Looking for more consistent work

Hey,so a little background on me, I’ve been working for the same company as an unlicensed engineer for going on three years now, it’s a fun place to work but the work isn’t consistent and the money isn’t great. Work looks like it is going to slow down soon and I’ve decided to move on when it does. I’ll willing to do anything but ideally I would like to go blue water. I have my basic safety certificate, and I just recently got my qmed-oiler, and a rfpew endorsements. My questions would be how badly has the slow oil market affected the the availability of jobs at the union halls? Are there any other endorsements I can get to improve my chances of finding a job fast? Are certain halls better to go to than the others? And if the hall is a bad idea, is there a better way of finding a job? Thanks

[QUOTE=davelympia;164010]Hey,so a little background on me, I’ve been working for the same company as an unlicensed engineer for going on three years now, it’s a fun place to work but the work isn’t consistent and the money isn’t great. Work looks like it is going to slow down soon and I’ve decided to move on when it does. I’ll willing to do anything but ideally I would like to go blue water. I have my basic safety certificate, and I just recently got my qmed-oiler, and a rfpew endorsements. My questions would be how badly has the slow oil market affected the the availability of jobs at the union halls? Are there any other endorsements I can get to improve my chances of finding a job fast? Are certain halls better to go to than the others? And if the hall is a bad idea, is there a better way of finding a job? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Get your vessel personnel with designated security duties cert. Lots of places looking for it.

You don’t work for dear ol Uncle Sam, do you?

You don’t work for dear ol Uncle Sam, do you?[/QUOTE]

No it’s a supply boat company up in Boston

Almost anything is better for finding a job than hanging around a union hall as an applicant or new member.

[QUOTE=davelympia;164010]Hey,so a little background on me, I’ve been working for the same company as an unlicensed engineer for going on three years now, it’s a fun place to work but the work isn’t consistent and the money isn’t great. Work looks like it is going to slow down soon and I’ve decided to move on when it does. I’ll willing to do anything but ideally I would like to go blue water. I have my basic safety certificate, and I just recently got my qmed-oiler, and a rfpew endorsements. My questions would be how badly has the slow oil market affected the the availability of jobs at the union halls? Are there any other endorsements I can get to improve my chances of finding a job fast? Are certain halls better to go to than the others? And if the hall is a bad idea, is there a better way of finding a job? Thanks[/QUOTE]

As far as shipping at the various halls, that information requires some effort to acquire and thus has some value.

I can’t think of any reason why someone that had that information would want to share it here.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;164023]As far as shipping at the various halls, that information requires some effort to acquire and thus has some value.

I can’t think of any reason why someone that had that information would want to share it here.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I figured, I just wasn’t sure if they all worked from the same job pool or if each hall was different. I was trying to decide whether to go to the cheapest area to stay, or if there was some strategy to it

[QUOTE=davelympia;164027]That’s what I figured, I just wasn’t sure if they all worked from the same job pool or if each hall was different. I was trying to decide whether to go to the cheapest area to stay, or if there was some strategy to it[/QUOTE]

Each port calls jobs for the ports that hall covers. If a job is not filled it goes “open board” in other halls. The details vary by union.

If you’re serious about wanting to ship out it might be worthwhile to go to the hall and see what you can learn. I don’t have any info but you might have good luck with oiler/qmed ticket.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;164023]As far as shipping at the various halls, that information requires some effort to acquire and thus has some value.

I can’t think of any reason why someone that had that information would want to share it here.[/QUOTE]

I can give my thoughts on SIU, but I am a member who had a sobering and depressing talk with my local port agent.

OP, you may want to look at the government agencies like MSC and N0AA.

[QUOTE=catherder;164032]I can give my thoughts on SIU, but I am a member who had a sobering and depressing talk with my local port agent.

OP, you may want to look at the government agencies like MSC and N0AA.[/QUOTE]

I read posts here about how horrible the SIU is but I don’t really hear that on the ship. The SIU mariners talk about good and bad captains, mates, chiefs, ships, runs, weather, food, OT, ports, schedules, crews, bosuns etc but not much discussion about the SIU itself. It’s kind of like local government or a utility, mostly it just doesn’t create that much passion. Maybe the mariners that are satisfied got no reason to post here.

I do not know much about the deepsea side of the SIU. I hear that guys with A or B books do ok, or at least meet their expectations, shipping out of the hall. I hear that the guys with C books have trouble shipping.

I know a little more about the SIU Inland tug contracts. The companies hire directly, not out of the hall, but the guys must join the union. The primary function of the union seems to be to keep wages down for the companies.

I have belonged to two maritime unions. One did what it promised to do, but the contract wages were too low (the employer had too many loopholes in the contract to avoid paying overtime). The other union did not do anything it promised to do and the contract was not enforced at all. The contract wages, OT, etc. were very good, but the wages actually paid by the employer were not. The union did absolutely nothing for us. That was enough of unions for me.

As far as shipping out of the hall goes, personally, I would not want to spend weeks or months of my time off hanging around a union hall hundreds of miles from home at considerable expense begging for a job.

I prefer to email out 20 resumes and make a few phone calls from home, and then wait for an offer that interests me. Most jobs seem to come through networking with people I know.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;164035]I do not know much about the deepsea side of the SIU. I hear that guys with A or B books do ok, or at least meet their expectations, shipping out of the hall. I hear that the guys with C books have trouble shipping.

I know a little more about the SIU Inland tug contracts. The companies hire directly, not out of the hall, but the guys must join the union. The primary function of the union seems to be to keep wages down for the companies.

I have belonged to two maritime unions. One did what it promised to do, but the contract wages were too low (the employer had too many loopholes in the contract to avoid paying overtime). The other union did not do anything it promised to do and the contract was not enforced at all. The contract wages, OT, etc. were very good, but the wages actually paid by the employer were not. The union did absolutely nothing for us. That was enough of unions for me.

As far as shipping out of the hall goes, personally, I would not want to spend weeks or months of my time off hanging around a union hall hundreds of miles from home at considerable expense begging for a job.

I prefer to email out 20 resumes and make a few phone calls from home, and then wait for an offer that interests me. Most jobs seem to come through networking with people I know.[/QUOTE]

I’m doing ok on my own, too. I have two jobs next month. Once I have my motor licenses I expect things to get better. I test end of this month.

I can join MEBA gov’t services, but I don’t see the point of that, what will I get for 400 bucks a year? A magazine?

[QUOTE=catherder;164041]I’m doing ok on my own, too. I have two jobs next month. Once I have my motor licenses I expect things to get better. I test end of this month.[/QUOTE]
Good luck and hope it goes well.

[QUOTE=catherder;164041]I’m doing ok on my own, too. I have two jobs next month. Once I have my motor licenses I expect things to get better. I test end of this month.

I can join MEBA gov’t services, but I don’t see the point of that, what will I get for 400 bucks a year? A magazine?[/QUOTE]

good health benefits too right?

[QUOTE=Ctony;164068]good health benefits too right?[/QUOTE]

I already have health benefits through my employer. Actually, also have lifetime medical via retired military spouse, till I go on Medicare.

Their school is supposed to be good.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;164035]I do not know much about the deepsea side of the SIU. I hear that guys with A or B books do ok, or at least meet their expectations, shipping out of the hall. I hear that the guys with C books have trouble shipping.

I prefer to email out 20 resumes and make a few phone calls from home, and then wait for an offer that interests me. Most jobs seem to come through networking with people I know.[/QUOTE]

Asking about union jobs on here is like asking Cliven Bundy his opinion on a job at the BLM.