Nav Calculator For The iPhone

Dang!

Sent from my iPhone.

I currently have been using MaritimeCalculator. It’s nice, but there are a few short comings. Some of the features I think would make it nicer would be to have a way to quickly enter you’re positions without scrolling through all 360 degrees. If they wanted to use the scroll feature, maybe have all three places able to be scrolled, but honestly, a simple number pad would be better and faster.
some features that would be great to see on any navigational calculator that are easy to implement on an iPhone application would be:

1. Sunrise/set for any position and date
  2. Sailings both Mercator and GC
  3. Position by brg & dist.
  4. Relative wind in a simple format (ie. relative bearing in 360 degrees from your bow. Not true relative direction) that gives you actual true wind direction from. (If you use the current program you’ll know to what I am referring.)
  5. Azimuth of the sun at any time and position.
  6. Temp conversions
  7. Tides (this may be a hard feature to accomplish for sailors who travel the world. maybe a person would be able to download a few known ports and carry it with them).

First and foremost, a navigator would need to be able to use the full features without having cell coverage. So most of the features that people have talked about, like tide/currents, and celestial cals would require too much memory to not require a link up with the internet. Let’s keep any new app fairly streamlined that would be able to actually be used as the Celesticomp once was and for some of us, still is today.

There is an app called Flashlight that does any color you wish, or even a strobe.