black.

3 Likes

On our little sailboat, it is noticeable that when I sharply reduce throttle, we turn to starboard until either the helmsperson or autopilot corrects it. The helm presumably has some starboard rudder in to counteract the prop walk and when thrust is reduced, that starboard rudder has to come off to maintain course. (right-hand single prop)

1 Like