License?

They will make enquiry as to why someone was submitting seatime for a position They are NOT qualified for. This recently happened to my ‘second mate’. The company gave him a sea service letter with his time listed as second mate. He got an email back from NMC asking for clarification as to how he has second mate time when he has no license. The company got a letter asking why they were issueing this letter to an Unlicensed Individual. And I had to help educate both the employee and the HR that this guy is a TANKERMAN PIC and NOT a second mate no matter what the company calls the position. Of course egos being what they are no one wants to be told that they are not the ‘barge Captain’ anymore, much less that they aren’t the ‘second Mate’ either! Some things about NY suck. Especially the Yankees!

Cappy,

From what I have seen, they will turn you down but that is as far as it goes. The only way that will change is IF someone applies, has an accident after being turned down, and someone can prove the USCG knew about it and by their inaction on something they were supposed to enforce are found to be culpable.

Sad as that is, somebody either made this decision and nothing is being done (sad and dangerous if in writing) or the enforcement and investigations branch is undermanned and no one will fund it (welcome to the third world) somebody does not want to tick off the owners who are responsible for illegal operation (close to the truth) or complete lack of understanding of allowing people to run illegal (government and industry working together to ignore the rules).

Until you get people in positions of power making decisions AND having the balls to follow-up on them that may upset the apple cart to screw up their retirement job, you won’t see these tough decisions made. You will see the guys and gals who put forth the time and effort (ham and eggers) getting screwed directly by the companies by hiring and paying less and indirectly by the USCG by not backing up the licensed guys and gals by overlooking illegal time admitted to by an applicant and a company.

Not only did cappy just say he has had a tankerman who was investigated (along with his company) but there was someone posting on here a year or so ago that was under investigation because he was running outside the scope of his license.

Two out of how many?

Like the war on drugs, if they catch two tons, two hundred made it through. Otherwise why would cocaine be cheaper and more pure than it was in the late 70’s?

I am not saying they do not, I am saying not very often.

Iirc, there have been around 7 of these instances that have been written about on GCaptain in the last year or so. Of course there’s more, we just don’t hear about them all.

Look, they can’t read their own CFR’s half the time. Then they get Policy Letters that they get challenged on and misinterpret. Then they get in bed with state regulatory commissions and commissioners.

I am sorry, after 22 years, other than search and rescue, aids to navigation and incredible ability to work with nothing…

Wait, what were discussing?

1 Like

no

1 Like

That’s worse than “2nd Captain” in the GOM