Large ATB's Vs. Product Tankers- comparissons and opinions

Down in Tampa we pretty much have a direct competition between tankers and ATBs for transport across the gulf. I think the short transit gives the ATBs an edge, but I question the long term viability especially for major engine work. For instance the crew of the sulfur enterprise can preform everything down to the crank on her single wartsila. Whereas the legacy has two slightly smaller wartsilas, and I can’t even figure out where they put them let alone having a 3 axis gantry overhead for servicing.

[QUOTE=injunear;65859]The low manning scale, lack of promised shore-based support, increased work-load and and wage plateau were instrumental in my opting for early pension. When the OPA90 rules and “hours worked” log was implemented, premium OT was taken out of our contract. When I pointed out on several occasions that I was regularly exceeding my hours, I was told to “learn to better manage my time”. After an epiphiny, I told them “I could manage my time very well with a fishing rod or shotgun”! My only regret is I didn’t retire a year eariler…[/QUOTE]

No argument there. 6 x 6 is brutal, and for an chief engineer or captain, even more so. Add in maneuvering, paper work and other items that just don’t get done on watch. . . . .Even with a three watch system I was always busy.

[QUOTE=exsubguy;65866]Down in Tampa we pretty much have a direct competition between tankers and ATBs for transport across the gulf. I think the short transit gives the ATBs an edge, but I question the long term viability especially for major engine work. For instance the crew of the sulfur enterprise can preform everything down to the crank on her single wartsila. Whereas the legacy has two slightly smaller wartsilas, and I can’t even figure out where they put them let alone having a 3 axis gantry overhead for servicing.[/QUOTE]

The engines are pretty tight on the Legacy. Will be fun when its time to pull cylinder heads and liners.

I worked on the First I-Con tug, the Intrepid and just about all of the I-Con boats the Maritrans had. The I-Con system was pieced together rather than installed in one piece as the are today. As for ride, I have been out in some pretty bad storms and the ride might have been a little rough but it was hands down from being on the wire.

From what I understand new build tugs with Intercon units have the Intercon coupler room built at their plant in Kansas. The coupler room is shipped down and the tug is basically built around the coupler room. This is just what I’ve heard. Tug barge couplers is just a small section of Intercon’s business, they design systems for jack up rigs, etc

I’ll crack and give some insider photos. Fancy photos by Brian Gauvin. [ATTACH]1855[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1856[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1857[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1858[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1859[/ATTACH]

Ok I’ll break down and give some insider pictures of ATB Legacy/ 750-1. Enjoy.

Wow great pics. Although judging from how they wedged the mains in there, I would be scared to see the purifier room.

Ask and ye shall receive.

LO Purifiers

HFO purifiers

Fuel Conditioning Module (FCM)

Nice looking pics there. I’ve seen those build up little by little in Anacortes but never got over there to check them out. I work on the 550s as a mate. Gotta say that the hours suck after a while, I get used to it but not for everyone I suppose. We only usually have 8 crew aboard but recently we’ve been carrying an extra engineer. Were actually short two 2nd mates, so if anyone has a clue to who has 1600 mates or higher, towing and tanker pic (one who actually knows how to strip, flush, roll, push, operate IG system, fill out a DOI!, etc.), then call the Seattle office to put your resume in!

Thanks for the pictures. As was said they sure jammed those Mains in there!

Well it looks like they have some sympathy for the engineers. Thanks again for the pics, there’s been a lot of curiosity on my boat.

Oops my stoopid smart phone double posted

And there is more. Wish I had some of the cargo handling equipment for you deck guys.

Thermal Oil Boiler

Fuel Handling Room

The large control room

Swtichboard

Harbor Generator: Cummins QSK19

This is for Crowley and its a short of two 2nd mates through the WC fleet. Figured y’all would realize that, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the pictures highseas. Appreciate those.