McCain v. Jones Act 2

For example, if you are in Florida and you want to ship your less than container load furniture to Colombia, you can send it on Crowley. Crowley has a fleet of foreign flag container ships that serve The Caribbean and Latin Americs which sail out of Port Everglades. However, you deliver your freight to Crowley’s warehouse in the Everglades west of Miami in Hialeia. There Crowley’s non-English speaking low wage crew unloads your freight off your truck, and stuffs it into a container. The container is trucked 15 miles to Port Everglades. A week later it arrives in Colombia.

Does McCain have a brother in the Australian government?

"Up to 100 supporters and Maritime Union of Australia members gathered at short notice outside of the Tomago Smelter in New South Wales on Friday to protest the sacking of the CSL Melbourne crew.

The CSL Melbourne, like the MV Portland, is a coastal trading vessel that has been allowed to contravene coastal trading laws by being granted another temporary license by Australia’s Turnbull government.

The vessel was engaged to carry alumina from Gladstone to the Tomago Smelter, which is operated by Pacific Aluminium, a wholly owned of subsidiary of global multi-billion dollar miner, Rio Tinto. "

“It has a web of deceit in ownership, it is a classic flag of convenience vessel – it is Greek owned, it’s a Liberian flag… it has a full Filipino crew …"

“Pacific Aluminium has engaged the lowest of the low when it comes to international shipping operators to replace an Australian crew who are safe, who are productive, who are efficient.”

This sounds like a McCain wet dream.

“Pacific Aluminium has engaged the lowest of the low when it comes to international shipping operators to replace an Australian crew who are safe, who are productive, who are efficient.”

Is this facts or fiction? Who have determiner that Australian crew are safer than Filipinos?
You may argue that Filipinos can do the job for less cost, but do that prove that Australian crew is more clever, smarter or safer??
Please present your proof.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178086]The answer is the absolutely outrageous cost of the ridiculously overpaid US Longshoremen.

The way to save US consumers money on shipping costs has nothing to with the Jones Act. It’s long past time to trim back the power and cost of the Longshoremen.

The reason that we do not have “short sea” shipping in the US, The reason that we do not have very many barges carrying anything but oil on the East Coast, is because the grossly undereducated, anti-technology, anti-efficiency, overstaffed, and absurdly overpaid Union thugs known as Longshoremen make it cost prohibitive.

That is why container rates from Asia to the US are twice as high as the should be. Most of the cost is in US Longshoremen.

Also, this why Maresk is building a huge new terminal in Mexico with rail connections into the US. This will give them an enormous competitive advantage. I suspect that US flag container shipping will be completely gone in a few years. Killed off by US Longshoremen.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget about circumventing the costs for the pilots also. Thats legal extortion just like the longshoreman too.

http://gcaptain.com/amp-slams-erroneous-report-against-outdated-jones-act/

[QUOTE=Steamer;178143]Does McCain have a brother in the Australian government?

"Up to 100 supporters and Maritime Union of Australia members gathered at short notice outside of the Tomago Smelter in New South Wales on Friday to protest the sacking of the CSL Melbourne crew.

The CSL Melbourne, like the MV Portland, is a coastal trading vessel that has been allowed to contravene coastal trading laws by being granted another temporary license by Australia’s Turnbull government.

The vessel was engaged to carry alumina from Gladstone to the Tomago Smelter, which is operated by Pacific Aluminium, a wholly owned of subsidiary of global multi-billion dollar miner, Rio Tinto. "

“It has a web of deceit in ownership, it is a classic flag of convenience vessel – it is Greek owned, it’s a Liberian flag… it has a full Filipino crew …"

This sounds like a McCain wet dream.[/QUOTE]

McCain is a shill for the .1%. He and the ruling class have won when they succeed in having US citizens fight each other for the interests of corporations that stash their money abroad while using the infrastructure for free and moving the middle class into poverty. Strangely enough he and his kind keep getting reelected by people who apparently insist on sliding further down the abyss while blaming everyone but themselves for the declining standard of living for the majority of citizens. It is so bad in the USA now that more Mexicans are moving back to Mexico than into the USA. McCain’s interest lies with big Ag who want to pad their profit margins and if that means US workers lose their jobs? US workers are expendable and serfs which are only needed when some oil company or contractor needs a war fought. Low or nonexistent civilian wages are a major factor in recruiting.
Vote no incumbent

[QUOTE=ombugge;178145]
Please present your proof.[/QUOTE]

I don’t need to. If you are arguing the opposite it is your job to prove the report is wrong. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Steamer;178205]I don’t need to. If you are arguing the opposite it is your job to prove the report is wrong. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
Are you actually believing that Australian crew are somehow superior to their Filipino counterpart?
Statement like "Australian crew who are safe, who are productive, who are efficient” needs to be proven, especially if they want to compare to Filipino crews, or just about any nationality in my humble opinion.

As someone who have surveyed a number of offshore vessels returning from stints in Australia, with compulsory Australian Union crews I can assure you that the standard of maintenance and general condition has deteriorated drastically, even after 3-6 months periods.
It takes days to clear away the “MUA Here to Stay” stickers and weeks to get even the paperwork back to scratch.

In fact a lot of Australian seafarers, especially Masters and Chief Engineers, doesn’t want to work in Australian waters because of the problems with Union crews who spend their time finding something to complain about, not working.

That is what killed the British Ports and Merchant fleet in the 1970s/80s. Now some of the personalities behind that is in charge of Unions in Australia and are killing what little is left of the Australian Merchant fleet.

As far as the “built in America” part goes, I’m curious. How many ships (not osv, tugs, ATBS etc) are US flagged and built over seas and how many are US flagged, Jones Act Approved?

