NMC Saying "You're Approved" then Denying Upgrade

Received one letter (hard copy) as well as voice mail stating “You are approved pending testing.” Sat for exam, passed, submitted results, then received letter (hard copy) as well as voice mail stating “We made a mistake, you don’t qualify for the upgrade according to my supervisor. Sorry.”

Has anyone else been put in this situation? Is it worth pursuing as an appeal?

Traveling to exam, test prep tuition, hotels, time of, etc. was a big expense.

I was in a similar situation. In your case it depends on their reasons for denying you.

If you think there is a chance for a reversal by the higher powers, follow the appeal instructions, attach relevant copies, numbered, and refer to each one in order in your appeal letter.

Suggest your tone be matter-of-fact with no make wrong or opinions. Just the facts of the case to make it simple to approve your appeal. Good luck.

The evaluator actually called me inquiring about my seatime stating I didn’t qualify based on tonnage, but when I reminded him I was qualified based on days not gross tonnage he paused and said yup you qualify. The point is they do make mistakes so if you know you qualify then call and try to talk to the evaluator.

[QUOTE=Mullet Farm;142376]Received one letter (hard copy) as well as voice mail stating “You are approved pending testing.” Sat for exam, passed, submitted results, then received letter (hard copy) as well as voice mail stating “We made a mistake, you don’t qualify for the upgrade according to my supervisor. Sorry.”

Has anyone else been put in this situation? Is it worth pursuing as an appeal?

Traveling to exam, test prep tuition, hotels, time of, etc. was a big expense.[/QUOTE]

Did they say why you didn’t qualify? I ran into a hiccup with my upgrade from 3a/e to 2a/e. The lady at the REC was adamant that I needed to test for the upgrade. After an hour or so of going round and round we finally determined that her copy of the notebook listing upgrade requirements was out of date… by about six years. It’s hard to say if it’s worth arguing without knowing what changed their mind regarding your status.

It would be worth your while to talk to a license consultant such as Holly Chetta or Chuck Kakuska.

Money well spent. And they are on your side.

[QUOTE=Louisd75;142397]Did they say why you didn’t qualify? I ran into a hiccup with my upgrade from 3a/e to 2a/e. The lady at the REC was adamant that I needed to test for the upgrade. After an hour or so of going round and round we finally determined that her copy of the notebook listing upgrade requirements was out of date… by about six years. It’s hard to say if it’s worth arguing without knowing what changed their mind regarding your status.[/QUOTE]

More like 12 years. The policy eliminating testing for 2nd AE (and 2nd Mate) was published in early 2002.

Here’s a good one: I received the “Approved to Print” upgrade in status but an endorsement was dropped without notice, and no, I didn’t request them to remove it. I actually sent training certificates in so that the endorsement could be added without testing at the REC…

Your request to remove the DOMESTIC ENDORSEMENT (RAISES OF GRADE) portion of your application from the evaluation process was received on August 14, 2014. Contact the National Maritime Center at IASKNMC@uscg.mil or 1-888-IASKNMC if you have questions.

[QUOTE=water;142405]It would be worth your while to talk to a license consultant such as Holly Chetta or Chuck Kakuska.

Money well spent. And they are on your side.[/QUOTE]
Here Here!! I called Holly Chetta today, she’s very helpful, courteous, and knows the CFRs and will successfully fight for you.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=water;142405]It would be worth your while to talk to a license consultant such as Holly Chetta or Chuck Kakuska.

Money well spent. And they are on your side.[/QUOTE]
Here Here!! I called Holly Chetta today, she’s very helpful, courteous, and knows the CFRs and will successfully fight for you.

Update: MPT volunteered to run interference for me and did an excellent job. Top notch school. Nothing but good things to say about their entire staff, front office to instructors. Have taken several courses/tests there.

Wow- is the NMC real that uncoordinated