Largest 2,999GT vessel

Any idea whats the largest vessel (ship, OSV, yacht, tug) that is under 2,999GT. I work on yachts and always surprised when I see 90 meter plus under 2,999GT. I have read about the Hawaian dinner boat that is largest 99GRT.

[QUOTE=coldcreepin;174674]Any idea whats the largest vessel (ship, OSV, yacht, tug) that is under 2,999GT. I work on yachts and always surprised when I see 90 meter plus under 2,999GT. I have read about the Hawaian dinner boat that is largest 99GRT.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the admeasurement criteria.

[QUOTE=cmakin;174686]Depends on the admeasurement criteria.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t the admeasurement criteria for GT standardized? That was the whole point of the International Tonnage Convention…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;174704]Isn’t the admeasurement criteria for GT standardized? That was the whole point of the International Tonnage Convention…[/QUOTE]

Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-106hrpt531/html/CRPT-106hrpt531.htm

[QUOTE=Steamer;174743]Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-106hrpt531/html/CRPT-106hrpt531.htm[/QUOTE]

Your point?

The vessel in question was measured under the ITC standardized GT and they wanted an exemption to qualify as equivalent to under 100 GRT. That doesn’t mean GT isn’t standardized…

[QUOTE=coldcreepin;174674]Any idea whats the largest vessel (ship, OSV, yacht, tug) that is under 2,999GT. I work on yachts and always surprised when I see 90 meter plus under 2,999GT.[/QUOTE]

Since GT is a measure of size the question itself doesn’t make sense. It’s like asking what’s the largest 5 gallon bucket?

If your asking specifically about length, as far as an OSV goes the 3,000 GT point is somewhere right around 280’ long. Some other hull design could easily have a different length for that gross tonnage.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;174756]Your point?

The vessel in question was measured under the ITC standardized GT and they wanted an exemption to qualify as equivalent to under 100 GRT. That doesn’t mean GT isn’t standardized…[/QUOTE]

It means that domestic gross tonnage can be declared whatever an owner is willing to pay a congressman to call it.

[QUOTE=Steamer;174760]It means that domestic gross tonnage can be declared whatever an owner is willing to pay a congressman to call it.[/QUOTE]

That has nothing to do with the question being posed to us. He asked about GT, not GRT…