What would it do to shipyards if ships were allowed to be built over seas, but as long as it’s US Flagged, it must have its shipyard period in the US?

I agree longshoremen are grossly overpaid, I’m all for keeping jobs and less automation, but they’re robbing companies. I agree some pilot associations are over paid, but they do have a purpose. You want a big ol’ tanker steaming into your port with people who don’t know the port?

What he said ^^^^^^^

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;178226]As far as the “built in America” part goes, I’m curious. How many ships (not osv, tugs, ATBS etc) are US flagged and built over seas and how many are US flagged, Jones Act Approved?

What would it do to shipyards if ships were allowed to be built over seas, but as long as it’s US Flagged, it must have its shipyard period in the US?

I agree longshoremen are grossly overpaid, I’m all for keeping jobs and less automation, but they’re robbing companies. I agree some pilot associations are over paid, but they do have a purpose. You want a big ol’ tanker steaming into your port with people who don’t know the port?[/QUOTE]

For lists of built in US, check out MARAD fleet statistics, especially the current ‘privately owned’ list. Anything with a ‘Y’ in ‘Jones Act Eligible’ column is almost certainly built in US. For ease, you can use the 2000-2014 table, which is tabbed.

http://www.marad.dot.gov/resources/data-statistics/

What would it do to the shipyards? Make them smile, employ US laborers and make them smile—if the yards could survive in the absence of US build requirements. If US crews make US ships as ‘safer’ and ‘more efficient’ as Aussies do for Aussie ships, the same logic applies to US repair welders and engineers on US ships, right? :wink: But if that is the impact for allowing a foreign build yard over US for build requirements, before you know it, the large ship operators will insist that US repair yards lack technical capacity for the repair and maintenance so it wouldn’t be possible to use them (or they would claim that because they are so inexperienced and inefficient they couldn’t deliver any repairs in a timely manner, probably both). There’s a reason for the Jones Act US build requirement to foster the domestic building (and repair) capacity so a home-grown capacity is available for defense.

But, there are already requirements and/or incentives to use US shipyards vice foreign in the laws and regs. However, operators game this system pretty well to avoid any impact.

Defence of what? MSC has a number of US Flagged ships built over seas, including the one that disposed of all that mustered gas. Look at the Crowley ran Hagpag Lloyd ships with the cranes. Built over seas but US Flagged. They get a kick back from the government so that in the ever the government needs a vessel that can offload itself, they have 5.

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;178231]Defence of what? MSC has a number of US Flagged ships built over seas, including the one that disposed of all that mustered gas. Look at the Crowley ran Hagpag Lloyd ships with the cranes. Built over seas but US Flagged. They get a kick back from the government so that in the ever the government needs a vessel that can offload itself, they have 5.[/QUOTE]

Thats a question for the 1920 congress who passed the Joes Act and 1991 Congress that allowed the foreign build:

http://magazines.marinelink.com/Magazines/MaritimeReporter/199111/content/appropriations-conference-approves-209241

of course, the subsequent low performance rating gave rise to MSP, in which even more foreign build vessels then entered US Flag, and get paid to do so… But we kept the ready reserve anyway? And build grey hull logistics USNSes… How much sealift do we really require might be the better question.

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;178226]I agree some pilot associations are over paid, but they do have a purpose. You want a big ol’ tanker steaming into your port with people who don’t know the port?[/QUOTE]

SOME? and as far as knowing the port and its waters, why must pilot associations be monopolies with exclusive rights to providing the service? The old saw is that it promotes safety…but if standards are set as to who can become a pilot why would safety not be maintained and allow competition into a FREE commercial market place? I OBJECT TO THE DE FACTO MAFIAS THAT ARE MODERN AMERICAN PILOT ASSOCIATIONS!

[QUOTE=c.captain;178244]I OBJECT TO THE DE FACTO MAFIAS THAT ARE MODERN AMERICAN PILOT ASSOCIATIONS![/QUOTE]

Only state pilot organizations are monopolies since certain vessels are legally obligated to take state pilots.

There are rogue state pilots out there, as in theory, in many cases, you only need a state commission not necessarily be a member of an association. They’re very few and far between but they do exist.

Federal pilots operate independently and there are plenty of renegades providing federal pilotage services with no association.

[QUOTE=z-drive;178247]There are rogue state pilots out there, as in theory, in many cases, you only need a state commission not necessarily be a member of an association. They’re very few and far between but they do exist.

Federal pilots operate independently and there are plenty of renegades providing federal pilotage services with no association.[/QUOTE]

but control of pilotage regulations is retained by states so one cannot serve as a “pilot” in a state’s waters with a state issued license and the pilot’s associations control the state legislatures…can you tell me one example of a “rogue” association forcing a state into recognizing them?

btw, coastwise trade vessels don’t count, the states control foreign flagged and US flagged vessels in foreign trade and THAT is where the big bucks are made

there are guys who operate on LI sound who are not members of the northeast pilots who are the big “association”, Bridgeport/new haven if I recall correctly. Also there was a coup in Maine years ago that gutted the existing association and installed a new gang.

I know how the system works, and it’s a joke in many cases. I do agree it’s a crooked monopoly. There are always exceptions to what we know as standard circumstances out there though.

[QUOTE=z-drive;178087]yes, that has a lot to do with it. and luckily they’re starting to automate ports slowly but surely here. Good riddance[/QUOTE]

Ports America is leaving Oakland for 'Greener pastures", but it has nothing to do with the longshoremen, they say: http://www.supplychainbrain.com/content/blogs/think-tank/blog/article/a-port-with-too-much-container-space-welcome-to-the-bizarro-world/
Do you believe them??

I have shipped a few containers from the USA to Singapore, cheapest trip in the world.