Maersk Alabama C/M Sued

[QUOTE=PR-9;167333]I believe that guy is trying a “get rich quick” move based on a stupid move by the Captain. What happen to Mariners been tough???
This story should had read… Captain Murphy was sent to the hospital due to injuries sustained when he tried to put a machete against a Mariners throat during a drill.[/QUOTE]
Precisely !

The interesting thing about the typical U.S. deep-sea captain’s response to the piracy problem in the GOA was the high regard they held for their own opinions. Some felt there was no reason to truly evaluate the expertise of other parties including ship captains with experience in the area.

It boils down to arrogance. Not just piracy but other areas as well including how to manage a crew. What could a organizational psychologist who’s never been to sea a day in his life have to say to a ship captain on the subject of how to treat the crew?

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;167379]The interesting thing about the typical U.S. deep-sea captain’s response to the piracy problem in the GOA was the high regard they held for their own opinions. Some felt there was no reason to truly evaluate the expertise of other parties including ship captains with experience in the area.

It boils down to arrogance. Not just piracy but other areas as well including how to manage a crew. What could a organizational psychologist who’s never been to sea a day in his life have to say to a ship captain on the subject of how to treat the crew?[/QUOTE]

US mariners have a reputation for arrogance. Many times I have heard "He’s actually a good captain, engineer etc., for a US guy."
Chants of “we’re number 1” were obviously taken at face value when they should have been asking, “number 1 at what exactly?” A little humility goes much further than any arrogance. There was book written many years ago called “The Ugly American” which should be required reading, especially to those few who venture beyond the border of the USA. I have prefaced a speech to new mariners going ashore outside the USA for the first time with,"OK guys have fun. Try not to act like your from the USA. "

When I started in 1977 in the oilfields I tolerated a lot of shit from ignorant people. Then when I went deep sea it was a whole new ballgame. I remember wishing the old timers would retire so we could have younger captains/mates. Once my wish came true, I again tolerated shit from ignorant people. For the last dozen or so years I’ve longed for the old timers back. As I stated before, I’d sue that stupid prick too. Fuck him and all the other Johnny Come Lately’s.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;167382]US mariners have a reputation for arrogance. Many times I have heard "He’s actually a good captain, engineer etc., for a US guy."
Chants of “we’re number 1” were obviously taken at face value when they should have been asking, “number 1 at what exactly?” A little humility goes much further than any arrogance. There was book written many years ago called “The Ugly American” which should be required reading, especially to those few who venture beyond the border of the USA. I have prefaced a speech to new mariners going ashore outside the USA for the first time with,"OK guys have fun. Try not to act like your from the USA. "[/QUOTE]

WHATTYA MEAN HERE SIR! We’re the USA, the last and only superpower on the planet. Don’t discount us just because our merchant fleet is a tiny antiquated assortment of mishmash vessels and our offshore industry is filled with ignorant boobs. We are predominant! And don’t disparage us because we spend vastly more than we earn on government and consumption because the value of the US dollar is guaranteed by 14 carrier battle groups and a bigger military that all the rest of the world put together. We are a powerhouse! And please don’t say we are weak just because we sign onesided trade deals with every little two bit country that never ever will have enough money to buy anything from the US anyway and allow countries like China to artificially devalue their currency without any repercussion. We are so incredibly strong that we are awesome! And don’t talk down about the USA because we aren’t an enlightened progressive multicultural land filled with different ethnicities all getting social welfare like those European nations, because we are, but we’re just not enlightened and progressive. And do not shit upon the Stars and Stripes for being an oligarchy run by the very, very wealthy for their own enrichment because corporations are people and the rich know better than all the unwashed morons who only care about the current size of Kim Kardashian’s assets. We vest power in those who have earned it and paid in full…no credit extended to deadbeats! That is what makes us who we are which is great!

Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we’re not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

[QUOTE=c.captain;167389]WHATTYA MEAN HERE SIR! We’re the USA, the last and only superpower on the planet. Don’t discount us just because our merchant fleet is a tiny antiquated assortment of mishmash vessels and our offshore industry is filled with ignorant boobs. We are predominant! And don’t disparage us because we spend vastly more than we earn on government and consumption because the value of the US dollar is guaranteed by 14 carrier battle groups and a bigger military that all the rest of the world put together. We are a powerhouse! And please don’t say we are weak just because we sign onesided trade deals with every little two bit country that never ever will have enough money to buy anything from the US anyway and allow countries like China to artificially devalue their currency without any repercussion. We are so incredibly strong that we are awesome! And don’t talk down about the USA because we aren’t an enlightened progressive multicultural land filled with different ethnicities all getting social welfare like those European nations, because we are, but we’re just not enlightened and progressive. And do not shit upon the Stars and Stripes for being an oligarchy run by the very, very wealthy for their own enrichment because corporations are people and the rich know better than all the unwashed morons who only care about the current size of Kim Kardashian’s assets. We vest power in those who have earned it and paid in full…no credit extended to deadbeats! That is what makes us great!

Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we’re not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen![/QUOTE]

In the words of my granddaughter…WHATEVER

[QUOTE=tengineer1;167391]In the words of my granddaughter…WHATEVER[/QUOTE]

BAH! Says you and what army?

They’re in the GOM now, hope them shrimp boats don’t get them worked up!