Most useful foreign language in the shipping industry?

I am fluent in Spanish, so I am partial to it.

If it helps me in the maritime industry, that’s just an added bonus.:cool:

[ATTACH]1572[/ATTACH][QUOTE=CoastalDPO;62036]Fluent Coonass would be good for the Gulf of Mexico, I am not sure Rosetta Stone has that software yet.[/QUOTE]

ha good one there!

After English I think Spanish is the most useful language. I use rosetta stone while I sail but Immersion is the best way to learn. Right now I’m in Ecuador taking lessons. It’s awesome.

Spanish is probably the most universally useful language after English. Coonass helps too. I had a captain in the galley at the dock one day. He heard me come out of my room to shower and get ready for my night watch. He yelled up the stairs, “Throw me down the stairs, my boots”. I threw his workboots down to him and he thanked me. After my shower I asked him, “Would you also say, throw the cow over the fence, some hay”? He answered Mais yeah!

[QUOTE=seadog6608;62248]Spanish is probably the most universally useful language after English. Coonass helps too. I had a captain in the galley at the dock one day. He heard me come out of my room to shower and get ready for my night watch. He yelled up the stairs, “Throw me down the stairs, my boots”. I threw his workboots down to him and he thanked me. After my shower I asked him, “Would you also say, throw the cow over the fence, some hay”? He answered Mais yeah![/QUOTE]

Don’t you mean, “trow me dahn da stairs”?

Lots of guys from guinea, Matthews, and the reedville areas can be hard to understand too.

[QUOTE=Axelrod;62246]After English I think Spanish is the most useful language. I use rosetta stone while I sail but Immersion is the best way to learn. Right now I’m in Ecuador taking lessons. It’s awesome.[/QUOTE]
There are different levels of immersion. I learned what spanish I know at the self-defense level. My ex is from Colombia. I lived there for almost 2 years while working in South and Central America. Portuguese wasn’t too hard to transition while working in Brazil and Angola.

On another note, my ex was educated in the United Fruit Company school. They were taught English, Spanish and French from 1st grade on. She is fluent in 5 languages and can stumble through German. My youngest daughter has the same gift for languages.

[QUOTE=KennyW1983;62271]Lots of guys from guinea, Matthews, and the reedville areas can be hard to understand too.[/QUOTE]I was on a boat that was mostly Mathews boys. I knew I needed to find a new boat when the “Mathews Mumble” started to make sense.

Try going to Ocracoke. “Do ya kneo what tyme hoigh toide is?”

Sent from my SeaPhone using gCaptain

Im from Reedville and I get alot of looks down here from the coonasses! But I don’t think Reedville / Mathews guys are as bad as the Guinea and Tangier.

Ya your right about that. I’m from Norfolk so I’m close enough that I can translate northern neckese into English.

You must work for Allied or Mcallister!

Big rusty red!

[QUOTE=CoastalDPO;62342]Im from Reedville and I get alot of looks down here from the coonasses! But I don’t think Reedville / Mathews guys are as bad as the Guinea and Tangier.[/QUOTE]Thats what all the Mathews boys said too. “If you can’t understand me, you should hear a Guineaman.” Of course, he had to say if 4 times before I understood him.

Not sure if they are as bad as when a bunch of Tangiermen get together. You can’t understand them for $hit.

At Vane if you dont speak Tangier your screwed. I couldnt understand entire boats.

I wish I knew Visual Basic for Applications.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;62397]Thats what all the Mathews boys said too. “If you can’t understand me, you should hear a Guineaman.” Of course, he had to say if 4 times before I understood him.[/QUOTE]

I know where Tangier Island is in the Bay but where the hell does the term Guineaman come from?

Matthews county, western shore.

I believe there are three distinct areas of Matthews County. Mobjack, Guinea and the flag factory. So you’re from one or the other. Or so I was told! In a galaxy long long ago, far far away. A Guineaman is from way, WAY up the Piankatank River. Another waterman story.