Maritime academy’s, and commercial crew and cruise lines

What if you want to see the world and get to eat at the buffet everyday and don’t care much about salary?

Do you still think there will be a lot of people knocking on doors in three years?

You won’t get to do that on cruise ships.

1 Like

I really hate to burst your bubble but the extent of the world most will see in this modern day merchant marine is the seamen’s club close to berth.
I really wish the general public could wrap their heads around the reality of this industry. It is not romantic.

4 Likes

If the buffet matters more than salary, go for it. I was fed quite well on most of the vessels I worked on. As I said before, I don’t have a crystal ball regarding knocking on doors in three years, but odds are high it will go on for quite some time. If you want to see exotic ports, go on a cruise ship as a passenger. (You still get the buffet) or maybe not with this pandemic stuff. As crew, you rarely get off the ship, on most vessels for that matter. Too busy working or resting from said work. Turnaround times these days are very quick, many less than 24 hours. Damn Yankee nailed it.

1 Like

He’ll get to see the same tourist traps over and over again.

3 Likes

If he even has time to get off the boat.

2 Likes

I went on a couple of cruises to please the missus. Port stays were 8 hours. They want you spending your money on extras they offer on the ship, not on the beach.

1 Like

Thx for the info, I will share with my bride. Many of our friends have been on cruises,(Mostly Caribbean/Mexico) and enjoyed the activities on board, especially the buffets. Port time was very short. Another couple we know took one of the river cruises in Europe and got to see some pretty cool, historic places. Again, port time was very short. Seems like the food was the best part of my cruising friends’ trips. The friends on the Europe tour enjoyed the daily view underway rather than staring at the ocean.

1 Like

I’m not a big foodie so the buffet attraction was lost on me. On one of the trips I met another captain who worked in the GOM. We were ordering drinks at an open air bar on deck and he was on the cruise for the same reason I was so we hit it off. At sea, we ended up hanging out together for the rest of the cruise getting shit faced at the same bar and telling sea stories while our wives were getting pampered in the salons.
The attractions like zip lining or excursions in port are in business with the cruise lines who hawk tickets and make reservations before you dock.
8 hours on the beach is just enough time for passengers to enjoy an activity and maybe buy a couple of trinkets. They don’t want you wandering too far off and spending money where they won’t get a cut. As a business model, it’s pretty tight.
I ended up renting cars and driving away from the prepackaged circus to hang out with locals who didn’t make their living on the plantation.
As you can probably tell. I’m not a big fan.
A word of caution: going off the reservation in Jamaica and after hanging with rastas, the drive back back to the ship on the wrong side of the road can present a special challenge.

3 Likes

I’ve been on at least 8 cruises and really enjoy getting to see places and move on with out having to pack up every time

Whatever floats your boat. I’m ok with living out of a suitcase or seabag. I don’t unpack unless I’m going to be somewere for several weeks.

Did have run to Freeport Bahamas for a while. My lips are sealed.

There is a bases for all these romantic stories of far flung ports and booze flowing like a river but the problem is most of the participants have crossed the bar or suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia. Some like this old bastard just sit quietly and smile into our beer.

2 Likes

That is one of the main reasons I want to work on a cruise ship you go to more scenic destinations.

You’re obviously very young. Follow your dreams if you want a rich life. Ignore advice from people whose only goal in life is financial security, they are usually dull. Just know that the going can get rough on the road less traveled but in my view the rewards are worth the effort.

1 Like

You answered your own question with your last post. Many seasoned mariners on this site are there to offer their experiences with that and other phases of the industry . No one wishes you ill will, but start over from the first post you made, and read the responses from credible mariners. I really do wish you success in whatever route you decide. Most mariners deserve a shot, I always was of the mind if I had to be away from my family and friends, get the most bank I could. Not a pleasure cruise working at sea, but can be rewarding.

My brother has seen more of the world working in software than I’ve seen going to sea. There’s a lot more tourism on a regular business trip than during one of our port stays in this industry!

2 Likes

Someone should point out the obvious: Mr Ben-Ken may is probably looking in the wrong direction for a career. I don’t get the feeling he is going to blend in and assimilate on a merchant ship if his top priority is the buffet and looking out the window. Just my two cents.

1 Like

Very true… maybe hotel services staff on a cruise ship might be more in line with his goals? They seem to get a great deal of liberty depending on the company and their position. Though I grant that we deck officers do look out the window quite a lot…

1 Like