Need info. on medical person in charge

I currently have a 100 ton masters, ab\osv, mmd, stcw. In addition I am a certified firefighter and EMT. Will the EMT certification allow me to be medical person in charge without taking another class.
Thanks for your response

[B]IMHO[/B]…no…STCW “trumps” EMT, certified firefighter, cheif bottle washer or whatever else every time…we/they want your money…so show us a "benjamin"or two or three!!:D:D

Thanks seadawg. That’s too bad spent 3 months in school for my EMT. I worked on ambulances, er"s and had to assist with delivery. Now I have to do it again, being 23 with a fiance’ in law school this brings a financial burden. I do appreciate you responding to my question.

[QUOTE=DONNIE;43843]Thanks seadawg. That’s too bad spent 3 months in school for my EMT. I worked on ambulances, er"s and had to assist with delivery. Now I have to do it again, being 23 with a fiance’ in law school this brings a financial burden. I do appreciate you responding to my question.[/QUOTE]

See NMC Policy Letter 9-99. EMT certification is acceptable for Medical Care [U]Provider[/U], but not for Medical Care-PIC.

Medical PIC includes stuff that is not part of most EMT curricula, the subjects generally involve the longer period of time and potentially graeter scope of care provided at sea. This is the same reason why an EMT cannot teacxh the PIC course.

Why do you need medical-PIC? At 23 you’re young to be working in a position that requires it, especially if you’re going to law school.

Jdcavo,
Thanks for your reply. My fiance’ is in law school I am trying to get back on a boat.

I’m trying to understand why you need medical PIC, if you don’t need it you would obviously save some money by not taking it. I’m not sure why a 100 GRT Master or AB would need this course. IUf you’re working on your Master license you probably don’t have to meet the same STCW requirements as larger vessels on foreign voyages, and it would be unuusual to find a company/vessel that required an AB to hold medical-PIC or be designated as the medical PIC.