Licencing and mega yachts

With a USCG 3rd mate Unlimited, would finding work on a mega yacht be fairly easy because of the massive license compared to the average 200 ton/ yachtmaster? Any other advise/ info is really appreciated. Thanks!

Depends if you know how to handle a boat. A lot of guys on big ships couldn’t dock a 200’ ship if their life depended on it.

If you’re going to post 2 pretty similar threads try to condense them into a single thread to prevent 2 parallel conversations from sprouting up. 1 is always better

As to your question, no, finding work on yachts with a USCG 3/M U/L is not easy. Americans the world over have developed a reputation for being lawsuit-happy (a well earned and well deserved reputation, much to the dismay of many of us…) and no yacht owner wants to take the risk of hiring someone who might slip on a banana peel and sue them for twice what the yacht is worth. As such, Americans are an extreme rarity in the yacht (and even cruise ship) world. By no means does this indicate that there are NO Americans in that sector, but it has been my experience that those are extremely special cases. I even know of one person who created a fake identity with a non-American citizenship just to work as a deckhand on a yacht that he knew would turn him down for being an American.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;168785]If you’re going to post 2 pretty similar threads try to condense them into a single thread to prevent 2 parallel conversations from sprouting up. 1 is always better

As to your question, no, finding work on yachts with a USCG 3/M U/L is not easy. Americans the world over have developed a reputation for being lawsuit-happy (a well earned and well deserved reputation, much to the dismay of many of us…) and no yacht owner wants to take the risk of hiring someone who might slip on a banana peel and sue them for twice what the yacht is worth. As such, Americans are an extreme rarity in the yacht (and even cruise ship) world. By no means does this indicate that there are NO Americans in that sector, but it has been my experience that those are extremely special cases. I even know of one person who created a fake identity with a non-American citizenship just to work as a deckhand on a yacht that he knew would turn him down for being an American.[/QUOTE]

Even if that were true — which it isn’t — that is something that would be better left unsaid.

Plenty of Americans have good yachting jobs. Spend a few days on the docks in Fort Lauderdale, or Newport, or Annapolis, and various other places, and you will see that for yourself.

I know plenty of Americans who have worked on yachts at one time or another. I see lots of yachts with American crews too. Depends on who owns it and where it will really operate too.

[QUOTE=seastheday;168766]With a USCG 3rd mate Unlimited, would finding work on a mega yacht be fairly easy because of the massive license compared to the average 200 ton/ yachtmaster? Any other advise/ info is really appreciated. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Do you possess the massive ego to go along with that massive license of yours?

indications point to the affirmative