Mate - Sause Bros. Ocean Towing - Coos Bay, Oregon

Sause Bros.has been serving the Pacific Rim since 1938. Sause Bros owns and operates a fleet of towing tugs from 3,000 hp to 6,000 hp. We’re dedicated to providing the highest quality of service, with …

More…

oh the joys of wire towing off the West Coast in the winter!

GoM mariners who have never been there have no clue at all what working in the lower reaches of hell is like. Bar crossings with full loaded barges slipping wire just enough as you go in to keep the heavy pigs from piling up on jetties in narrow entrances with breaking seas. Only those with steel nerves that are calm, cooled, collected and chain smokers need apply!

Haha you couldn’t be more right there sir. Many of butt cheeks are consistently clenched.

Yes, even us who brave the foul North Atlantic have the utmost respect for those who put up with the Pacific’s shit. It pales in comparison.

[QUOTE=z-drive;125596]Yes, even us who brave the foul North Atlantic have the utmost respect for those who put up with the Pacific’s shit. It pales in comparison.[/QUOTE]

yes, what makes the Pacific so incredibly foul in the winter is that is lies without any protection at all to some of the most intense fronts and low pressure systems and then throw in long fetch for seas to become towering swells and then add to that most of the harbors are inside river mouths makes the West Coast simply a miserable cruel BITCH for the poor sods who brave it out there week after week this time of year. Many years ago I was mate on tugs towing caustic soda into Humbolt Bay in the dead of winter. God, the horror of it getting one’s ass kicked for weeks on end without letup. Just had to keep plowing on…what else could one do and all that for a whopping $155 a day too boot. Makes me seasick just thinking of it!

I wonder what a mate gets out there today?

[QUOTE=c.captain;125598]yes, what makes the Pacific so incredibly foul in the winter is that is lies without any protection at all to some of the most intense fronts and low pressure systems and then throw in long fetch for seas to become towering swells and then add to that most of the harbors are inside river mouths makes the West Coast simply a miserable cruel BITCH for the poor sods who brave it out there week after week this time of year. Many years ago I was mate on tugs towing caustic soda into Humbolt Bay in the dead of winter. God, the horror of it getting one’s ass kicked for weeks on end without letup. Just had to keep plowing on…what else could one do and all that for a whopping $175 a day too boot. Makes me seasick just thinking of it![/QUOTE]

Decided to try towing, just to see what it was like. Hired on at Longview, Wa., and got the shit beat out of me for more than half the 30 day tour. We were towing log barges between Vancouver Island and the various mills on the Wa., Ore., California coast. One trip we were off Coos Bay headed for Eureka in a nasty northwester that forced the cg into closing all the bars for 4 days. Knowing we were stuck offshore and had to ride it out, and making too good, we turned to and bucked into it while getting pushed downhill patiently waiting on the weather. What a miserable way to make a living. I did one more trip later because they were short, but haven’t been back.

Sause mates were about 435/day as of 6 months ago…free health insurance…and the west coast runs were all oil barges.

[QUOTE=“tradsailor;125605”]Sause mates were about 435/day as of 6 months ago…free health insurance…and the west coast runs were all oil barges.[/QUOTE] Chief Mate with some seniority $465 day they use the ATO system of pay, half 465 ATO wise. And yes you do take an ass kicking on the west coast. Even in the summer your bucking NW wind all the way up the hill, LA to Flattery.
And they have a general cargo run to the Hawaiian islands, mostly oil runs, with some west coast lumber trade to SoCal.

It’s not good for multi-beam sonar wet transducers, I can attest to that. Your tax dollars will be replacing one next year.

LA to Newport, OR wasn’t too kind to the old girl.

Is Sauce still IBU?

So that’s $465, plus $232.50 of ATO, totaling $697.50 per day?

At least the boats are a lot nicer than they use to be. All twin screw now.

No…465 ÷ 2…half when you work and half into your ato account. But hey, it’s great experience. As far as I know IBU but it sounds like left coast has the more current info.

Brusco…scary…

[QUOTE=“tugsailor;125612”]Is Sauce still IBU? So that’s $465, plus $232.50 of ATO, totaling $697.50 per day? At least the boats are a lot nicer than they use to be. All twin screw now.[/QUOTE]

IBU top to bottom, ATO (accumulated time off) work a full year you get $232.50 a day, you don’t get your money straight up like let’s say SIU Crowley ATBs west coast. Work 32.5 days you get 32.5 days off at 232.50 a day. Licensed crew are equal time off. Don’t count on a on the dot schedule like some companies in the GOM or Crowley ATBs. Figure 30 minimum and 50 to 60 max, average 40 to 45 days, at least that’s what I remember.

[QUOTE=Left Coast;125621]IBU top to bottom, ATO (accumulated time off) work a full year you get $232.50 a day, you don’t get your money straight up like let’s say SIU Crowley ATBs west coast. Work 32.5 days you get 32.5 days off at 232.50 a day. Licensed crew are equal time off. Don’t count on a on the dot schedule like some companies in the GOM or Crowley ATBs. Figure 30 minimum and 50 to 60 max, average 40 to 45 days, at least that’s what I remember.[/QUOTE]

That kind of money is just not worth it for beating yourself senseless out there in the shit. Things have certainly gone all askew in this business now that the GoM became the big bucks place to be. The easiest work is the biggest money…something just ain’t right about that math.