Not for License Exam Fuel Consumption

Formally written y = m*x where m = 755/977 = 0.793245 and that is the slope of the line.

The plot is S1 = S2 (Sqrt(D1/D2)). Correct?

Yes, you can rewrite S1 = Sqrt [(S2^2 D1)/D2] as S1= (S2^2)^0.5(D1/D2)^0.5 = S2*Sqrt(D1/D2)

Isn’t m = 0.879 a better fit? At S1 = 10 S2 is about 8.8

Looks like the slope is square root of 775/977

Yes, my mistake, it would indeed be 0.879 that is rounded 0.88!

You’ve gotten a lot of help here, including everything you need to solve that problem. Time to buckle down and put your head to work. If you can’t figure it out, talk to a math tutor.

3 Likes

This one and two more is the only ones thats not adding up out of 25 questions .

Oh man… that is not the way for someone who self-styled himself ‘Captshane’ to get even more help.

I’d like to congratulate the forum for the restraint they showed thus far. Thank you all for being professionals and letting a fairly low level algebra problem be an opportunity for exchange of info and depending of understanding. The forum at its best.

Seriously tho, captshane. You literally have all you need in this thread. If it isn’t coming together you need to review that review of algebra link KC sent you. And if that doesn’t help—you need to reach out in the real world to someone, if you’re going for higher levels in marine work, and you should definitely aspire to do so, you need to put in the time and challenge yourself. There’s a lot of help and even straight up answers out there In internet land, but it’s time to learn to fish. If you don’t get that last bit, you really need to get further help in the real world.

For your latest problem, and this is the last help, write down all you know. Like fuel consumption 1 equals, fuel consumption 2 equals, speed 1 equals… in a list on a page. Then write down all the formulas you were shown in this thread. Cross off all formula elements you have and choose a formula that has one variable left. If you can’t do it from that—you do need to review (or learn) algebra. It will improve your life.

1 Like

Hey u self proclaimed math wizards. Im old school i never had to learn this math crap to drive a boat before, i just needing some help on some of these fuel problems,i only asked two questions for help, if u cant help without acting like a jerk i dont need ur help

Well that’s a good thing considering… imagine asking all the folks on the forum who did work on this stuff and demanding to get their job without paying the same dues. Then imagine how little help you will be able to give in the future to up and comers yourself. Or do you think you don’t have to help up and comers like you have received help here?

Now say ‘thank you’ for the help you know you have received and feel free to be on your way.

Thanks dutchie, im not good with algebra, trigonometry no problem

1 Like

Super work Dutchie, way to enable. KC didn’t deserve any of his thanks, so you were totally justified in liking Captshane’s post where he thanked you alone. That will send the appropriate message.

1 Like

U need to go and look back jamesbrown i did thank the ones that helped me

So you don’t think you have undercut your message at all, not even a little bit?

If you show your work it’s more convincing

Dude go away somewhere

U welcome cupcake

Awww, that’s so sweet. Tell your ma I said hey and don’t forget to register to vote, lamb chop.

Let me guess u sound like an elite liberal cupcake that likes making fun of someone trying to learn.

Vote for bernie cupcake

Odd choice of characterization given I literally insisted you learn instead of ask Jeeves style easy answers.

But you go ahead and vote Bernie if you feel like it.