Lobbying for Merchant Mariners

Post has been withdrawn due to those who don’t recognize an advocate when they see one.

Sheesh…I guess I have been learned by you!

But if you are going to keep bleating that mantra about the merchant mariners taking greater casualties percentage wise to the uniformed services try to remember it was all unifomed and not combat uniformed…makes a BIGGER DIFFERENCE!

Let me also say that I do not want to pick a fight with you because we are on the same side, but I have the right to dispute claims I believe are not justifiably made and further I think your manner suddenly landing in this forum, climbing onto your high altar and then writing as if I and others here were not in fact experienced merchant mariners makes you come across as more than a little bombastic. I’ll say that it certainly puts me off.

now good day madam…

Post has been withdrawn due to those who don’t recognize an advocate when they see one.

you have obviously not been here for the 10+ years as myself

yes, please do

yeah! I am sick of you as well

btw, please remind the good admiral that the National Maritime Strategy required by the Congress of the Administration something like 5 years ago still has yet to be seen by a single living soul. I perish to think you would ask him why it has not been as you fawn all over him but you might ask him what his golf handicap is these days?

you also might think to ask him why he never ever returned the call to John Konrad as he promised he would?

1 Like

From what I’ve read here (been lurking for over a year) and seen in the James River, our “emergency” sealift is rotting away in the James River and off the California coast. It is sad to see the old WW2 Liberty Ships at anchor, rusting away. To think that this is our national emergency strategy for sealift is embarrassing.

To make matters worse, the Army has decided that the US no longer requires the Army Reserve to perform the Intra-Theater and Ship-to-Shore/Over the Beach missions vital to getting supplies from the ships to the shore where there is little or no port infrastructure. The Active Component was having a tough time crewing the vessels they had, and now they have even more vessels that they will not be able to crew. Bureaucratic thinking at it’s best/worst.

2 Likes

Yeah, 10+ of nothing but bliss. :roll_eyes:

You’re fighting with Sheila. Really? Do we need to put you back in the box of shame?

2 Likes

I’ll certainly say that it is not nearly as fun as it used to be…all my favorite shipmates are gone. I feel like the sole survivor of some ugly battle where there are mangled bodies and severed limbs everywhere.

who is this woman anyway? the grand dame of the sea of something? I had never once heard of her before until the other day and btw, I was not wanting to fight with her but only correct the claim she makes (just as was made at KP 35 years ago) but she kept yelling back at me with ALL CAPITALS! (I’ve got to admit that took me aback a bit and gave me a taste of my own medicine which tastes terrible…like sulfur)

no need as I am already ahead of you…you probably have noticed I have been fading gradually into the setting sun…I really find little professional satisfaction here now days nor much chance to use my trusty stick so what is the point? Let Ombugge take over for me…seems he intends to anyway so why not just give it to him? I pity those who stay here after he does tho

Hey, I’ve got a swell idea…let’s fix Ombugge up with Shesova. You’ve got to agree that they’d make a lovely couple.

2 Likes

who is this woman anyway? the grand dame of the sea of something?

Yes I am the Grand Dame of the Sea. I tried to tell you captain that you were behaving badly and that I was going to tell on you. Let that be a lesson to you when you get out of the box of shame. Signed Grand Dame of the Sea. Remember that. Thank you John.
Sheila

trust me, I will never forget it

sheesh

1 Like

Your agenda is great, but saving the jones act is not your primary focus.

Again, great agenda, but right now my money will be going elsewhere as I would like to save our livelihood.

1 Like

I would expect so. Most of the USMM vets from WWII are long gone.

I agree with others that while your cause is laudable, the USMM would be better served by efforts that focus on the current dire state of our industry.

But can’t you see your mission does not resonate here with us working mariners who see our industry becoming a skeleton? Yes, recognition for all those men (now mostly all dead and buried) is a just and valid cause but it is not one we here are overly concerned with. We here want to see the US Administration and Congress get their heads out of their asses and do anything to stop this withering of the fleet. The very first thing we need to see is the maritime strategy the Congress has mandated the Admin to present…now many years overdue. That is why I asked you to mention that to Mark Buzby when you see him.

Recognizing the efforts and sacrifices made by men seven plus decades ago is fine but it does nothing to make the sorry state of affairs today any better and that is why you get to meet men like Buzby. Because it is easy for them to give out ribbons and plaques and pose in front of the camera while they do and at the same time totally avoid doing any heavy lifting such as promulgating policies to save a dying (yet critical) industry.

2 Likes

Trump does not understand much. He was just persuaded by the political realities.

3 Likes

Since when were they barred?

I am sorry, but your vision of the reality of the US Merchant Marine and ours here might as well be viewed from different planets. You are that far away from where we sit.

2 Likes

Ah hahahahahahahahaha!!! LMAO

As George Takei likes to put it…

“Oh MYYYYYY.”

3 Likes